Author Topic: Ena Lee  (Read 3207 times)

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
Ena Lee
« on: Friday 23 September 16 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

Born March 1899 Grimsby. Parents = William Lee and Margaret Lee nee/formerly, GLEGG.

William was a fisherman.

The family were in Hull by 1901 with a 6/12 sister, Violet, father probably away at sea. Family are all together in 1911.

Looking for anything on William [? b. Sately] & Margaret [b. Scotland]

Many thanks
Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ena Lee
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 September 16 02:43 BST (UK) »
He is Francis William Lee in 1911, b 1861 Satley. As you say, he is not with the family in 1901.

Margaret is b 1870 "Scotland" in 1901 and 1911.

You will need to use the website Scotland's People to find Margaret's details, however the site is undergoing work, (I have forgotten the dates) so may not be usable for a while. Familysearch may be useful in the mean time.

Do you have Francis/William or Margaret in any other census?
Do you have their marriage?
Did you get MargRet's surname from Ena's birth certificate? If so did it name her father as William Lee rather than Francis Lee?

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 September 16 04:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ruskie..

I don't have them for definite in any other census.

Yes I got Margaret's surname from Ena's birth cert. You may have noticed I said 'nee/formerly', can't be sure if 1st/2nd marriage, a couple of other researchers have the marriage in Scotland, can't see it anywhere. Ena's father is listed as William Lee on the birth cert. Francis William would be out of place, he has a g'son with those first names.

I found one birth in Aberdeen for Margaret under GLEGG, but the DoB doesn't match 1939, though there could be an error. I have also found Ena in 1939, her DoB matches.

I can't see a seaman's ticket for William either  ???

Geoff

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 September 16 06:57 BST (UK) »
My first thought when I saw Margaret's former name as Glegg, was perhaps it is Clegg, so if Ena's birth certificate is the one and only time you see Margaret's surname written, keep in mind possible variations in spelling.

Scotland's People is down at the moment so we'll have to wait till that is back up and running before we look further for Margaret.

Do you know where Satley is? Google tells me Durham. I've not heard of this place before.

The thing to do would be to try to find the marriage certificate of Francis/William and Margaret. All the better if the marriage occurred in Scotland as we will get all four parent's names. When we know the name of Francis/William's father (at least), then we can try looking for him hopefully with his family in earlier censuses. I did have a quick look, but being unsure of his birth place and whether he is Francis or William, it is difficult to know which might be yours.

Re him being Francis or William - I'm not sure what you meant when you said that "Francis William would be out of place - he has a grandson with those first names"?

He is clearly calling himself Francis William Lee in the 1911 census. He may be one of thee people who used either or both names. I am keen to find him on earlier censuses to confirm place of birth and his name.  :)

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 September 16 07:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Ruskie..

Yep, I've experienced those scenarios, hence putting it on here for, hopefully some answers.

Fairly common first and surname doesn't help, especially if using either at any given time.

I've put a thread on the Durham Board re. Francis William/William linking it to this thread in the hope that someone may notice an odd snippet or so.

Geoff

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 September 16 08:08 BST (UK) »
Just having a look at Freebmd, there aren't many Francis William Lees born around the right time frame. There is one in Hull in 1858, and another in Boston in 1862. None in Durham.

It does not necessarily follow that either of the above are your ancestor. I haven't looked for a William yet.....

Added: as expected, there are quite a lot of just plain William Lees in Durham..... :-\

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 September 16 11:18 BST (UK) »
The Francis of Boston was the son of Mary Ann Lee, spinster, of Chapel Hill Swineshead. I think she was a servant in Boston in 1861.

I can't find any further information but a Francis William Lee of the same age died in Lincoln in 1914. A newspaper report states that he was a lodger and died of a heart attack.

David

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 September 16 12:51 BST (UK) »
Pretty sure that Margaret was the one born in Aberdeen.

A*try
1891 census Scotland
Alexr H Glegg born 1889 Aberdeen
I think Margaret is transcribed as Mary.
On A*try
Alexandra Glegg
 in the West Yorkshire, England, Reformatory School Records, 1856-1914

Says stepfather William LEE-mother Margaret.

Maureen

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 September 16 14:28 BST (UK) »
I can't find any further information but a Francis William Lee of the same age died in Lincoln in 1914. A newspaper report states that he was a lodger and died of a heart attack.

His abode was Waterside North, Lincoln. There were lodging houses on that road.

No other person was buried in his burial plot (P539, St Swithins cemetery)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.