Author Topic: Using Wifi during a residential power outage?  (Read 4088 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Using Wifi during a residential power outage?
« on: Friday 16 September 16 00:18 BST (UK) »
My Mum always taught me that there is no such thing as a silly question.  So here goes with my "non" silly question. ???

I had a letter from my power supplier stating that there would be two planned power outages on Wed. 5th October, while work is being done on local roading and cabling. One outage is from 6.30am until 8.30am, and the other is 8.30pm until 11.30pm!

Stupid times for power cuts, don't know why they're not doing them very much earlier in the morning - (thinking of people getting to work and school etc)).

Obviously, my PC won't be working, but I have an iPad, and wondered, if I have my battery on that fully charged, will I still be able to connect to Wifi and the Internet from the iPad. The thought of sitting in the dark for three hours without TV or Internet is driving me crackers, morning not so bad, as I don't usually get up before 8.30 anyway 😜

I've tried googling, not had any joy there, the results seem to all relate to iPad power problems, not local total power outages.  Anyone got any answers to my non-silly question for me?

Thanks
Jeanne🌺

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Using Wifi during a residential power outage?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 September 16 00:32 BST (UK) »
What do  most people need to power the wi-fi?  Electricity surely.  If you have no electricity then the wi-fi won't work.

Hhmm, you could run the internet provided your phone line is working, see link below:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-have-internet-when-there-is-no-power/

seems a bit fiddly though and you would need all the bits and pieces mentioned.  Not necessarily items you would have handy in the house!
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 September 16 00:36 BST (UK) »
If your Wifi is powered by a plug into the power point modem then no the iPad won't work.

If your iPad has a SIM card inserted it will work, as it will if you use a mobile modem which will also contain a SIM card.

Whether the iPad will last the three hours depends on what you are doing with it during that time. Surfing the net and posting on Rootschat, reading the news or downloaded books, yes it most likely will.

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 September 16 00:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you Girl Guide and Jamjar.  You replies indicate to me that this was indeed a stupid question!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 September 16 00:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Girl Guide and Jamjar.  You replies indicate to me that this was indeed a stupid question!

Never stupid, just 'senior moments'.  ;D

J.
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 September 16 00:58 BST (UK) »
Do the bus's   in your district have Wi-Fi?     Have you got a bus pass?    Answer if yes to both, hop on the bus  with your I pad.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 September 16 11:39 BST (UK) »
They have given you the times of the power cuts,but I bet they won't actually last as long as they say.

Won't you be getting up and dressed between 6-30am and 8-30am anyway.

Bit of a b****r that they're turning you off for up to 3 hours at night,when people need lighting and the TV?

I think I'd be asking them WHY???

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 September 16 12:04 BST (UK) »
Do the bus's   in your district have Wi-Fi?     Have you got a bus pass?    Answer if yes to both, hop on the bus  with your I pad.
That's assuming buses run at those times! Where I live they don't run after 6pm  :(
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 September 16 12:16 BST (UK) »
You may have a number of options:

If you live in UK, you can download in advance a film or two or other programmes from the BBC iPlayer and then watch them off-line. You wiil need to make sure you have the latest version of iPlayer so check that first.

If you are an Amazon prime member and have their "Firestick" you can also download free films from there.

If you use BT phone and internet, you may live close enough to a live BT Wifi connection so you will need to remember establish your log-on credentials.

You might need to ensure you have fresh batteries in your radio.

You might finally read that book you've been meaning to get round to starting?

There was that letter from wotsername to which you've been meaning to reply.

Then in decreasing and desperate order of attraction;

Ironing
Cleaning out that cupboard - you know which one I mean!
Throw away all those bills you've filed (stuffed) into the draw.

When all else fails, I find red wine makes the time fly by.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f