Author Topic: Williams Family  (Read 7234 times)

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Any tips for researching in Gorey
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 December 09 03:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ms Smokes,

I've been following this thread and hope you find the information you are looking for.

Hi Elizabeth5,

Welcome to RootsChat.

Dara.

Offline tvandermyde

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 January 10 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I am researching a Abraham Shehan (death 1855 or 56)  who married a Margaret Sunderland.  The Shehan's are from Ballyscarton, Gorey, Co Wexford, Ireland.  Not sure if this Margeret or Margaret could be before your Sunderland.  Abraham and Margeret had children: Lawrence (b 1828) MaryAnn, Bessie, John, Bridget, and Patrick (1840-1910)buried at Courttown(?)
Thought perhaps our Margaret Sunderland could be Aunt of yours?  Any help would be great.  We are traveling to Ireland in April in hopes of finding some more info out.

Offline Ms. Smokestoomuch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 January 10 13:05 GMT (UK) »
My knowledge of the Sunderlands is limited to Margaret marring William Eustace the Blacksmith 1878.
On that marriage cert Margaret is a spinster age 30 who's father is Michael Sunderland deceased, farmer. Also as witness she has a Maria Sunderland.

Now earlier on this tread another Sunderland relation, called lochgorman, tells me that Margaret also had a brother called Thomas. Lochgorman might be able to figure out the connection between these Sunderlands.

Rafter, Smith, Hession, O'Gara, Leech, Durkin, McManus, Eustace, O'Brien, Hyland, White, Hoey, Maher, Martin, McConaghy, Flynn, Davy.
Ballybough, Ballina, Ballyinaglea, Sligo , Casleconner, Killucan, Royal Canal. Ballymoney(wex).

Offline anniebelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 January 10 13:41 GMT (UK) »
I have been reading with interest these postings on Gorey.  I have ancestors from this area.  To date I haven't concentrated on them but will be doing so shortly.  The names are Gordon, Goldsmith, Brien/Bryan, and Wall.  The locations in Gorey are Kilmakiloge, Ballykale, Coolantaggart, Kilcavan.  I don't know if these names or locations connect with anyone but would be interested to hear if there was a connection.  Anniebelle
McDowell, Co Cavan, Co Monaghan-NSW
Davidson, Co Down-NSW
Hayes, Co Tipperary-Vic, NSW
Hayes, Co Wexford-NSW
Kennedy, Co Tipperary-Vic, NSW
McAlary, McIlhinney, Keilt, McNichol, Shannon Co Derry-Vic, NSW
Rochester, Sussex-NSW
Matthews, Kent-NSW
Lyons/Hynes Co Kildare-NSW
Grimes, Lancashire-NSW
Hall, Essex/London-NSW
Seath, Kent-NSW
Long, Woolwich-NSW
Meyer, Heist, Germany-Vic
Goldsmith, Gordon, Wall, Co Wexford-Vic,NSW
Fraser, Hassard, Fermanagh, St Helens, Lancashire-Vic

Offline tvandermyde

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 January 10 16:49 GMT (UK) »
The date 1878 for marriage between Margaret and William could work.  Her father Michael would be around the same age as the Margaret who married Abraham Shehan...Will keep looking

Offline andyb1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 January 10 18:14 GMT (UK) »
I have family from Gorey from about 1850 - 1915.  The names I'm interested in are Bell, Beddy, Woods, Sinnott and Swords.  I have a number of certificates from GRO Roscommon. any information would be appreciated.

However what I'm really after is some slightly broader information about the area.  There is an entry in Wikipedia that provides some information.  Are there any books or photos of Gorey either now or in the past.  I'm particularly interested in Gorey Hill, Esmond Street and William Street.

Andy

Offline elizabeth5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 January 10 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Anniebelle I have a photo of the Registry of pews  in the church in gorey in 1861 and no 73 has on it WM GOLDSMITH Ballycale maybe your relation.

Offline guaire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 January 10 22:58 GMT (UK) »
 streets and families  available in the 1911 census returns. Google Gorey Co. Wexford and you should get photoes etc.

Offline lochgarman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 February 10 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, its been a while since i logged in here.  :)
Anyway I will try and help with a few of the threads.

To Tvandermyde: Sunderlands:
I am a descendant of the Sunderlands of Ballyscarton. Sunderlands have been in Ballyscarton since 1750's at least. If you could give me some any additional info I will see if there is any links? ITs not a connection i have heard of but I will look it up in some of my books & family tree to see if there is any mention of Shehans of Ballyscarton...it might be a new connection for me!!

Anniebelle:
Kilmakiloge is the old parish name for gorey. I will find out about the other names for you from my book.

andyb1963:
There is a good few books on Gorey. The best are the "Historic Gorey" series
by Michael Fitzpatrick our local historian. Each book has a different theme but each one covers a lot of info & photos. In historic gorey 2 michael lists the families of gorey in 1901 and 1911 so it would definitely cover esmonde street etc. It depends on the family names you are looking for?
All the books are out of print now; and you won't buy them in the shops.Best place is gorey or wexford library to see a hard copy. I have them all so will look up some info for you if wish.

Kind regards Loch Garman (Gerard)
Fleming, Walsh, Masterson, Tobin of Co. Kilkenny.
Doyle, Donovan, Kennedy, Sunderland, Behan, Pender, Kinsella of Co.Wexford