Author Topic: Donovan, Field family Cork  (Read 970 times)

Offline zx123

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donovan, Field family Cork
« on: Tuesday 20 September 16 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
the release of the civil records for Ireland has renewed my interest in this side of my family history, but I am still stuck behind a brick wall and can't get any further back. My great grandmother Mary Donovan was born in 1870 in Cork to Maurice Donovan and Hanorah Kelly. She moved to Wales where she Married my great grandfather Patrick Field in about 1901. Hanorah Kelly and Maurice Donovan got married  in 1865. My great grandfather Patrick Field was born in 1863 in Cork to Eugene Field and Ellen Mcswiney. I have found baptisms for his siblings John, William and Johannah and a possible marriage for Eugene and Ellen in 1855. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could further my research?

Thank you.
Medlicott, Bevan,(Monmouthshire,Wales)
Sweet(Somerset,England)
Donovan, Field(Cork, Ireland)

Offline ftcorkmdb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Donovan, Field family Cork
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 20:36 BST (UK) »
Some priests would have written Eugene as the more Irish Owen, and Field(ing) as Fehilly.  And make sure you check the several variants of McSwiney, including those without the Mc.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
the release of the civil records for Ireland has renewed my interest in this side of my family history, but I am still stuck behind a brick wall and can't get any further back. My great grandmother Mary Donovan was born in 1870 in Cork to Maurice Donovan and Hanorah Kelly. She moved to Wales where she Married my great grandfather Patrick Field in about 1901. Hanorah Kelly and Maurice Donovan got married  in 1865. My great grandfather Patrick Field was born in 1863 in Cork to Eugene Field and Ellen Mcswiney. I have found baptisms for his siblings John, William and Johannah and a possible marriage for Eugene and Ellen in 1855. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could further my research?

Thank you.
Hi you dont mention name of area in Cork where your ancestors lived was it City or County? You should have this from the records you found

Offline zx123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have noticed that Eugene is written as Owen on some records and Mcswiney sometimes seems to be written as Swiney or Sweeney, it makes it very difficult to know if you've got he right person. I think both families lived in the city of Cork as their children were baptised in the Churches of St Mary and Ann and St Finbarres. Mary Donovan's parents Maurice and Hanorah Donovan were married in St Finbarres Church in 1865 and Eugene/Owen Field and Ellen Mcswiney were married in 1855. That's as far as I can go back with any degree of certainty.
Medlicott, Bevan,(Monmouthshire,Wales)
Sweet(Somerset,England)
Donovan, Field(Cork, Ireland)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 September 16 11:13 BST (UK) »
Baptisms to Maurice Donovan & Hanora Kelly:
Mary 16th October 1871, Timothy 13th October 1876 & Ellen 5th Sept 1879. St Finbarrs which is South Parish on www.irishgenealogy.ie. Note address for Ellen was given as 40 Evergreen St Cork.
Have you looked at Censuses for Ireland 1901 & 1911 at www.nationalarchives.ie
You can also check on Irish Genealogy for Civil Records which may include deaths for Maurice & Hanora . Cannot see any viable records for Field due to variations of name.