Author Topic: Williams Family  (Read 7212 times)

Offline Ms. Smokestoomuch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Williams Family
« on: Wednesday 21 October 09 01:03 BST (UK) »
Rootchat is a great find. Even reading other peoples queries can bring a bit of knowhow.

This is actually my partners family. I got roped in when I came to dead ends on my own family.
I actually was able to get the blacksmith book here in a Dublin library. It just mentioned William.
William's father John, had been a blacksmith too. He died 6th Oct 1867 and according to the rent books, William his youngest son took over the forge. There's a gap then for about 10 yrs before Richard O'Brien, Williams nephew, started running the forge in Ballymoney. (Richard is my partners grandfather.)

Williams siblings are confusing. I a bit weary that his father John may have had a first cousin John Eustace that may muddy the water.
But here's the possible out line.
William I think was son of John (1800-1867) and Catherine (1796-1874)
Siblings:Richard (1824-1864)
Anastasia (1826- 1891)
 Owen (1835-1911)
Bridget (1840- ?)
I've Williams death cert. William was born about 1828 and died 1908 a widower.

With William's father were tantalizingly close to the blacksmiths that made pikes in the 1798 Rebellion.
And further back than that is that ballymore eustace story thats knocking around the family. Brothers William and John Eustace had to flee. One went to France and became a Papal Count. and the other went to Wexford. So I'd say many a son was honored with the name John or William.

Now there is many a second cousin, from many of corner trying to figure this family out. They're nearly all scratching their head longer than us.

I know more info there then you needed for your tree but on roots it's always wise to remember that occasionally a brainbox buts in and solves some issue that you weren't expecting. It's a wonderful thing.
Edit: Oops! was wrong there about who was in the book I never checked what I had found.
Rafter, Smith, Hession, O'Gara, Leech, Durkin, McManus, Eustace, O'Brien, Hyland, White, Hoey, Maher, Martin, McConaghy, Flynn, Davy.
Ballybough, Ballina, Ballyinaglea, Sligo , Casleconner, Killucan, Royal Canal. Ballymoney(wex).

Offline lochgarman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Any tips for researching in Gorey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 October 09 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, oky dok. its a bit of bummer when you get stuck but then you get the lucky breaks!

Looks like you have two dates for William Eustace - he was born about 1828  or 1840 depending on whether you go with the marriage or death cert.

When you talk about Ballymore - where is this? Is it somewhere in Co.Kildare? or is it in wexford?

I will pull the bits together on williams wife margaret sunderland so you can that bit on!

Gerard
Fleming, Walsh, Masterson, Tobin of Co. Kilkenny.
Doyle, Donovan, Kennedy, Sunderland, Behan, Pender, Kinsella of Co.Wexford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 October 09 02:01 BST (UK) »
Here's a  related grave though I never found William's.
I think Owen is his brother and it refers to Parents and sibling.

Forgot to say that Anastasia his sister is the direct relative we're after rather than William. Thats my partners Great Granny. But the blacksmith thing has been helpful in finding out more. Anastasia is buried in Kilcavan graveyard on Tara Hill in Wexford but William didn't turn up there either.

Rafter, Smith, Hession, O'Gara, Leech, Durkin, McManus, Eustace, O'Brien, Hyland, White, Hoey, Maher, Martin, McConaghy, Flynn, Davy.
Ballybough, Ballina, Ballyinaglea, Sligo , Casleconner, Killucan, Royal Canal. Ballymoney(wex).

Offline elizabeth5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have 8 pages on Eustace and o brien family tree if you are interested also all kilcavan grave names .

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes  :D

Can't  believe it.
I see it's your first post
There's something about having 3 messages under your belt before we can message each other privately.
So if we do a bit of back and forth here.

Are you related yourself?

Offline elizabeth5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi  reading back you seem to have a lot of info. f From  these pages of family history I will send you a little         The eustaces sprung from ballymore Eustace in co kildare and there resided Will and John Eustace.It was the time of the troubles and John being too Irish was driven out of the country. He went to france and there he was made a papal count.Now when he died he left a chest of gold  to the grand nieces and nephews of John Eustace.In those days very little money so  the solicitor could not take up the case to redeem the chest and it was returned to France.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 15:06 GMT (UK) »
I recognise the wording there.
Think I'm hearing Anas Spencer from beyond the grave.

It's my partners family. I've found a number of second cousins for him online searching the tree.
They all share the same Great Grandparents.
Raymond/Redmond Brien and wife Anastasia Eustace.

Now the previous generation to that is as far as we got.
Anastasia is the daughter of John Eustace. We are still trying to uncover her siblings. That's confusing. A little worried that a first cousin of her father John may also have been in the same locality. A little worried this first cousin is also named John. So each sibling of Anastasia is up for debate.

Raymond/Redmond Brien (and the surname has a number of version too)
He seems to be the son of Patrick Brien.

The closest we can get is death certs due to the records only going back to 1864 for the register. We have a number of certs.
They seem to bring up more questions than they answer.

I'll stick to not mentioning anyone living for the sake of privacy but would you be a descendant of John O'Brien (son of Raymond and Anastasia) and Anastasia Nolan?

Offline elizabeth5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Raymond o brien married Anastasia Eustace who was a sister of Will Eustace who owned the old forge in Ballymoney with cottage attached and also a sister of Owen Eustace who lived in Dalkey co Dublinwith his wife who was known as Aunt Essa neither men had any children and the two old ladies you speak of were sisters of granfathers mary and ellen and a brother billie o brien.These of course would be great Aunts and Ellen of ours and they lived in the bottom house in ballymoney and were noted for their beautiful tailoring and invisible mending mary died in 1914 granfather died suddenly on his way to mass aged 54 on the 10th may 1876 and his wife Anastasia died 1st march 1891.Hi  This was in lots of stuff I inhereted I have lots of old school photos of the children that went to Tara hill school will look them up also kiltennel school where these people would have went .

Offline Jytefas

• RootsChat Member
  • James and Winifred Kavanagh Abt 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 16:17 GMT (UK) »

Some early Eustace information in the following publication; "The neighborhood of Dublin : its topography, antiquities and historical associations"

http://www.archive.org/stream/neighborhoodofdu00joyc/neighborhoodofdu00joyc_djvu.txt

also A guide to the county of Wicklow By George Newenham Wright.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/07qc/

Kindest
John G.
Kavanagh - (Wexford, Dublin, Manchester, Liverpool and Illinois USA)
Kinsella - Ballyconlore / Kilanerin.
Doyle, Mahon, Nolan