Author Topic: William Dolton Barnes 1871-1957 Winterton,Lincolnshire  (Read 2710 times)

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Dolton Barnes 1871-1957 Winterton,Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 15 October 16 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Debbie
We know that William's father George was born c1865 so when searching the censuses for a William born c1890 we have to match both their ages (+/- 1 year) with their names.
I have just started a quick search of the 1891 census  RG12 piece 1239 folio 25 page 15 and there is a George and Mary A Barnes with a son William age 9 months. Mary A and the children born Huntingdonshire, George born Whitchford Cambridge and he is a farm labourer.
The idea is to then follow them to the 1901 and 1911 censuses. If any of the father's named George died prior to 1939 then he is not our man
I will see if there are any other contenders in 1891.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 15 October 16 22:03 BST (UK) »
Following the Somersham Huntingdonshire William to 1891 they have moved to Yorkshire. The name has been mistranscibed- an r instead of an s and George's occupation has changed to railway plate layer! But Doncaster is only 25 miles from Scunthorpe.
84 Nelson Street Doncaster
George Barner  35
 Mary A Barner  32
 George Barner  11
 William Barner  10 Somersham,
 David Barner  9
 Sam Barner  6
 Cyril Barner  4
 Harold Barner  1
 William Barner  27 brother

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 15 October 16 22:13 BST (UK) »
1911 George is in Lincolnshire and is a farm labourer. William is not with them but a swag of other children are.

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 October 16 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Crisane.
Many thanks for this info, i will take a look, as for them living in  Doncaster its 30 mins by car from our home town Scunthorpe, and as for the Cambridge and Huntingdonshire connection for the rest thats a complete new area for my family if this is indeed them.
Once again many thanks
Debbie xx

Barnes,Driffill,Altoft,Thompson,Metcalfe,Owbridge,
Houlton,Parker,Barrett,Dowse Wild,Kennan all in and around scunthorpe,winterton,winteringham,burton stather,Paull nr hull, Preston nr hull,caistor,market rasen,middle rasen, Storrs -Scunthorpe,Parrett-Hull,Clark -Tealby, Booth,Calhoun- Driffill-Bradford,Londonderry,Ellerbeck- Kirby Yorks,Stephenson- Yorks,Jowett -Thorne yorks,James.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 October 16 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Debs,

A bit further back for you with this Family we have;

MARRIAGE;
09 Oct 1859, St Andrew, Witchford, Cambridgeshire
Samuel BARNES, Labourer, Bachelor age 26
Sarah SABERTON, Spinster
Parents;
JOHN Barnes, Labourer
RICHARD Saberton, Labourer
Witnesses- Sarah Ann Barnes/William Peyton
Groom signed X

BAPTISMS, same Church to this couple;
HARRIET ANNN, 19 Aug 1860
RICHARD, 24 Aug 1862
GEORGE, 19 Nov 1865******
WILLIAM, 16 May 1869 (birth 16 Dec 1868), Buried 6 Jan 1873 age 4
SAM, 16 July 1871
WILLIAM, 13 Sept 1874
ANN ELIZABETH, 1 May 1878, Private Baptism, sick, Buried as Annie Elizabeth 6 May age 9 days
CHARLES, 2 Nov 1879

SAMUEL Barnes was Baptised same Church 11 March 1833 to JOHN/SARAH
SARAH Saberon 8 Sept 1839 same Church to RICHARD/ELIZABETH

Sarah Parentss Marriage is on FreeREG;
RICHARD Saberton 1829

All on FreeREG

Also on Census Samuel is married to Elizabeth by 1891 Census, Marriage on FreeBMD Reg 1884 to Elizabeth ALSOP

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 17 October 16 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi trish,
many thanks for the info you have given me,
i will hold on to it as im not able to confirm as yet that this is the correct family im following im waiting confirmation for a death cert before i progress down the childrens line.
This is due to the fact this family isent local to where i hail from,and ive no other family from down their. So im only doing fact finding at the moment.
I will hopefully know more when i get confirmation of the death cert if her husband is listed as George Barnes,as i know he was alive in the war census 1939 living in scunthorpe with my great grandmother(this info for 1939 census is all i have on George with a son William barnes b1890(my great grandad) and hes down as a widow,and i cant find another death for Mary ann Barnes,in the scunthorpe area.If this all ties together then i have a whole new area to go into and the info you have given me will be great start.i will also know where my William b1890 was born.
once again i thank you for the info youve found heres hoping we are on the right path.
Debbie  :D
Once again Many thanks
Debbie xx
Houlton,Parker,Barrett,Dowse Wild,Kennan all in and around scunthorpe,winterton,winteringham,burton stather,Paull nr hull, Preston nr hull,caistor,market rasen,middle rasen, Storrs -Scunthorpe,Parrett-Hull,Clark -Tealby, Booth,Calhoun- Driffill-Bradford,Londonderry,Ellerbeck- Kirby Yorks,Stephenson- Yorks,Jowett -Thorne yorks,James.

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 29 October 16 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi all just to let you know i have now received the death cert for Mary ann Barnes (nee cooper) mother of the original post William,William was present at death and registered the death also,and George is on the certificate as Husband  and occupation matches 1939 census, so looks like im finally on right track with the family we know  now came from Huntingdonshire, and landed in my local town via Doncaster in the census's.
May i thanks you for all your help and i have a complete new family line to follow which will be interesting.
Many thanks
Debbie  ;D

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Excellent :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)