Author Topic: Help please Tooze family  (Read 1720 times)

Offline wee mammy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please Tooze family
« on: Monday 19 September 16 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
                 My cousin just lost her aunt recently who was in her late ninety's.  My cousin found a lot of things while clearing out her belongings and was wondering what to do with them.  There was a family bible dating back to 1855 with names and dates,also birth and death certificate along with burial plot information and some photos. The family are buried in Saint James Cemetery Toronto.  My cousin said there was no one to pass them along to and was wondering if there were was a place she could donate them in Toronto or British Columbia, she was thinking that maybe the latter Day Saints church would take them since they were from Kentucky originally
                                                                                                                                               The family name was Tooze ( spelt Twooze in USA) and the family were from Kentucky with relatives in Oregon mostly they lived in Toronto.  The couple of names she gave me were a Mary Ann Tooze with a date 1889, not sure if that was a birth or death date. Mary Ann's father was Edward Tooze born 8th Sept 1863, died 25th Sept 1940 and was a professional baseball player when he was young,possibly in his twenty's.                                                                                                        I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this query, my apologize if it the wrong place.  If anyone has any idea where she could donate the bible, certificate  etc. it would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you in advance.  Wee Mammy                                                                               

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please Tooze family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 02:26 BST (UK) »
The only Tooze I have is Elizabeth Tooze born abt 1852 Holcombe Rogus, Devon, England. She married Timothy Hanover 12 Oct 1869 same place as she was born.

I do not know who wants old bibles but what I would do is enter all the names/places/dates on the Internet taking care not to put any living people on the listing. I found a baby listed on the Internet whom I did not know before. From what was on the posting I researched  and she was under 6 months old in 1926 and travelling on the Empress of Canada from Victoria, Hong Kong to Victoria, British Columbia, Canada and  died at sea. Just because someone took the time to put her on the Internet  I have her baptism date because someone else put a listing of  Baptisms, of St. John's Cathedral, Hong Kong on the Internet. It does not have to be on a formal site. Let people Google the names name and find them . 

At the beginning of Civil Registration in England in 1837 Tooze is a Devon name with Cornwall coming in second. Then of course later the name starts to get into other counties with most of the time still having a good showing in Devon and Cornwall.

Offline lhorosko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 03:22 BST (UK) »
On ancestry.ca I've found records that look like they could be the Edward Tooze in your post.  Also there are family trees with similar information, namely:

Name:     Edwin Francis Tooze
Birth:     7 Dec 1863 - U.S.A
Death:     25 Sept 1940 (25 Sep 1940) - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Marriage:     1 Jan 1916  - Wentworth, Ontario, Canada
Spouse:     Elizabeth Hoodless

The owners of these family trees might be interested in the material.

Regards, Linda

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 04:08 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Edwin's death notice in the Globe and Mail paper says he is Edwin Francis Tooze... he died at his home, 219 Dovercourt Road, on Sept 25 1940.  Husband of Amy Hoodless.  Father of Margaret Tooze. 

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 04:12 BST (UK) »
Amy J Tooze - obit in the Globe and Mail.  She died May 2 1956.  Amy J Hoodless, wife of the late Edwin Tooze and mother of Margaret.  Sister of Ed Hoodless, Hamilton.  Her address had been 715 Dovercourt.

Findagrave has photos of the tombstone.  Amy is 23 years younger than Edwin.  (she was born 1886 and he was born 1863)

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=tooze&GSiman=1&GScid=1789061&GRid=104244567&

RK

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 04:20 BST (UK) »
I just popped the surname TOOZE into the search box at the top.  Seems to be several people on here researching that surname.  Might be worth while taking a look at them.

Added  link -  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=search2
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 04:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Looks like Amy's given name was actually Rehaume Josephine. 

Marriage to Edwin Tooze on Jan 1 1916

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-8BLZ-W4X?i=1022&wc=3NWH-K6X%3A1584308903%2C1584346801%2C1584351101%3Fcc%3D1784216&cc=1784216

Edwin is a widower.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 05:06 BST (UK) »
Is a Mary Ann Tooze who died in Toronto in 1889.  Born in Ireland in 1829.  Wonder if this is Edwin's mother... according to marriage cert, his mother is Mary Ann. 

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9B9-XB71?i=1088&wc=3LKH-7M9%3A1584243504%2C1584243807%2C1584281801%3Fcc%3D1307826&cc=1307826

Does anything in your material say who Margaret Tooze (daughter of Edwin) married?  I am not seeing anything in the Toronto papers.    If you could find some direct descendants, they might be interested in the family bible??

RK

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 09:36 BST (UK) »
Canada Voters List shows Mrs Edwin Tooze and Miss Margaret Tooze (spinster - secretary) at 219 Dovecourt Road in 1945.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada