Author Topic: OLD GREYHOUND ADWY BERSHAM  (Read 3183 times)

Offline FRANK DAVIES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
OLD GREYHOUND ADWY BERSHAM
« on: Saturday 23 July 05 22:01 BST (UK) »
Can anybody help me what is or was
OLD GREYHOUND .ADWY .BERSHAM.
I have an ancestor that died here.
Is it an area /pub etc.
Thanks Frank

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: OLD GREYHOUND ADWY BERSHAM
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 July 05 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank,

I just googled for "adwy bersham"

and these were the first three hits:

GENUKI : Berse / Bersham
"Bersham is a large township which stretches westward from the borough of Wrexham, ... Nant yr Adwy, Calvinistic Methodists, 200. Southsea or Glan'rafon ...
www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Berse/ - 10K

GENUKI:Paper-Mills and Paper-Makers in Wales 1700-1900
    524, William Harris and William Dick McMurdo, Bersham mill (Chester Collection), 1823; ... Richard Hughes was born at Adwy'r Clawdd, Denbighshire, in 1794. ...
    www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/Paper.html - 110k

RootsWeb: FLAVEL-L [FLAVEL(L)] updated Flavs
... (Notes : of Thruxton,Andover.Only son.) --- D.1.9.9 : Bertha Florence Flavell, born in Adwy,Bersham,Wrexham the 28 July 1893, died in Bury Infimary ...
archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/FLAVEL/2000-05/0958984818 - 23k

So it looks like the Old Greyhound could be a pub in the district of Adwy, in Bersham ...

But, knowing RootsChatters, someone will probably come up with an exact answer soon  ;D

regards,
Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Llosgi Calch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census Info Crown Copyright of National Archives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 July 05 09:42 BST (UK) »
Adwy (or Adwy Clawdd as it was also known) was indeed an area of the parish of Bersham.
The area has now been engulfed & become the lower part of the village of Coedpoeth. Adwy is the eastern side of the village which straddles 'Offa's Dyke', It is here the 'Dyke' had a gap for people to pass through, which is consistent with the name  Adwy being welsh for gap, so is obvious from where the name derives.

As for the 'Old Greyhound' I am unsure, but will strive to find out.

I have read from a learned welsh novelist that a true welshman is born west of Offa's Dyke...  By the grace of god I thus qualify, being born 30metres west of the 'Dyke' at...... Adwy, Coedpoeth!
Lewis - Minera, Denbighshire & Llanerfyl, Montgomeryshire.<br />Davies - Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, Denbighshire.<br />Williams - Llanynys, Denbighshire.<br />Roberts - Cerrigydrudion, Denbighshire.<br />Clark(e) & Price - Wrecsam, Denbighshire.

Offline Llosgi Calch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 August 05 07:22 BST (UK) »
Following a little investigation I have been told a pub did exist on Heol Maelor, Adwy, a little down the hill, opposite to where Adwy Chapel stood. Could this have been 'The Old Greyhound'??? It is now a small stone terrace of houses.

This is not to be confused with the pub 'The Three Mile' which is now a house & stood directly opposite to Adwy Chapel.
Lewis - Minera, Denbighshire & Llanerfyl, Montgomeryshire.<br />Davies - Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, Denbighshire.<br />Williams - Llanynys, Denbighshire.<br />Roberts - Cerrigydrudion, Denbighshire.<br />Clark(e) & Price - Wrecsam, Denbighshire.

Offline Llosgi Calch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 August 05 21:35 BST (UK) »
I have recently read a reading to 'Y Felin' at Coedpoeth of 4th December 1925.
Amongst this reading is a section on the oldest houses in this particular area amongst this particular list is The Old Greyhound.

With no mention of the 'Three Mile Pub' in this list, I am left with the opinion that The Old Geyhound could well be an earlier name of 'The Three Mile', which still stands as a private house.