Author Topic: Help Trace My Grandmother Bridget Mary Roche  (Read 15167 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Trace My Grandmother Bridget Mary Roche
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 October 16 17:15 BST (UK) »
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 October 16 17:29 BST (UK) »
Two questions
- Where was her marriage in 1920?
- How certain is the reading of her father's name as Arthur?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 October 16 17:42 BST (UK) »
Good points Wexflyer. I would also ask what is the origin of the information that she was born ca 1888? Age on marriage certificate may have been given wrongly [deliberately or not] and age on death certificate is only as good as the informant's knowledge.

The second picture is of, I think, a studio picture when she was a teenager...is there any indication on the reverse of the picture as to photographer or where it was taken?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 October 16 18:04 BST (UK) »
If she met your Grandfather in England then maybe that's where you will find her on the 1911 census.
Liverpool?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 October 16 18:48 BST (UK) »
treetotal; my irish grandmother met my english grandfather in Ireland, I think he was posted to Ireland in the 1st world war; he was Edward Costiff Bradfield. 
josey, you are quite right, her age was always assumed, her burial records say she was born circa 1888 and died at the age of 71; this information was given by her husband.
Wexflyer, my grandmother was married in 1920 in central London at the catholic cathedral, the name of her father Arthur is very clear (written on marriage certificate) and is the only clue I have about her family, his profession is also noted on the certificate (blacksmith) he was listed as deceased.  i have also come across the Roche family from East Manning, I have found Patrick Roche from WEST Manning (who was a blacksmith) but the ages and family names don't add up.( I have used Ancestry and Find my Past) I can try and check the military records (on line) to find where he was posted in Ireland. We have a picture of him in military coat and hat taken at Errisbeg House Roundstone Galway dated 1919. Thankyou everyone for all the info. Hope you'll keep posting with your ideas.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 October 16 19:03 BST (UK) »
Maybe try finding Arthur's Death?

Plus Mother..
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 01 October 16 19:33 BST (UK) »
treetotal; my irish grandmother met my english grandfather in Ireland, I think he was posted to Ireland in the 1st world war; he was Edward Costiff Bradfield. 
josey, you are quite right, her age was always assumed, her burial records say she was born circa 1888 and died at the age of 71; this information was given by her husband.
Wexflyer, my grandmother was married in 1920 in central London at the catholic cathedral, the name of her father Arthur is very clear (written on marriage certificate) and is the only clue I have about her family, his profession is also noted on the certificate (blacksmith) he was listed as deceased.  i have also come across the Roche family from East Manning, I have found Patrick Roche from WEST Manning (who was a blacksmith) but the ages and family names don't add up.( I have used Ancestry and Find my Past) I can try and check the military records (on line) to find where he was posted in Ireland. We have a picture of him in military coat and hat taken at Errisbeg House Roundstone Galway dated 1919. Thankyou everyone for all the info. Hope you'll keep posting with your ideas.

Apologies...I thought you said in your first post that you thought she met him in England during WW1...My mistake.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 01 October 16 19:39 BST (UK) »
Well, you may indeed have a problem finding these folk.
Edward Costiff Bradfield served as a private in the RASC during the Great War (medal index records). Service or pension record do not seem to survive.
No matching "Arthur" "blacksmith" in 1901 or 1911 census, nationwide search
No matching "Roche" "blacksmith" in 1901 or 1911 census, "    "
No matching Arthur Roche death 1880-1920, " " (with online access)
No matching Arthur Roche marriage. " " (with online access)
No matching birth for Bridget Roche 1885-1895 in Waterford, New Ross, Enniscorthy, or Wexford RDs....

Two important notes:
- I did not search the other four RDs in Co. Waterford, or Gorey in Co. Wexford.
- If you enter Waterford or Wexford as the location in the Civil Registration website, you are NOT searching the entire counties, but just the specific RDs with those names, which are just a part of each county.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 01 October 16 20:18 BST (UK) »
She's found easily enough with her husband in the 1939 Register, where we aren't allowed to do lookups. You'll find it on FindMyPast (subscription or credits needed).

The entry gives an exact date of birth, which may or may not be accurate. If it is, it may be useful for cross-matching any other records you can find, regardless of father's name.