Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 159736 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #1026 on: Sunday 24 February 19 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ben

Thank you very much for your interest and reply.

I have wondered if there were any new or other George Hood Military records.

----------

We discussed two George HOODs (so far) on three Army records previously.

The George Hood at Leeds rejoined (so has two Army records), originally he was born Burneston near Bedale and died Leeds in the same month and Year of 1845, as my George Hood, on the following thread:- George Hood 1st Foot Guards born Bonden Yorkshire - Where is Bonden? Army List?
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=728347.msg5734006#msg5734006

The other George Hood was from Bonden County of York, wherever that was/is? However, that George Hood was too old.

Hopefully, your find is another George Hood I hope, but I'm not familiar with military history of this period.

----------

I'll take a look. Interesting though, as my 2 X Gt Grandfather also called George Hood born Selby 1847 (Grandson of the mystery George Hood) moved to Bowdon Cheshire when leaving home and his Brother William Hood born Selby 1849 moved to Manchester and became the Rev. Wm Hood.

Thanks, Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: Monday 25 February 19 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,

I've not read the whole thread (but I've read a few dozen pages of it) but I had a quick look tonight from an 'outsider's' view to see if there's anything I could uncover. Something I don't recall reading about before is a George Hood enlisting for the Napoleonic Wars in 1800. He is listed as from Knaresborough which is less than 30 miles away from Selby which is where George was known to be from.

Here's the details I could find on FindMyPast:

First name(s)   George
Last name   Hood
Enlisted year   1800
Enlisted day   3
Enlisted month   Aug
Where enlisted   Manchester
Place   Knearsborough
County   Yorkshire
Remarks   Another Attestation R193(33)
Reference   R191
Page   339
Dataset title   Napoleonic War Records 1775 - 1817
Category   Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory   Regimental & Service Records
Collections from   Great Britain, England

I hope this doesn't give you false hope, but I hope it may be of some relevance to you.

Hello Ben

I have found what appears to be a Pay Book (on Ancestry) for the 1st Regiment Foot Guards 1806 to 1811 and although the page number/reference is not the same as the posted information, it says for George Hood date of Enlistment or former Service 4 August 1800.

I have checked the images previously saved for the Army record of George Hood born Bonden, Yorkshire and his Statement of Service says:-
2nd West York 4 Jany 1793 to 3 August 1800.
1st Foot Guards 4 Aug't 1800 to 8 Sept 1814.

Looking at the Service dates it does seem that the George Hood born Bonden was likely the same George Hood from Knaresborough, Yorkshire.

Thank you for your interest, Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: Saturday 02 March 19 18:11 GMT (UK) »

June 1847
Milford, Near Ferrybridge. – The thirteenth anniversary of the Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School was held on the 9th inst., … When the tea was cleared the scholars and friends proceeded to the chapel, where they were addressed by the Rev. J Pearson, of Selby ; Mr. Rodger, teacher of the Selby Day School ; Mr Rhoder, Leeds ; Mr Scholefield, Mr Duke, and other friends. … .

Note made: A John Rodger was a witness at Maudland Hood’s Wedding at Selby in 1794.

Mark

Added Mr Rhoder, Leeds, might be Mr Rhodes, Leeds, a Wesleyan.

Hello

Hoods of Selby also had Wesleyan Methodist connections in the 19th Century.

The name Independent Methodists in England, Great Britain was apparently adopted at Warrington in the late 19th Century, from small break away groups from the Wesleyan Methodists many in North-east England, some originally forming back in the late 18th Century.

They were removed from the Wesleyan Methodist Meetings and some tried to align themselves with the Quakers and known as Quaker Methodists, but were refused Membership by the Quakers too.

It was reputed that some others were known as 'Church Methodists' whose aim was to attend church to convert church attenders away to their own branch of Methodism and chapels.

Because James Hood of Selby married Sarah Arundel a Wesleyan Methodist and at least one of their Daughters Mary Ellen Hood married Arthur Chapman at the Selby Wesleyan Chapel in 1873. I'm wondering if the mystery George Hood of Selby might have been a 'Quaker Methodist'.

Frances Stears at Maudland Hood's 1794 Selby Wedding was definitely a Quaker.

Possibly John Rodger had a leaning toward Methodism (see quote). John Green later sharing George Hood's Selby premises was related to the Rodger family at Pollington and possibly the same John Green was an Independent, when his Daughter married in the Independent Chapel at Selby in 1848.

Alfred Wm Hood born Selby was in Warrington about the right time the Independent Methodists were officially recognised, along with Wife, Edith Hood (nee Scaum) who herself had been ejected from the Quakers.

George & William Hood (born Selby 1847 and 1849) had moved to Manchester sometime in the 1860s.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: Saturday 09 March 19 18:22 GMT (UK) »

Marriage was at Mildenhall 10 Feb 1827 after Banns

John Hutchins OTP and a bachelor
Eleanor Coward spinster of Burbage

He left his mark, she signed

Witnesses:
William Hammond
Hannah Hammond
Mary Jane Holloway

That's it, Claire. Unlike, George Hood, they were just a bit younger and he also lived longer than G.H., so have their Birthplaces (not on the marriage).

Regards Mark

Hello

On the Hutchins, I thought I had developments back into the mid 18th Century with a 1784 Marriage and a Bond which also gave his Father!

ADDED: Well no developments exactly, there is a coincidence! Or the George Hood kiss of doom  ;D  ;D

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=425356.msg6694535#msg6694535

A number of lines of Inquiry for the Hoods to be checked now in archives  ;D  ;D !

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: Thursday 14 March 19 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Mrs Maudlin( nee Hood) Turner wife of Charles Turner. Selby
----------------------------------------------------------------

Righard Gibson's wife was Elianor Wainwright marr 1792 Selby
----------------------------------------------------------------

Burial
Mary Turner Wainwright   
 Maiden Name     Turner   
 Burial     1832   
    Monk Fryston, Selby District, North Yorkshire, England   

Death Date     08 Mar 1832   

Cemetery     St Wilfrid Churchyard, Monkfryston

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/104187229

-----------------------------

Puzzle: The change over  R Gibson to G Hood Cooper Wren Lane Selby, no records of bankruptcy sale (auction) of tools - stock in trade transfer too or bought by G Hood 1810 to 1812 ~ Why ?

Eleanor Wainwright was a widow when she married Richard Gibson.  She was Eleanor Colbert daughter of Leonard Colbert woodman of Selby  by Eleanor his wife dau of Mathew Lofthouse of Scarthingwell

Hello

I've found a George COOK marrying Julia Clabrough, with Charles HUDD & Sophia Evans X her mark, witnesses, in 1847 at Carlton Chapel, Snaith.

1808 Emanuel Claybrough her Father marrying Mary COLBERT in (1808), witnessed by Matt's Hepworth & Cath or Cuth [ ? ] 'th Joy at Carlton by Snaith.

Bit stuck on the Cath ... or Cuth ... signature for the moment (1808 Banns Carlton by Snaith image on f m p has signature)

AMENDED: Sophia Evans, signature ends with the words "her mark".

I will be trying again to find the history of Charles Hudd (witness 1847) who is of interest, please?

Eleanor Wainwright (Richard Gibson's Wife) was previously a Colbert.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: Saturday 30 March 19 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello

The 1815 Selby Marriage of George Hood and Sarah Russell was also in the York Courant newspaper and again it says ... both of that place.

Procter, Richardson and Adams collection

Four of the COOK family John Cook; Mary Cook; John Cook, Jun'r and Elizabeth Cook are "Relations" at the 1779 Marriage of Isaac RICHARDSON of the Grange St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, Surry [sic] Tanner Son of Isaac Richardson of Whitby and Isabella his Wife and Sarah Mayleigh Barnes Daughter of Samuel Barnes of Booth Street, Parish called Christchurch Middlesex.

Difficult to say which (handwriting looks frail), but Sarah Hood or Hird was one of the "Relations" at the 1815 Marriage of John Hustler of Bradford Yorkshire Merchant Son of John and Christiana his Wife both deceased and Mary Mildred of York Daughter of Daniel Mildred of London and Lydia his Wife, also deceased.

References to Cherry Hill, York and the Richardsons. Also the Richardson Tannery interests in Yorkshire at Gt Ayton, Whitby etc., and the Low Lights Tannery, Northumberland, with a reference in email correspondence to the family about the Richardsons of Willington Mill and the adjacent Ropemakers Hood Haggie, who were taken over by Bridon.

Isabella Richardson Dau of Isaac & Sarah Mayleigh Richardson born at half past 3 O'clock in the morning on 20th day of May 1786 at Cherry Hill, York, Witnesses Wm Champney and Mary Relph.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: Monday 01 April 19 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have found a second George Hood Marriage notice, this one in a York newspaper (previous one was in the Hull Packet).

----------

Also Richard Russell's 1851 Administration (Richard Russell married Mary Turner at Selby in 1835)
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=792827.msg6709139#msg6709139

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: Monday 13 May 19 21:30 BST (UK) »
This man Mr Schofield who claims to be a descendant of Matthew Hood. I've been looking into William Walker of Selby, baker. I have his Will - beneficiaries - Wife Susannah ( nee Moxon) and son William.

This Walker family didn't originate in Selby - they were from Thorne, near Doncaster.  William Senior was born 1759 son of a William W. He married Susannah and their only child ( I can see) and son William was born 1783 Thorne. At Some point they moved to Selby.

Another Walker baptising children in Selby is a Thomas Walker (wife Elizabeth Smith) - he too from the baptism of one of his children was from Thorne ( son of a Thomas - probable cousin of the above William ? ). He also had a son William in 1793.

When this William Walker (son of Thomas) married Sarah Sefton in Selby in 1815 - the witness was Maudland Hoods husband Charles Turner ( compared signatures fron his wedding). They were both blacksmiths.

Now lets go back to the William Walker buried in Selby 1811 - his son William bapt. 1783 Thorne

There is an 1851 census entry of a WILLIAM WALKER born c1783 THORNE - the only one born there using +/- few years either side - a visitor to a Judith H(awkin) Bell nee Wall ( married John Bell of Snaith at St Alkmund, Derby in 1810) , William W is with a wife ANN, both are listed as visitors.
He is also a retired MILLER.

William and Ann Walker baptised 7 children that I can see. Three of them being William, Ann & James in Independent Chapels in Doncaster between 1811-1822 - a miller on all baptisms

Now look back at the census posted in #559 - now is that a coincidence that a James COOKIN is there with William Walker - miller ?? Age a bit out - but what do you think ?

Hi

Claire I agree, Charles Turner (husband of Maudland Turner, formerly Maudland Hood) was a witness at the William Walker and Sarah Sefton, 1815 Marriage.

For Sarah Sefton's pedigree it says see p.19 of the Selby Register and this was when Alice Sefton was baptised in 1793 at Selby. Sarah and Alice Sefton's Mother was Ann Daur of Thos Burton of Selby, Joiner.

Makes me wonder (not checked yet) if any link to the Burton, linked to Sarah Russell, who married George Hood in 1815 at Selby.

----------

Regarding the Walker surname, an 1800 William CHESTER baptism at Selby, it says regarding the Mother's descent, Elizabeth Dau'r of William Ellis of Rocliff Banker by Hannah [WALKER] his Wife Daur of Thos Walker of Thorne Gardener.

Father was William Chester of Selby Sailer Son Francis Chester of Thorne Farmer by Rebecca his Wife.

William Chester was a Sailor, but I wonder (not checked yet) if William Chester links to the Chester Newby family.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: Saturday 18 May 19 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hello

Awaiting the 1816 Will bundle of Wm Batman of Selby, because George Hood was later one of the occupants of the premises owned by the Exors of Batman and there was a later Hood of Selby link to Bateman (via Wilkinson).

In 1839 George Hood with others were linked to the premises owned by Batman's Exors.

By 1840 Richard Precious now owned the premises (previously Batman's Exors) with Geo Hood and others still occupying.

Interesting that a Robert Precious married Hannah Newby 1825, Daughter of Hannah Newby (nee Chester) of Carlton, Snaith and Kellington and Mother of Chester Newby (George Hood's Marriage Bondsman).

Going back to the Batman surname, it appears at Eastrington - Mary BATMAN marrying Thomas SWAN in 1772. John BATMAN was a witness.

Then on the next Eastrington page (same opening) John Batman witnesses a John ANELAY, marriage in 1773. The Howdenshire History website suggests the early members of the Eastrington Ainley Family came from the Snaith area and mentions the 1773 Marriage.
http://www.howdenshirehistory.co.uk/eastrington/ainley-family-history.html

Interesting, because in 1802 a George Newby, Wheelwright, married Elizabeth Swan, Spinster both of Baln, Parish of Snaith and William HOOD and David SWANN were witnesses.

At Selby in 1811 Robert CHESTER, Sailor, married Jane BATEMAN, witnesses Thos AINLAY and John Jackinson.

There just seems to be a load of surname links with all this above lot!

----------

Then I find on the Borthwick catalogue for Yarburgh of Heslington ...

Agreement of Sarah and David SWANN, farmers, OF BALNE, with George John Yarburgh, to rent lands in Balne on annual basis, at £137 per annum

Wm Hood of Heslington is also linked to the Yarburgh of Heslington, due to Wm Hood holding some of Yarburgh lands.
Added: Elizabeth Hood 1717 seems to be listed under a Marriage Settlement list by Hull History Centre [Financial Settlement prior to an intended Marriage, usually to cover her settlement should her Husband die first] in the Greame papers, apparently linked with Yarburgh.

Yarburgh of Heslington also holds lands in various parts of the Parish of Snaith and just discovered Yarburgh of Snaith Hall and G. Cooke Yarburgh mentioned in 1826.

Therefore, I've ordered the full Will Bundle of William Hood of Heslington (rather than just my 1807 Inland Revenue Abstract Copy).

-----------

Clary WALKER first married Jonathan Ranby of Pollington and as Widow she married James Hood, Schoolmaster in 1762 at Snaith. Buried Snaith in 1794 as Clarissa Hood.

And who were witnesses in 1762 Samuel ANLEY (variations of that surname also cropping up often) and the other witness was Samuel Huscroft.

----------

Previously, traced back the ancestry of the Bell Hotel, Humberstone Gate, Leicester, proprietor's Wife, (where my 2 x Gt Grandmother was a Domestic in 1871, shortly before her Marriage) and the Proprietor's Wife descends from Robinson of Carlton, Snaith. In the same line, there was a Hannah Cooke and Wm Storr witnesses at the 1821 Snaith Wedding of John Robinson and Ann Eddell.

Fotunately, there is an 1839 Will for this John Robinson of Carlton, Widow Ann, the Hotel Wife's ancestor, so ordered that too.

Previously we discovered, in 1830 William Cockin of Snaith married Ann Robinson at Hatfield (William Cooke & John Hepworth were witnesses) and now wonder if they'll be related to this Robinson of Carlton line. Hopefully the Will might link a few, or perhaps the Leicester Hotel Proprietor's Wife was a relative of ours and how my 2 X Gt Grandparents met (the Proprietor's Wife and my 2 X Gt Grandfather both having links with Selby).

My Grandmother mentioned Snaith and Beverley, also Stephenson and Robinson.

So I still remain hopeful!

Mark