Author Topic: Using Wifi during a residential power outage?  (Read 4085 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Using Wifi during a residential power outage?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 18 September 16 10:55 BST (UK) »
Check if a friend/family member who will not be affected if they have a battery pack for 'bump' starting a car. They often have a mains socket, which you can use to power the modem. Landlines have their own power for the phone. You need it 24 hours in advance as they often take that long to recharge if not used in a while. And check to ensure the power is not too 'dirty' for 'delicate' equipment.

Ken

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 18 September 16 11:56 BST (UK) »
I'm chuckling here Jeanne at the some of the suggestions, especially as one outage is planned for 8.30pm - 11.30pm. I can't see that you'd want to be riding round on a bus at that time of night, especially with an iPad in your hand.  ;D

Seriously though, I'd be questioning why they are planning to turn off the electricity at that time of night, in your winter, when it will be cold! It could cause a lot of serious problems for the very young or very old where electricity is the only form of heating.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 18 September 16 12:09 BST (UK) »
The elec supply company may need to prune or cut back tree branches which can encroach upon the overhead supply cables?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 18 September 16 12:37 BST (UK) »
The elec supply company may need to prune or cut back tree branches which can encroach upon the overhead supply cables?

Surely that would be done during daylight, not at night?

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 September 16 12:46 BST (UK) »

I agree it does seem an odd time to plan an outage, specially considering the weather....surely the same objective could be reached during daylight off-peak times???
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 September 16 12:53 BST (UK) »
Seriously though, I'd be questioning why they are planning to turn off the electricity at that time of night, in your winter, when it will be cold! It could cause a lot of serious problems for the very young or very old where electricity is the only form of heating.

That's what I said on Friday, I think I'd be asking them why they need to turn you off at such odd times?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 18 September 16 12:56 BST (UK) »
This thread is a big turn off.      ;D
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 18 September 16 20:05 BST (UK) »

Surely that would be done during daylight, not at night?

Yes, during the daylight, doesn't usually involve turning the power off, the flagmen are there navigating the traffic.   When ours went off for the allocated days, it did involve cables, and a helicopter, as the power cables were being upgraded and going across the river. 

Cheers
KHP

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 18 September 16 22:55 BST (UK) »
I have absolutely no idea why they're doing it. They're always digging up the roads somewhere - road works, new subdivisions, ultra hi speed internet cables, fibre,  etc etc. 

Any people with in-home medical needs which require electricity get catered for through their care providers, and there's always a phone number to call on notifications about outages etc.

The one I understand less, is the morning one, when people will be getting ready for work, school etc. At least in the evening, everyone will be able to get their dinner over, and into bed to keep warm if it's cold.

Compared with all the poor souls who lost power for days on end during the recent storms, I've got no problem.  I was just being pippy about no internet or TV - which is, after all, rather petty in the scheme of things - silly old woman that I am!   ::);D ;D
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections