Author Topic: Help Trace My Grandmother Bridget Mary Roche  (Read 15390 times)

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help Trace My Grandmother Bridget Mary Roche
« Reply #81 on: Monday 14 November 16 20:13 GMT (UK) »
the other day I was checking electoral rolls for London and came across a complete Roche family working as domestics in a large London household, it was the Ancestry site and listed at the side were links to further records concerning the same family; one of the links was the Transatlantic passenger lists to new York. It wasn't until later that I started to think that perhaps this was the missing family from Michael's household at Glanworth; I haven't bothered to check it as it doesn't relate to my grandmother.
I am not sure if it was an electoral roll or perhaps the 1911 census.
Thankyou for asking your Glanworth expert. I am concentrating on the 1st world war to see if that leads me in the direction of the right 'Bridget'. (Iam trying to pinpoint the area my grandfather served as an army supply corps soldier)
I had an early portrait photograph of her that resembled the archive photographs in the Waterford Museum; the archivists kindly offered to look at this image and they think it was staged in a Clonmel studio, so that's good news. 

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Monday 14 November 16 20:29 GMT (UK) »
geraldine I wouldnt totally dismiss the daughter of Arthur & Bridget Roche.  You thought given this bridgets birth year she would have been too old to have a child.  Seemingly not - my contact informed me his own grandmother married in her early 40's and had 2 children. Arthur as a name is not very common & the only 1 is the person in Manning Glanworth from searching all counties in the census .

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Monday 28 November 16 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geraldine, did you manage to get your grandfathers military records?  I have retrieved some myself from UK archives online.  I feel if you can find where your gf was stationed while in Ireland it could help establish a place to search for Bridgets origins.

Regarding the Bridget Roche in 1901 in Manning Glanworth I think we can now rule her out. Looking through the Ellis Island records I found a Bridget Roche arriving in USA in 1904 from Glanworth age 25 Ship Lucania (age fits with bridget in census I recall her being born c. 1879)

Rgds

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 09:16 GMT (UK) »
thanks for keeping up with my search, I was seriously starting to think that the 1879 Bridget was my grandmother, I am getting to the point where all my leads are coming to a dead end.
I have asked someone in Waterford to look at a couple of photographs to see if any of the people are familiar and can connect my grandmother to a particular part of Waterford County, I am waiting for their feedback. An early portrait that I had checked was probably taken in a Clonmel studio; so that's something.
I used a Great War forum and a 'poster' said that my grandfather's service records couldn't be found via Ancestry; the site kept showing'no results'  (some of these records were destroyed in WW1). Once you have a service record you can get the diaries that describe the location and movements of the unit. I have his medal index card but haven't been able to read it as the writing is so scrambled; I am seeing my daughter this Saturday and she should have a printed copy which I can have a good look at. Medal index cards are only relevant to battle fields abroad so I am not confident that there will be anything about Ireland. I have emailed and written to Irish heritage centres and military museums to ask about the role Of Errisbeg House Co. Galway in the 1st w.war as I have a photo portrait of my grandfather with Errisbeg House, Roundstone 1919 written on the back. Most of these sites and museums don't bother replying. War records can be obtained from the MOD for a non refundable fee of £30.00. but as nothing has come up on Ancestry, I am reluctant to try it. I have learned from the Great War Forum that there's a very detailed book on the Army Supply Corps that everyone uses; it can be bought on Amazon for £45.00!! It's actually out of print, hence the price.  Otherwise I have been going through family trees that show a DNA match with me on Ancestry and that's a bit of a mine field; there are no Roches (that would be too easy), but lots of Murphys, Hogans and Mullins. Any more ideas will be very welcome...Geraldine 96

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Friday 13 January 17 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Can someone tell me which areas are EXCLUDED on the Church records available from Irish Ge neology.

I want to check records for Waterford County, Wexford County, Kilkenny (South), Tipperary (South) and S.E. Cork. Basically all counties bordering Waterford.

It would be easier if Iishgeneology had a map to show the areas that have digitised church records

i am living in England and have to use maps, as I don't know my way around this part of Ireland. Thanks for any help..

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Friday 13 January 17 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Easier to check what records they do have -
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/parishes.jsp
They list the Cork (RC) records here-
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/parishes/Cork%20&%20Ross%20(RC).pdf

The maps here might help you (registers online)-
http://registers.nli.ie/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Friday 13 January 17 12:06 GMT (UK) »
thankyou aghadowy for prompt reply; I have made a note of the info.

A DNA match with a Roche descendant has turned up on Ancestry but we don't know enough about our respective Roche backgrounds to identify the connection. The family with the Roche DNA match to me are in Australia.
I still have no conclusive proof that reveals the Irish family of my grandmother but I am keeping the search active.

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Thursday 19 January 17 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible for the same person to be listed on the 1911 census in England and listed again on the 1911 census in Ireland?

If the respective censuses were carried out on different dates and a person or family moved from England to Ireland between census dates, I assume they could be recorded twice...Does anyone know if this is possible? Thanks...

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Thursday 19 January 17 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible for the same person to be listed on the 1911 census in England and listed again on the 1911 census in Ireland?

If the respective censuses were carried out on different dates and a person or family moved from England to Ireland between census dates, I assume they could be recorded twice...Does anyone know if this is possible? Thanks...

Should not happen, as the census was on the same day. But I have seen a few examples over the years of the same person listed twice in both Irish and US census returns. [Makes a welcome relief from the more common issue of not being in the census at all].
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area