Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 159653 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #576 on: Sunday 02 July 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
Maybe time to take stock of what you have acquired Mark, and there is plenty. Actually there could be something in info you have already gathered in the past that could lead somewhere.

Quote Mark

Hood of Airmyn Hall, Goole
An "Assent" document of 1908, Executors of the Late Francis Wheler Viscount Hood, witnessed at the Buckingham Palace Hotel S.W.

The Assent is signed by Edith Lydia Drummond Hood (witnessed by Dorothy V Hood of The Manor House [?] Sussex, Spinster) and Alexander Frederick Hood (witnessed by Sibill Hood of Airmyn Hall, Goole) of Airmyn Hall, Goole in the County of York.

There are also references to Grosvenor Arthur Alexander Hood now Viscount Hood and another witness, a representative Captain Victor Napier Ward.

I've wondered for a long time if George came to Selby from the Navy, or if he was illegitimate of some family.

Kind regards Mark

(post #172)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=742806.msg5959984

HMS Acasta  ??? 1812

Something to research

Based on possible scenario of known linking surnames, dates of interest and a port of Hull

Gibson the Cooper Wren lane Selby

George son of Hannah Gibson of Cottingham (Hull area) (illegitimate) bapt 1786 father ? ( Hood ? )

Jno  Hood father Robt  —  Hull, Holy Trinity  bapt  1739 (possible John Hood mariner buried 1819 aged 82 (born 1737)  Selby

Land tax - owner property Micklegate, J Spencer his son lived in Cottingham - occupier Mr J Hood

Micklegate crosses Wren Lane Selby

regards Dobby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: Sunday 02 July 17 23:56 BST (UK) »
This man Mr Schofield who claims to be a descendant of Matthew Hood. I've been looking into William Walker of Selby, baker. I have his Will - beneficiaries - Wife Susannah ( nee Moxon) and son William.

This Walker family didn't originate in Selby - they were from Thorne, near Doncaster.  William Senior was born 1759 son of a William W. He married Susannah and their only child ( I can see) and son William was born 1783 Thorne. At Some point they moved to Selby.

Another Walker baptising children in Selby is a Thomas Walker (wife Elizabeth Smith) - he too from the baptism of one of his children was from Thorne ( son of a Thomas - probable cousin of the above William ? ). He also had a son William in 1793.

When this William Walker (son of Thomas) married Sarah Sefton in Selby in 1815 - the witness was Maudland Hoods husband Charles Turner ( compared signatures fron his wedding). They were both blacksmiths.

Now lets go back to the William Walker buried in Selby 1811 - his son William bapt. 1783 Thorne

There is an 1851 census entry of a WILLIAM WALKER born c1783 THORNE - the only one born there using +/- few years either side - a visitor to a Judith H(awkin) Bell nee Wall ( married John Bell of Snaith at St Alkmund, Derby in 1810) , William W is with a wife ANN, both are listed as visitors.
He is also a retired MILLER.

William and Ann Walker baptised 7 children that I can see. Three of them being William, Ann & James in Independent Chapels in Doncaster between 1811-1822 - a miller on all baptisms

Now look back at the census posted in #559 - now is that a coincidence that a James COOKIN is there with William Walker - miller ?? Age a bit out - but what do you think ?
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: Monday 03 July 17 00:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you Claire

My Selby Parish Trancriptions ...
17 Sept 1785 Henry BACON ...
1. Confirm Henry Bacon was a Tanner, a Surgeon and Apothecary of Selby, dying aged 60 and buried in the body of the Church
2. Henry Bacon's wife was Hannah Hood, daughter of Mr Hood of Selby, Surgeon.

Think a Hood of Selby, has married a Smith too, circa ?1730s?

Walker and a younger James Cookin (son perhaps) in same 1841 Census household? Millers too.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: Monday 03 July 17 00:49 BST (UK) »
Samuel Hood marriage 1733
married by Licence - I can't see any transcript of it. FS do have ages Samuel was 47 bn c1684 and Elizabeth was 37.

F M P have a transcript of the marriage taking place at Snaith 25 Dec. 1731 and an image from the register of Selby says 1733 ???
When Thomas Pearson Cockin married in Doncaster 1804 - two of the witnesses surnames were Walker.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: Monday 03 July 17 09:20 BST (UK) »
This man Mr Schofield who claims to be a descendant of Matthew Hood. I've been looking into William Walker of Selby, baker. I have his Will - beneficiaries - Wife Susannah ( nee Moxon) and son William.

This Walker family didn't originate in Selby - they were from Thorne, near Doncaster.  William Senior was born 1759 son of a William W. He married Susannah and their only child ( I can see) and son William was born 1783 Thorne. At Some point they moved to Selby.

Another Walker baptising children in Selby is a Thomas Walker (wife Elizabeth Smith) - he too from the baptism of one of his children was from Thorne ( son of a Thomas - probable cousin of the above William ? ). He also had a son William in 1793.

When this William Walker (son of Thomas) married Sarah Sefton in Selby in 1815 - the witness was Maudland Hoods husband Charles Turner ( compared signatures fron his wedding). They were both blacksmiths.

Now lets go back to the William Walker buried in Selby 1811 - his son William bapt. 1783 Thorne

There is an 1851 census entry of a WILLIAM WALKER born c1783 THORNE - the only one born there using +/- few years either side - a visitor to a Judith H(awkin) Bell nee Wall ( married John Bell of Snaith at St Alkmund, Derby in 1810) , William W is with a wife ANN, both are listed as visitors.
He is also a retired MILLER.

William and Ann Walker baptised 7 children that I can see. Three of them being William, Ann & James in Independent Chapels in Doncaster between 1811-1822 - a miller on all baptisms

Now look back at the census posted in #559 - now is that a coincidence that a James COOKIN is there with William Walker - miller ?? Age a bit out - but what do you think ?

Jane Hood burial 1803 Selby wife of John Hood a mariner.

John Hood X Jane Bell married 18 May 1769 Alnwick Northumberland

Est age Jane Hood born 1738
                                                     married 1769 (As above- if them)
Est age John Hood born 1737

Alnwick (Alnmouth) and Selby both 18th century ports

Coincidence  ??? on names but also on age and no other marriage to fit Jane Hood burial age 65 in 1803. ?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: Monday 03 July 17 09:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you Claire

My Selby Parish Trancriptions ...
17 Sept 1785 Henry BACON ...
1. Confirm Henry Bacon was a Tanner, a Surgeon and Apothecary of Selby, dying aged 60 and buried in the body of the Church
2. Henry Bacon's wife was Hannah Hood, daughter of Mr Hood of Selby, Surgeon.

Think a Hood of Selby, has married a Smith too, circa ?1730s?

Walker and a younger James Cookin (son perhaps) in same 1841 Census household? Millers too.

Regards Mark

Samuel Hood marriage 1733
married by Licence - I can't see any transcript of it. FS do have ages Samuel was 47 bn c1684 and Elizabeth was 37.

F M P have a transcript of the marriage taking place at Snaith 25 Dec. 1731 and an image from the register of Selby says 1733 ???
When Thomas Pearson Cockin married in Doncaster 1804 - two of the witnesses surnames were Walker.

Hello

Thanks Claire.

1733 Samuel Hood = Elizabeth Smith, intended to Marry at Selby OR Brayton. 

One thousand seven hundred and thirty three one which Day appeared personally Samuel Hood of Selby ... aged above forty Seven Years and a Widower. Attachment from m/film.

The Bond confirms Samuel Hood of Selby a Yeoman and his Bondsman was Joshua PYMONT per signature of the [Crlty?] of York Yeo.

--------

A Nathanael Hood of Brayton had a Son Samuel baptised 16 December 1733. 
A Nathanael Hood had a Daughter Elizabeth at Brayton 25th January (Eccls Year) 1735/6.

--------

Re the Tim Schofield research, who has Robinson and Walker and Bacon links to Matthew Hood (d.1717) of Selby.

Claire, you have made a (same household link and Miller occupation 1841) link, Walker to a younger James Cookin (too young for 1815 Marriage, but possibly a Son of James Cookin on G. Hood's 1815 Marriage at Selby) and

also a Pearson Cockin, Witnesses Walker.

Thomas Walker and wife Elizabeth Smith, baptising some children at Selby.

A Charles Turner (husband of Maudland Hood) signature on a Wm Walker 1815, Selby Marriage.

1830: We know a William COOKE was a witness at the Wm Cockin of Snaith and Ann Robinson, Marriage at Hatfield.

Walker and Bell link and

dobfarm's John Hood and Jane Bell marriage, estimated age?, (for Jane Hood of Selby burial in August 1803)

Great research! Keep working the magic and see where it goes to?

EDIT: Thanks dobfarm

2nd EDIT: Regarding the Miller occupation, there were also John Hoods of Costa Mill, Millers.

We'll search the Yorkshire newspapers for Walker.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: Monday 03 July 17 14:28 BST (UK) »

Joshua Pyemont/Pymont and other variations was an Innholder - died 1741. Married twice - 1729 to Sarah Nelson and 1740 to Mary Cave.

Appears in Freedom of the City of York records also in the Deeds registers numerous times.

I don't understand these records so make of it what you will - Indenture of lease between J Pymont and Nathaniel Staveley of Pontefract - houses on Skeldergate: occupied by J Pymont, Mr Hodgson and a William Cocken.

It was part of an inheritance from the Will of an Edward Brough.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: Monday 03 July 17 17:35 BST (UK) »

What do we know about the Samuel Hood's born in Selby ?

Have an inventory of the goods of one man dated 1738, Surgeon and barber. Wife Elizabeth.

Is he the one that married in 1733 or is there another ?

There is a Samuel Hood in York too - a brickmaker - had a daughter Mary who married a Mr Cuss. Think he married a couple of times.

From his burial in York in 1794 - he was 87, so birthyear c1707.

And another in Selby son of Nathaniel.

So many Hoods  :-\

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: Monday 03 July 17 18:49 BST (UK) »

Joshua Pyemont/Pymont and other variations was an Innholder - died 1741. Married twice - 1729 to Sarah Nelson and 1740 to Mary Cave.

Appears in Freedom of the City of York records also in the Deeds registers numerous times.

I don't understand these records so make of it what you will - Indenture of lease between J Pymont and Nathaniel Staveley of Pontefract - houses on Skeldergate: occupied by J Pymont, Mr Hodgson and a William Cocken.

It was part of an inheritance from the Will of an Edward Brough.

Hello Claire

Thanks Claire.

Signature also looks like Pyimont on the Marriage Bond.

If no Release, then Pymont is Leasing the Skeldergate Houses to Staveley of Pontefract, possibly for a term of Years.
Mr Pymont; Mr Hodgson and Mr Cocken were all occupying the property/houses.

Mr Cocken a coincidence, I wonder.

But are we digressing a bit too far, looking at Pymont?

Charlotte Nelson was linked to Samuel Hood family, but that was later (1806 Marriage St Mary-le-bone and likely not our Hoods).

Another John Hood of Scarborough, Mariner, made a Marriage Intention / Bond 1778 with Sarah Hammond at St Giles. The Duchess of Hamilton was linked to Nelson and I believe the Hammond name was also linked in somewhere.

My Father wanted to see the steam locomotive called the Duchess of Hamilton, then at Butlins, but did not want to buy a day pass to get in, so I just about recall walking through grass and peering through Butlins boundary fence as a small boy, where my Father got a photo of the loco.

Probably digressing, but we don't quite have confirmation of who George Hood of Selby really was.

Definitely going to get more info re George Hood and H. M. Ship ACASTA too.

My Father as a young man had an interest in Ships and we looked at boats when the opportunity arose.

Regards Mark