Author Topic: Williams Family  (Read 7216 times)

Offline lochgarman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Any tips for researching in Gorey
« Reply #54 on: Monday 25 March 13 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi BBScan,

Also Bells appear as blacksmiths on the claims list of 1798. I dont see any staples appearing as a name on the list.
Looking through the list of C.O.I families that sailed from New Ross to Upper Eastern Canada around November 1817 shows Swain and Bell sailing to that area of canada (from historic gorey 5 by michael fitzpatrick).

thanks Gerard
Fleming, Walsh, Masterson, Tobin of Co. Kilkenny.
Doyle, Donovan, Kennedy, Sunderland, Behan, Pender, Kinsella of Co.Wexford

Offline BBSCAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 22:35 BST (UK) »
Assistance is greatly appreciated.  The Staples extended family (including related Swains and possibly Bell) sailed together in 1822 to Canada.  Family history suggests a chartered vessel using proceeds from sale of land in or near Gorey.  I can trace the vessel at this end and have found one or two possibility based upon arrival records in the 'Mercury' and subsequent passage records for ships travelling to the Great lakes.

Quebec, Quebec, Canada - spring 1823
Arrived by Sea on one of the following (no passengers lists exist) Ship Ceres, Cork (67 settlers)l Brig Alexander, Dublin (142) Brig George 4th, Dublin(111)Brig Endeavour, Dublin (112) Brig Jane (Waterford) (88) - this is fm ships arrival and subsequent depart

They had enough money to buy outright most of the property they subsequently farmed in County Durham, Upper Canada.  There had been two previous family departures in the previous decade to explore what was available.  A Bell cousin comes in the 1820s and attend theological college later becoming a Methodist minister.

Another researcher has found records for a marriage between a Jane Bell and a Thomas Stapleton ~1775 in the Ferns Marriage Diary? (research found in Dublin Castle 1974)

Offline BBSCAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 20:01 BST (UK) »
One other point - they were Methodist New Connexion in Canada which I understand to be a rare breed in Ireland in the late 1700-early 1800s.

Offline cferrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 07 August 14 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hoping to fill in some gaps on the O'Brien & Eustace family tree from around Ballymoney, Courtown & Kilmurray
Ferrie(& Ferry), McLaughlin (Donegal)
McKenna, Darragh/Darroch (Monaghan & Greenock)
O'Brien, Nolan, Eustace (all Wexford)
O'Sullivan (South Kerry)

Offline lochgarman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 07 August 14 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi cferrie,

There was Eustace in Ballymoney. They were blacksmiths i think. one of them married my ancestor Sunderland. Another user on this was researching Eustace who had connections with Eustace of co.kildare and ballymoney who were connected; you might find it here going back on the same thread. let me know how you get on. gerard ;D

Offline cferrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 07 August 14 22:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gerard,

William Eustace, the blacksmith in Ballymoney was a brother of Anastasia Eustace, my great great grandmother. I believe her nephew Richard O'Brien inherited the job. I've traced William and Anastasia's father, John Eustace, to Waterford City with some links to Faithlegg House, but that's where the trail runs cold. There seems to have been some ongoing link between Waterford and Wexford Eustaces

William Eustace's wife was Margaret Sunderland (c. 1848 - 6/11/1903). Her father was Michael Sunderland - presumably your ancestors?

Found quite a bit of information here http://www.roneustice.com/Family%20History/IrishFamiliessub/Wexford%20Families.html
O'Sullivan (South Kerry)

Offline lochgarman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 10 August 14 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi cferrie; thats a brilliant link. thanks for telling me about it. Yes the Sunderlands are my ancestors. You should private message ms smokestoomuch on this thread as she was researching the eustaces as well and had bits on eustaces who lived in ballymore-eustace in county kildare so you could be related to her as well.
Two bits of info i can  help with; maybe you can send it on to the person who did the website. William Eustace married Margaret Sunderland in 1878. i should have the marriage cert if you need a copy. you will have to pm your email address to me. The Sunderlands are from the townland of Ballyscartin; its halfway between Gorey and Ballymoney; so the Ballycurtan is wrong.
Regarding the 1901 census;  William is recorded on it but his wife Margaret is not. The reason is that Margaret was recorded as patient in St. Johns County Home in Enniscorthy. So it looks like she may have suffered a mental illness or something. If you research the census of 1901 for the institution you can find her on it as "wife of blacksmith" and using process of deduction you can figure out it is her. there is also a mention of the eustaces in the book on forges of wexford. if you need more detail on the book let me know. kind regards gerard

Offline cferrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 11 August 14 17:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gerard, I found Margaret's entry in Enniscorthy, although it suggests a birth year of 1844 rather than 1848 as suggested by the Eustace website. I think it may actually have been the "County Lunatic Asylum" (in Killagoley townland) that she was resident in rather than the County Home (which at that time would have still been known as the Workhouse). Presumably that is where she died two years later - a tragic end.

I must have a look for that Forges of Wexford book - sounds interesting.

Thanks again,

Ciaran
O'Sullivan (South Kerry)

Offline lochgarman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 23 August 14 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciaran, i have been tidying up my books and came across the book. Its called: Tales of the Anvil - the forges and blacksmiths of Wexford by Eamon Doyle. Publisher is nonsuch publishing.
The entry is rather small but still a mention:

Gorey - Griffiths Valuation - 1853 - John Eustace - Ballymoney Upper

You might get it on the publisher website or amazon.

Kind regards Gerard