Author Topic: A Sugar Refiner in Tower Hamlets originating from Hanover, Germany  (Read 2829 times)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: A Sugar Refiner in Tower Hamlets originating from Hanover, Germany
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 September 16 15:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's me .... keeps me busy  ;)
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline diana2646

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 September 16 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire and the gentleman called Sugarbakers.  Thank you both for all the information you have sent.  I am thrilled to bits to have you both helping me.  Also I am very pleased to have the actual person who runs the website helping me too! It is a very good and informative website.

I am very interested that you say you have a timeline for Peter Frederick Harms.  I saw the record that you are referring to re the trip to New York, but wasn't sure if it was my Peter or not.  It is interesting to know that in Germany it is usual to drop the first Christian name, as I have found this two or three times since I have been looking into the Harms family.

I would be very grateful for any help you can give me.

Thanks, Diana
Whitney:South Wales/West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset. 
Feltham: West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset.
Whitney: Surrey, Kent.

Offline diana2646

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 September 16 20:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry I forgot to say: I found from Peter Frederick's marriage record, that his father was Johann Harms and he was a farmer.

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 September 16 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi - Living in Leman Street in 1850

London Evening Standard 27 November 1850:

THAMES [Police Court]
MURDEROUS ASSAULT AND HIGHWAY ROBBERY
James Walsh, 25, a labourer... was charged with assaulting and stealing from the person of Peter Frederick Harms, a German sugar-baker, of Leman Street, Whitechapel, a sliver watch and guard, value 5l 16s.

The Prosecutor stated, through Mr Strauss, the interpreter, that on the previous night, about 10o'clock, he was talking to a female acquaintance under one of the arches of the Blackwall Railway  when a person ame up and began shoving him. Others then came up and he was knocked down. When he was down the prisoner stamped on him with his feet,and he ultimately discovered that his trowsers had been torn and his watch taken from his pocket...

Rob

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 September 16 21:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Rob ... places him at the centre of East End refining. Will add to database asap.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

Offline diana2646

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 September 16 21:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that Rob.  I very much appreciate the information.
Diana

Offline kiwilou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, researching my ancestors and have Jacob Priggen in the 1851 Census Mile End Old Town 35 Glouster str as being a sugar refiner and he and his relations are from Hanover, Prussia/Germany also. 

I looked at the site someone said to visit and on it the list of Priggens doing sugar appears to be about 5 of them.  Through this i can now see why my great grandfather who married a Priggen was coaxed into apparently buying a sugar plantation and dealing with sugar in Vanuatu in the early 1890's. 

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 April 24 10:02 BST (UK) »
kiwilou, welcome to Rootschat.

Interesting to see if those Priggens were related, and exactly where they came from in Germany ... Hanover is too large an area.
Note that I also have Jacob's probate summary on the website ... was it the Chapman family that you connect to, by any chance?

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 April 24 10:58 BST (UK) »
hi...another sugar bakers descendant here....I don't if it was the lutheran tradition or a geographical custom, but all the sons and brothers...and of course the father....in my family begin their name with the. same first name...in this case, christian.-.followed by another name...which is presumably the one they were known by in the family.....this doesn't  happen with the. girls.

a tip for anyone whose sugar. bakers seem to suddenly disappear....try Liverpool
there was a big Tate and. lyles sugar factory, which employed almost exclusively german labour....and, of course, a cake culture grew up around it....theres the famous German church, of course....my lot. started off near the Tower of London. and then moved on to. Liverpool