Author Topic: Need Help Translating Possibly Hebrew/Yiddish Handwriting  (Read 1917 times)

Offline BBB1948

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need Help Translating Possibly Hebrew/Yiddish Handwriting
« on: Thursday 29 September 16 16:57 BST (UK) »
A friend recommended posting the handwriting on the reverse of a photo I found, in case someone can help.  I believe the family members to be from Eastern Europe.  Alas, not the UK, but I may get lucky!  These people are most likely from White Russia or Austria-Hungary.  Thank you.   :)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Translating Possibly Hebrew/Yiddish Handwriting
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 September 16 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RootsChat.

I can't make out all of the text, but it reads something like:

As a lasting memento of our beloved Aunt Tobeyl...
Wish you a ... and ... ...-festival ...

I can probably get a full translation, if you think it will help.

Justin

Offline BBB1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 September 16 13:55 BST (UK) »
Justin, I'm so excited that you've responded!  What is the language?  And yes, I'd be extremely grateful if you could help me find a full translation.  ;D

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 September 16 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hello,

The text is in Yiddish.

I took steps this morning to obtain a full translation. It will probably take a couple of days though. I'll report back as soon as I have it.

Justin

Offline BBB1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 October 16 01:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Justin.  Thank you, Justin.  Thank you Justin....

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 October 16 20:02 BST (UK) »
I spent some more time looking at this and made a large leap forward. I couldn't understand the apparent mention of something to do with plumen. But now I have worked out everything but the last two words.

The romanised text reads:

Tsum evigen ondeynkong onzer
liber tonte Tobeyl...
vinshen aykh ayer plimenikes
und plimenitses ... Zaretski

which translates as

'As a lasting memento our
beloved Aunt Tobeyl...
Your nephews
and nieces wish you ... ...'

Can you perhaps show me the picture on the other side?

The last appears to be Zoretski. Is that a surname you recognise?

We'll get there in the end.

Justin

Offline BBB1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 October 16 03:01 BST (UK) »
Justin, I'm not certain, of course, but I believe that the people may be related to my mother's mother's family.  Her mother was born Frieda Tabolsky in 1901 in or around the town Skidel in Grodno in Russia (Belo Russia, perhaps).  Frieda's father was Samuel Tabolsky b. 1882 in Russia and her mother was born Hannah Rose Lampert b. May 1880 in Russia.  I need to examine the photographs more closely for any family resemblances.  IF the photos were of relatives of my mother's father, Morris Breitkopf, they would have been from Austria-Hungary; his father was David Breitkopf and his mother, Anna Krueger.  I do not know the surname you mentioned.

I'm wondering about the date on the photo, as well.  is that September 15, 1925?

I am attaching two photos.  The one with 9 people is the one on the reverse of the inscription.  The one with 4 people includes at least a couple who I believe to be in the larger group photo (but taken at an earlier time).  Actually, I'll send the photo with 4 people in a separate post due to file size. 

Thank you, Justin, for your interest and help with this!

Offline BBB1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 October 16 03:05 BST (UK) »
Justin, here's the other, earlier photo with 4 people.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 October 16 13:33 BST (UK) »
Tabolsky and Lampert in Skidel! Now that's very interesting. The word after tonte may well be Tobolski. The second letter is alef, which can have the sound of 'a' or 'o'. The letter after the 'l' (lamed) can only really be an 's' (samekh). And the squiggle at the end may well be 'ki'.

The word before Zaretski/Zoretski could be Leympert. I'd say it starts with an 'l', definitely contains 'pe' and most likely ends in 't'.

There appears to have been a couple of variant spellings of Lampert, such as Lyampert and Liampert.

I assume that the photo is dated 15th Sep 1925 and the word to the left of the date is most likely Skidel. It starts with an 's' has a 'd' in the middle, and probably ends in 'l' which is often curled backwards (i.e. to the right) at the end of word. 

The young people in the photo were of the Frieda's generation rather than her own nephews and nieces.

What happened to Frieda and her parents? Did they all emigrate? Maybe the card was addressed to Hannah Rose.

As a matter of interest, I have just been searching in the Shoah database at yadvashem.org and stumbled across a Szloma Zarecki (the Polish spelling of Shloma Zaretski), born in Skidel in 1905 to Leib and Bajla nee Lampert. He was murdered in Auschwitz.

Do you, in fact, have a photo of Szloma and his siblings/cousins?