Author Topic: Child Under Arm  (Read 954 times)

Offline Gnlgymd100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Child Under Arm
« on: Wednesday 28 September 16 14:34 BST (UK) »
I was searching for birth information for my 7x Great Grandfather when I noticed on one of the possible entries the prase "child under arm"  ??? - is this another way of saying illegitimate?  The person I'm searching for is an Alexander Cowlie who was born around 1660 in Dun, Angus.

The said Mr Cowlie has sent me on a merry chase trying to find his birth.  I think he was born in Dun or the surrounding area as he married Catren Muckart in 1676 at Dun and their 7 children that I've managed to track down so far were all born there, so this is indicative to me of a settled man, who didn't move very far from home. 

However, his date of birth could be up to 20 years before that of my estimate.  I really really hate researching that far back - and especially in Scotland, but here's hoping that someone on this wonderful site can help me track down my 7x great grandad  ;)

Regards and best wishes to everyone

Gnlgymd
 ::)
Gordon, Carter, Lunie, Young, Pirie, Duncan,  Belgrie, Croll, Watt, Ferguson, Peat, Brand, Smith, Wallace, Middleton, Miller, Bell, Mollison, Gauld/Gault/Gall, Clerk/Clark, Anderson,  Grassick, Robertson, Niper, Kerr, Kinnear, Edwards, Low, Stewart, M(a)cDonald, Lamb, Petrie, Cowlie, Muckart, Tweedale, Davidson(e), M(a)cLeod, Stephen, Grassie, Mitchell, Whyte, M(a)cLean, Carnegie, Will, Robert, Fairweather, Hill, Reid, Steel, Jackson, Page, Murfitt, Bass,

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Child Under Arm
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 17:54 BST (UK) »
It's more likely to indicate that the child was an infant. What is the entire sentence/context?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 18:03 BST (UK) »
The person I'm searching for is an Alexander Cowlie who was born around 1660 in Dun, Angus.
The said Mr Cowlie has sent me on a merry chase trying to find his birth.  I think he was born in Dun or the surrounding area as he married Catren Muckart in 1676 at Dun
If he married in 1676 it's pretty unlikely that he was born as late as 1660. 1645-1655 is a much more likely time frame. Also don't forget that when you get back as far as the 17th century, far more people are missing from the records than are recorded.

I really really hate researching that far back
Why do so then?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 September 16 14:51 BST (UK) »
I really really hate researching that far back
Why do so then?

Because we are addicted!  Sometimes addiction is painful  :-\
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk