Author Topic: How long did sailors stay aboard a Receiving Ship please?  (Read 497 times)

Offline sunic

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
How long did sailors stay aboard a Receiving Ship please?
« on: Friday 16 September 16 11:41 BST (UK) »
My ancestor was aboard HMS Aetna for just over 2 years 1841-1843.  When I looked it up I see she was a 'receiving ship' in Liverpool.  Apparently this is for seamen in transit between 2 ships.  Is it normal for someone to be in this position for so long?  It came up because he doesn't seem to appear on the 1841 census.  Apparently sailors weren't enumerated unless they were ashore.  Would this fit?
Thanks
Sunic
Weston, Winnicott, Randall, Grout, Farndell, Thompson, Crunden, Crees, Abraham, Lawless

Wicklow, Portsmouth, Devon

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How long did sailors stay aboard a Receiving Ship please?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 September 16 09:01 BST (UK) »
According to the National Archive HMS Aetna was a surveying ship in 1841. Its logs are in the National Archives. Use their Discovery search to discover what is available.

Ken

Offline sunic

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 September 16 11:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I will.  The pbenyon site says that she was a surveying sloop, but at the time of the 1841 census she was being used as a receiving ship in Liverpool.

Sue
Weston, Winnicott, Randall, Grout, Farndell, Thompson, Crunden, Crees, Abraham, Lawless

Wicklow, Portsmouth, Devon

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 September 16 12:24 BST (UK) »
It came up because he doesn't seem to appear on the 1841 census.  Apparently sailors weren't enumerated unless they were ashore.  Would this fit?

For the 1841 Census there was only a Head Count for members of the Royal Navy aboard ship, those on shore were fully enumerated.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk