Author Topic: Ena Lee  (Read 3214 times)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ena Lee
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 September 16 14:58 BST (UK) »
Some other records:-

Alec Glegg, parent William Lee of 56 Bridge Street, was admitted to Holme Hill Junior Boys, Grimsby, in 1898 - birth 5 Nov 1888. Previous school St Andrews.

Alick Glegg, parent William Glegg of 60 Nelson Street, same birth date, admitted to the Junior School in 1899.

David

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 September 16 19:15 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, folks... Some nice leads there.

The Glegg findings are of real interest, especially the Grimsby addresses and the 1891 Scottish census. Ena b. 1899 was living at the back of 112 Strand Street, there is a Bridge Street there and very close is Nelson Street.

I'm not sure of the 1914 death, I know they were in Hull after 1911 and Margaret is still there in 1939.

Thanks again
Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 September 16 10:12 BST (UK) »
Following up on MaureeninNY's posting of the 1891 census:-

Lauchlan Glegg married Jane Massie on 22 May 1868 in Dundee

Margaret Glegg b 1870
Place: SAINT NICHOLAS, ABERDEEN
Father: Lauchlan Glegg
Mother: Jane Massie

1881 Census - Gallowgate, 111, St Nicholas, Aberdeen

Lauchlen Glegg b 1847 Aberdeenshire, Ship Builder
Jane Glegg Wife b 1847 Aberdeenshire
Helen Haslen Step Daughter b 1863 Dundee, Aberdeenshire, Millworker   
Margaret Glegg Daughter b 1871 Aberdeenshire
Jane Glegg Daughter b 1873 Aberdeenshire
John Glegg Son b 1875 Dundee, Forfarshire (Angus)
Catherine Glegg   Daughter b 1878 Aberdeenshire

Helen Mary Jane   Haslam Or Massey b 1863
Place: DUNDEE, ANGUS
Father: Lawrence Haslam
Mother: Jane Massey

David

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 September 16 12:24 BST (UK) »
Just throwing this in, even if just to eliminate.

I see from the reformatory records that Francis / William Lee was said to be addicted to drink & there is an article in the Norwich Mercury 30 May 1883 about a Francis William Lee, fisherman, aged 25, being drunk & quarrelling with another man.  .

There is another article, on 11 December 1880, reporting that a George William Lee had been charged with assaulting his daughter-in-law, Elizabeth Lee, wife of Francis William Lee.

Possible marriage 25 Dec 1874, St Peter’s Lowestoft, Suffolk:
Francis William Lee, 20, Fisherman, Lowestoft.  Father: William Lee, Fisherman
Elilzabeth Ann Hollis Harper, 18, Lowestoft.   Father: Robert Harper, Labourer
Wit: William Harper & Mary Ana Adams

In 1881 they are in Lowestoft as William 26 & Elizabeth 24, although they have a 2-year old son named Francis William Lee. 

On the 1861 census George William & Francis William are both recorded as William, with William Jr aged 6 and born Henstead, Suffolk.  William Jr has a sister, Elenor – could Ena be named after her perhaps?

Looking at Google maps there is a place near Henstead called Sotterley, could this be the Satley from the 1911 census? 

Added:  In 1871 the family appears to be at Beccles Road, Barnby, and [Francis] William's  birth place is given as Sotterley.  RG10/1778/10/11
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 September 16 12:49 BST (UK) »
Further to my last post, just to muddy the water there is this 1881 census entry, as well as the one which shows him at home with Elizabeth & children:

Henry Stevenson, Vessel Moored At Sea, Lowestoft
William Lea, 25, Married, b Sotley, Suffolk, AB Seaman RG11/1906/22/?

The Henry Stevenson is described as a Ketch, used for trawl fishing.

Could be that he's been recorded twice  :-\
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 September 16 13:39 BST (UK) »
Possible death:

Francis W Lee, Dec qtr 1937, Hull, aged 73 (1864). 

The age would be well out compared to the records in Suffolk, but as the 1911 has him born c1861 maybe he just kept getting younger ;)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 September 16 14:13 BST (UK) »
Just popping in to say that I have posted on the Durham thread, where you say that his birthplace in 1911 is given as Satley, Durham.

In fact it isn't! It just says Satley, or even possibly Sotley and no county is stated  :)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756358.msg6060809#msg6060809

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 September 16 14:48 BST (UK) »
I really like Jomot's theory. :)

The wife (Elizabeth) is in Lowestoft in 1891-transcribed on A*try as Elizabeth GREEN. With her is a daughter Emma Jane born Scarborough, Yorks. So,that does put William LEE in Yorks at some point at least.

Elizabeth marries John Henry CAPPS in 1895 and says she's a widow. Was she? ???

Just wish we could spot William in 1891 and 1901.

Maureen

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 September 16 14:57 BST (UK) »
Just popping in to say that I have posted on the Durham thread, where you say that his birthplace in 1911 is given as Satley, Durham.

In fact it isn't! It just says Satley, or even possibly Sotley and no county is stated  :)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756358.msg6060809#msg6060809

Sorry JenB, that may be my fault as I asked in Reply #3 where Satley was because I'd never heard of it. Google suggested Durham. I did say I would like to see his place of birth in other censuses to confirm pob.