Author Topic: Who lives in a house like this?  (Read 10305 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who lives in a house like this?
« Reply #36 on: Monday 26 September 16 15:03 BST (UK) »
Check out Harold North WADE in 1911.

Maureen

Maureen...what a star...thank you so much for all your detective work  8)

Thanks also to everyone who joined in the search...I must take a trip out there now and knock on the door...It would take me all of 15 minutes  ;D

Delighted  :-*

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 26 September 16 15:24 BST (UK) »
Make sure they are interested in the history of the house before you hand over the postcard Carol. If they're not interested it might end up in the bin, in which case you'd be better off keeping it.  ;D

Make sure they are the owners too (and not renting).  :)

Are you going to write up a little history of the characters from the postcard and the house owners to put it in context?

Good luck. I hope they appreciate it.

Let us know how you get on.  :)

Added: Looking at streetview, the house appears to have two bays whereas in the postcard, although hidden behind trees, I can't make out a second bay.

I am also wondering if that house has been divided up into several flats. It is huge.  :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 26 September 16 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie...Have saved the 1911 census return and will take that along with me. Yes I will make sure that it is wanted and appreciated before I hand it over.
If it was me..I would have it printed onto a canvas and hang it on the wall  ;D
Thanks for your help and your interest.
I will let you know how I get on  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 26 September 16 16:01 BST (UK) »
Added: Looking at streetview, the house appears to have two bays whereas in the postcard, although hidden behind trees, I can't make out a second bay.

The line of the other bay can just be seen through the trees at the top of the picture, just left of centre  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 26 September 16 16:21 BST (UK) »
Yes if you go slightly overhead you can get a better view of number 40, Humber Road. it is quite secluded from the road.

Carol

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 26 September 16 22:55 BST (UK) »

The line of the other bay can just be seen through the trees at the top of the picture, just left of centre  :)
e

Ah yes, I see it now.  :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 15:03 BST (UK) »
I know who lives in a house like this now... a delighted retired GP and his wife  ;D
What a house...what a joy to deliver this lovely image to such an appreciative man...shame his wife was away in York attending a lecture as he said, "She would have been thrilled to sit down and chat over a cup of tea"  ;D
There are a lot of original features...lovely tall fireplace and original cornices. The spacious hall with it's curved mahogany balustrade was a delight.
I suggested a place for him to take it to have it printed onto a canvas as it would look amazing in the hall and he was quite taken with the idea.
I took a word doc with a brief history of the house and the sender, and how we discovered the property and it's current location. I added my name and address and he said he would keep the doc with the postcard to show his Son and Daughter who live out of town.

I made that Doctor's day  8)...he took my telephone number and said he would get his wife to ring me when she returned home.

You should all take a little bit of credit in this great outcome...especially Prawncocktail..Job done  :-*

Carol

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 15:06 BST (UK) »
What a marvellous result.
Well done again to PC for the initial identification.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 15:23 BST (UK) »
What a great result from 1st post right through identifying names/places & current owners.

After rooting around
Current owner found
The rootschat way
Made the Dr's day

Just goes to show what can make people smile.

Well done Carol (& RC'rs helpers)

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"