Author Topic: Adam Alderson (abt 1765 – 1814). How can I find his birth and parents?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline henrietta165

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adam Alderson (abt 1765 – 1814). How can I find his birth and parents?
« on: Sunday 02 October 16 07:13 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the birth of my ancestor Adam Alderson. Here is what I know about him from on-line sources: He married Elizabeth Hutchinson on 29 May 1794 in the parish of St Luke, Old St, Finsbury, London. Later that year Adam became an articled clerk to an attorney in London. At this time they were living at London Wall, London. Between 1794 and 1812 they had a family of 6 girls (or possibly 7, with1 dying in infancy) and 3 boys. Adam completed his articles and became an attorney and they lived at Token House Yard.

Adam died in 1814 and is buried at Bunhill Fields, London. He was a non-conformist. His age at death, 49, gives a birth year of about 1765.

Although all my information has his residence as London (from 1794 on), I have been unable to find a birth record for Adam Alderson in London or close by. I have a hunch that he might be the Adam Al(l)derson who was born in parish of Barnard Castle, Durham and baptized 25 Jan 1765. The parent’s of this Adam Alderson were Roger Alderson and Dorothy Plewes and he was the youngest of several children. Can anyone help me find any further information that could prove or disprove my theory? I know that my Alderson ancestors had some connection with Durham since Adam’s second eldest daughter married there in 1827. This daughter also had a cousin “Mr Burry of Durham”. And another daughter is buried in Durham, although she had lived most of her life elsewhere.

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Alderson (abt 1765 – 1814). How can I find his birth and parents?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 October 16 07:39 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify the cousin's name.

From a Durham newspaper 1844
Died aged 76 Mrs.Alderson relict of Adam Alderson,Esq. solicitor of London and aunt of James Barry,Esq. of this city

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 October 16 10:28 BST (UK) »
Have you been able to trace back on Elizabeth Hutchinson?

I see a James Barry gent/magistrate died in Durham in 1847 aged 60.

The closest birth I can find is for a James Berry (e not a) b.1787 Durham parents James and Sarah.

And a marriage in Pittington, Durham of a James Barry and Sarah Hutchinson.

So wondered if Sarah might be sister to Elizabeth.

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 October 16 11:04 BST (UK) »
Had a look at his death registration and it states his name as Aden not Adam

Offline henrietta165

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 13:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lily M for the information. You have made me realise that I had some clues staring me in the face. Adam's son James named his first born son James Barry (no doubt after his mother's nephew) and his next two sons were Alfred Hayes and James Coulston (James Barry died in infancy). So it is likely that the names Hayes and Coulston also come from the family tree (and more likely from Adam and Elizabeth's side than from James wife's side). I will do some searching.
Thanks Jolee. I believe that Aden is an error - it does look like an e but the last letter is hard to read. I have his will which clearly states "Adam Alderson of Token House Yard".

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 August 21 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hello henrietta165

Although this is an old post, I was wondering if you had any luck finding the birthplace and parents of Adam Alderson.  His second daughter, Ann married Carlisle Bamlett who is a distant relative of mine.

I saw this week that Findmypast had free newspapers to look at. When I typed in the name Bamlett, a report of the marriage of Carlisle Bamlett and Ann Alderson came up giving her father's name. I was a bit surprised as in the census returns she always gives her birthplace as Durham.  It is correct though as Ann Bamlett is mentioned in her mother's will.

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 August 21 10:20 BST (UK) »
henrietta165 you may already have this by now.

Hello Chris

Adam ALLDERSON Bapt 25 Jan 1765 Chapelry of Barnard Castle, Gainford, Durham
Father RODGER Allderson
Abode Barnard Castle
Note; Rodger Allderson junior

Sibling ANN bapt 14 Mar 1762

Burials same Church;
GRACE 18 Jul 1776, Wife of ROGER Snr
+ a RODGER 11 Jan 1784, no other details

All on FreeREG, name as Rodger/Roger and Allderson/Alderson

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 August 21 10:27 BST (UK) »
Burial of DOROTHY, Wife of Rroger is there 09 Feb 1806
Age 83
Died 7th Feb. Late PLEWES. Husband's occupation - Weaver
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 August 21 10:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information Trish. I did see that baptism for Adam Alderson in Bernard Castle.  The dates for perfectly and I can't see another Adam Alderson. The only very slight concern is that he didn't name any of his children after his parents.  Thanks for the burials too, I hadn't seen those.

Adam seems to have done well for himself, becoming an attorney in London.  I'll try to have a look at the rest of the Alderson family

Thanks again
Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett