Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 162157 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #243 on: Monday 27 February 17 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Rebecca Hudd = William Cue

16 October 1777, Calne, Wiltshire

Nearest Hood - Coo, coming up on Family Search, Marriage so far.
Not excited, but interested to see what the Register says, please?

From Claire ...
Allegations for Marriage Licences in the Archdeaconry of Sudbury, Suffolk
George Coe, widower of Hargrave: husbandman & Mary HOOD single woman of Dalham at Dalham 20 September 1725
Page 84, number 114
https://archive.org/stream/allegationsforma69chur#page/84/mode/2up

1891 Name Distribution of Coo Families
England and Wales
Largest part of the Country 0
1 - 2   Families
3 - 5   Families
6 - 10 Families

Map
http://www.ancestry.co.uk/name-origin?surname=coo

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 00:48 GMT (UK) »
The registers for Calne are not on the sites I subscribe too ~ they only have the transcription that you have. Rebecca was buried in Calne in 1821 as CUE.

A later marriage:

22 Dec 1818 Tonbridge Kent, William Coe and Sarah Hood.

Wonder if this is something to do with what you were looking at yesterday,

https://archive.org/stream/fragmentagenealo01cris_0#page/38/mode/2up/search/Coo
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 01:27 GMT (UK) »
The registers for Calne are not on the sites I subscribe too ~ they only have the transcription that you have. Rebecca was buried in Calne in 1821 as CUE.

A later marriage:

22 Dec 1818 Tonbridge Kent, William Coe and Sarah Hood.

Wonder if this is something to do with what you were looking at yesterday,

https://archive.org/stream/fragmentagenealo01cris_0#page/38/mode/2up/search/Coo

Thanks Claire

No, but it is all interesting.

There are very few recordings of Arms in Scotland for people called Hood. They advised me who to contact.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 01:39 GMT (UK) »

Well that's good news, at least it's something to look into.

I wish we could get to the bottom of it :)

Just a thought, many wives travelled with partners who were in the army, navy etc. What if George's father was serving, say in Ireland or France ( another thread touched on this subject) and he was born 'at sea' or out of the country, but came here as a baby. Technically yes he was British but he may have been baptized elsewhere.

Not trying to make this harder or anything ::)

claire

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 10:36 GMT (UK) »

Death Certificate

Registration District SCARBOROUGH
1839 Death in the Sub-district of Scarborough in the County of York
15th May 1839 at Peak in the Township of Stainton dale
WILLIAM HOOD
Male
66 years
Labourer
Dropsy
Alley Hood In attendance Peak hill [could be Olley Hood, but an Aley Hood buried Cloughton 4 May 1864 per FS, see also Census]
Registered 16th May 1839
Isaac Walsham Registrar

Aley Hood buried Cloughton 4 May 1864. According to the new GRO Death Index was Female, District of Scarborough and aged 62 [born about 1802]

Regards Mark

Hi

Aley Hood, looks to be unmarried and aged 43 in the 1851 census at Claughton as 'dau' to John and Jane Hood, a 40 year old son William too. This looks to be the 'Scalby' couple we have looked at.
A 17 year old grandson 'John Hood born Southshields is with the household also.

Claire

Hi All

Thanks Claire

Look at the image in full.

The Cloughton 1851 Census page I have for John Hood (born Stainton Dale) and Jane Hood (born Scalby ?Dabbs?) of Newland's [Farm] Cloughton, with Grandson John L. Hood Ag. Labourer, aged 17, born Durham South Shields.

Father of John Laidler Hood baptised St Hilda, Abode South Shields 30 June 1833. Its our old friend George Hood the Mariner?

Got to find our research on George Hood, Mariner, again.

Regards Mark

George Hood Mariner Will, proved 1841
Link in Reply #6
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=736364.msg6018911#msg6018911

EDITED
George Hood, Mariner was Father in the 30 June 1833 St Hilda Baptism to John Laidler Hood and George was married twice, first to Mary.

M.I. records for Scalby and there is a July 1833 burial of Mary Hood (nee Mary Leadley), Cloughton.
Inserted by the transcribers is ... PR 1833 Jul 26 Mary Hood, Shields, 28.

One Hood family at Scarborough are also linked to the Leadley.
A John Leadley Hood was the Grandson of John Hood of Nettleham as well. Some of this Hood family of Nettleham, Lincs & Yorkshire were born to female nee Hoods. So some of the sons of nee Hood mothers, took Hood from their Grandfathers John Hood of Nettleham & William Hood of Northallerton.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=736364.0

Regards Mark

Hi

According to an old post in RootsChat Lincolnshire, I have connected John Laidler Hood incorrectly

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=736364.msg5821787#msg5821787

Reply #4 (see also Reply #3)
Thank you, Burial Register matches and the Christening date and Yafforth are a match too ...
Jno. Leadlow Hood, christened 29 September 1822, Yafforth Yorkshire, father John Hood and mother Ann Smith.

Marriage in IGI https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NKYY-JT5

14 May 1818 at Topcliffe
John HOOD to Ann Smith ROB

Her baptism https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JSL4-78B

Seems the Leadley of Yorkshire Will was being administered by the Hoods of Nettleham Hall, Lincoln.

Incidentally a Miss Leadley [spelt differectly in one of the newspapers] was there on the night of a massive fire, early hours of 1st March 1937.

Also a Wing Commander G. H. COCK M.C., (?Gerald Harry Cock) Commanding Officer of Scampton Aerodrome according to a newspaper and he had been let the Hall by Pilot Officer John S. F. Hood of Waddington Aerodrome, Lincoln. The C.O.s son was Peter Cock.

However, another newspaper says that Wing Commander Cock was occupying the Hall whilst Mrs Hood was in Italy.

Any HOOD - G. H. COCK marriage / name link, before 1815, please?

One unverified commercial source (that I am attempting to look into) is suggesting a link from the Coo Family surname to:- M'Coo and then Coc; Cok; Cook and Cooke via Ireland and Scotland.

However, the Irish Property Registers and Scotlands People circa 1700 to 1800 for McCoo and MacCoo, do not seem to support this commercial company claim.

Although you found a sideways marriage to a William Cook in the Gibson proposal, the Coo Seal and James Hood's daughter carrying Cook as a middle name, might suggest that George Hood (d.1845 Selby) had Cook ancestry himself.

Incidentally a John Cook occupied the premises at Knottingley immediately before George Hood's short occupation in 1813.

I am waiting for a clearer image, before I can reply to the Official Government Office with the requested documents.

Arms were granted to a named individual and there are rules about how they pass to the Heir, or in the case of Cadence (other sons).  Entitlement is officially confirmed and authorised by UK Government.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Cock/Hood marriages.

Some very early ones

Xpofer Cock mar. Elizabeth Hood 31 May 15, 1582: Spalding, St Mary St Nicolas, Lincs.

James Cock mar. Issobell Hood 16 May 1669 Kilspindie, Perthshire, Scotland.

Petherick Hood mar. Elizabeth Cock 27 Feb. 1605 St. Columb, Cornwall.

Alexander Hood mar. Isabel Cock 14 Jan. 1805 Tibbermore, Perthshire, Scotland.

Thought I would throw this in the mix, after the baptism of the George Hood born to Hope Hood ( still can't find him) in Dorset.

BRIDPORT 7th April 1768

Samuel Hood sojourner mar. Sarah Cook.
Witnesses: John Hood and John Jacobs

Claire

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 17:02 GMT (UK) »
George Hood son of Hope Hood baptised 25th Dec 1788 Broadwinsor Dorset

Hope Hood daughter of John & Elizabeth Hood baptised 22nd Feb 1765 Broadwinsor Dorset
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

General Monck had gathered an Army in Scotland from various families including Col. Hood and his supporters, some settling in Yorkshire, marched to London to restore Charles II to the throne in 1660.

Fifty years ago I recall a great debate as a small boy over what type of bird was in a motto my Grandmother Hood had. My Grandfather (Mum's side) was saying that is no Crow, Crows are large blackbirds like Rooks, up in woodland trees. This seems to rule out a link to Hood of Northallerton and Nettleham.

I heard about incursions over the Scottish - English border and also Bonnie Prince Charlie mentioned and the Battle of Culloden.

According to a Reference book found about persons concerned with the Rebellion, several Hoods were involved and this was at the time of Culloden.

I'm really bound, to see what, if anything I can trace about the Seal, especially as the first burial reveals little new information to confirm anything.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: Thursday 02 March 17 10:11 GMT (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939F-RF99-PK?mode=g&i=275&cc=1823613

Hello All

Interesting dobfarm, that you found a William Son of William Hood and a late Maria Proctor Sp'r at Hedenham in 1800.

Hedenham was next door to Ditchingham, from where these other Vincent Hoods (Samuel Hood, Head born Ditchingham about 1816) came from, who seemed to turn up at Long Drax, between the Census of 1851 (Ditchingham) and 1861 at Long Drax.

Nothing to link my George Hood with these other Hoods, at the moment.

-------------------------------------

The only reference from the Hutchinson Museum to a Selby Procter elsewhere, was:-

In a quotation from a letter of June 22, 1886 to his wife , he wrote: "…I have been a journey.  It occurred to me that I should much like to see uncle Proctor once more, so I went to Kettering this afternoon, I was glad I went…Uncle Proctor has expressed a wish to be buried at Gedney…"

George Hood's association with Procter of Selby may have been a business one to start with (Hood Brewery premises owned by Procter), but because of the Quaker burial of George Hood a non-Quaker, the Hoods of Selby must have been very well acquainted with the Procters and Hutchinsons of Selby. See Edit.

EDIT: Although the Thorne Quaker wedding James Backhouse = Mary Dearman, in the Sixth Month of 1787 had a Procter and Hord as relatives.

Regards Mark

Hopefully, the improved image of the Seal might help with the Ancestry of my elusive George Hood  ;D