Author Topic: Williams Family  (Read 7233 times)

Offline BBSCAN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Any tips for researching in Gorey
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 22:28 BST (UK) »
A new player heard from.  I am looking for any information about Thomas Staples b. 1748 in Wexford (probably Gorey) and who emigrated to Canada (d. 5 Aug 1825, Ida, Ontario) along with his entire family.  He married a Jane Bell (b 1767 Wexford probably Gorey)  Family records show she died at sea during the trip to Canada (d. 5 Jan 1823)There is also a connection to the Swayne family through their son Richard (b 1791)  I have much more information about the family after immigration but not much before.  I also know they were Protestant but not necessarily Anglican.

Offline andyb1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 26 August 10 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Willie Joe

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.  Just got home after a few days away and saw your post.  Any information you have on the Bells in Wexford would be gratefully received.

Regards

Andy

Offline Kerrypat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 11 November 12 13:25 GMT (UK) »
I've just come across your post from 2009 in which you mention your grandfather Raymond O'Brien who died on his way home from Mass aged 54, and I'm wondering is this the same Raymond O'Brien, my greatgrandfather, who is reported to have met a similar death.

Offline elizabeth5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 12 November 12 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi have 8 pages of OBrien Eustace family tree can send you done by Anastasia Spencer.I am related by the Redmond branch.I have all   pages posted on my Redmond family tree I need your email to send an invitation to view.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 12 November 12 15:29 GMT (UK) »
You can use the Personal Message system to share private details, like email addresses. To protect against spamming and other abuses Rootschat does not allow Email addresses in posts.

For details on the PM facility, see the help-Page: 

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Leinster Moderator
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Kerrypat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 12 November 12 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I think I have the same eight pages - my father was a first cousin of Anas. Which of the Redmond siblings are you connected with? I remember Betty, Tom and Janie, met them when my parents and I stayed in Seafield in the 60s.

Offline BBSCAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 25 March 13 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Still looking for information re: 18th C. Gorey.   I am looking for any information about Thomas Staples b. 1748 in Wexford? (probably Gorey) and who emigrated to Canada (d. 5 Aug 1825, Ida, Ontario) along with his entire family in 1820.  He, Thomas, married a Jane Bell (b 1767 Wexford probably Gorey)  first child born about 1775. Family records show Jane died at sea during the trip to Canada (d. 5 Jun 1823).  Her brother / cousin? James emigrates in early 1800 and is in the clergy in Canada.  All live initially in Cavan, Durham Co., Upper Canada.

There is also a connection to the Swayne; Swain family who are intermarried after 1798. Family history suggests involvement in the Rebellion. I have much more information about the family after immigration but not much before.  I also know they were Protestant probably Methodist.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 25 March 13 14:47 GMT (UK) »
The dates you are looking for are very early, and before almost all the surviving church records. Not that many details are available for the early 1800s, let alone the 1700s. I would think the chances of locating vital details on a person for these kinds of dates are slim, unless of course they came from gentry (i.e. well-off), and might be included in estate records etc.

Transcripts of some Co. Wexford church records are being made available on the pay-website at Rootsireland, but just three, or four parishes so far...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline lochgarman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 25 March 13 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi BBscan, had a look in my historic gorey books the only mentions are the following:

Historic Gorey 4 by Michael Fitzpatrick:
Gorey Plundered - Church of Ireland Families under attack this is a list of some of the families:

Edward Swain - Linen Weaver - Gorey - plunder to property
Also some swains Church of ireland buried in the old market square graveyard.
Fleming, Walsh, Masterson, Tobin of Co. Kilkenny.
Doyle, Donovan, Kennedy, Sunderland, Behan, Pender, Kinsella of Co.Wexford