Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 159603 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #594 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

Claire, that was the impression I got, plenty of Hoods at Selby early 18th Century. Many die off, but I suspect one or two moved or married away.

One Samuel Hood of Selby turns up buried at Thorganby.

We looked at some Reply #141 and adjacent
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=728231.msg5785728#msg5785728

According to a Selby Baptism of Susannah Maria Fisher in August 1789 to John and Jane Fisher, John Fisher was the son of Michael Fisher of Armin, Mariner, by Hannah [nee Hood] his wife, dau of Saml Hood of Selby, Surgeon.

Looked at Fisher Admin and/or Will, like the Bacon Admins and Will, no help.

Nathanael Hood having children at Brayton 1733-35, possibly linked to Selby.

Possibly a John Hood of Rocliff, might be from Selby and survived?

Property Memorial Documents

Regarding the HOOD Deed Memorial copies you refer to, does the source give you:- Place, Person's Name, date, Volume, Page and Folio?

You had to own property back then, to vote:-
The Poll for the City of York, 1741 page 33 ...
Names Hood John. Trades Barber. Place of Abode Rawcliffe.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=750788.msg5996765#msg5996765

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 19:58 BST (UK) »
The Deeds registers seem to get better as time goes on. Some are very basic with info and just name parties involved - others I've looked at have 'notes on inheritance, who married who,  'son of 'etc. etc. - place they are from. I will put up an example  :)

No folio numbers - just a name of the person(s) involved and the date it happened. Looks like it says it is - a register that has been made alongside the original documents.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 23:16 BST (UK) »
Right here is a copy of the register with the marriage of Nathaniel Hood

And a clip from the Deeds register - A Mr Weddall from Selby, just a short one, some are quite long

You can search the register by a name, place or occupation

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 02:04 BST (UK) »

DEEDS REGISTER

There are three entries regarding a John Hood or Hudd

A John Hudd of Killington dated 03 Jan 1727 - Can't tell what this one is but looks like a 'fine from A Pilkington to John Hudd.... a John Leadley also gets a mention.

John Hood barber/surgeon - certificate of exemption of Toll? or Poll dated 3 March 1740

John Hood 23 Dec 1742 - an Indres of lease release , names lots of people.
One of The Hoods in Selby leaves bequests to nieces and nephews Camp. Their father is German Camp, mother Jane - both die before 1715. So possibly another Jane Hood , I can't see a marriage as yet.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hello

Thanks for the Replies Claire and dobfarm.

Deeds Registers
Claire that Deeds Register folio, looks like the actual Deeds Memorials themselves (which were all, only very brief summaries of the Deed).

Are all the Yorkshire Riding Deed Registries searchable online 1700 to 1850, or just some online, on a subscription site?

I am aware that Yorkshire Deeds were Registered at Wakefield; Northallerton and I believe the other Registry was at Beverley?

Roger Hood of Selby - Deeds Registry Search
Wakefield have already done a paid search in respect of the characters in the Will of Roger Hood and it was inconclusive.

dobfarm, I've seen 19th Century transfers of the Poor from one Parish to another Parish, used very successfully by researchers on T.V.

Quaker
George Hood was buried by the Quakers as "Not in Membership" and I believe the answer to his Birth may be hidden away in Quaker records and we'll need to holiday in Leeds.

Ballast Hills Nonconformist Burial Ground - Newcastle
The paid search for the John Hood burial in Registers (& any other Hood/s found), noted in an 1827 Book, is acknowledged and I await a reply.

Some of the Hoods at Gateshead were NC and some Hoods generally were NC at burial.

The L.D.S. film of the Burial Ground, appears to be an M.I. list of the Memorials only.

Thank You
Thank you to all Rootschatters who have generously posted and helped.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #600 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

The dataset that F M P have released is just for the city of York. Included records are

York Freemen & Apprentices
Hearth & Window Tax
Militia & Muster Rolls
Calendar of Prisoners
Deeds registers

If they release more I shall let you know.

Have you searched the Hearth Tax Mark - 1672 - there should be Hoods on it - we would get a good idea of forenames etc. to look for

http://www.hearthtax.org.uk/search/

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 18:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Claire

Now I know the 8 Deed Memorial copies I've got, are not online, I don't feel so bad. They are interesting and nice to have, relating to my Ancestor George Hood!

There might be a development with one and I've got a Quaker question.

The Quaker Marriage is not on LDS Family Search.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 23:10 BST (UK) »
John Bacon of Selby, tanner Edward Hodgson of Kingston upon Hull, woodmonger 2. John Watson of Whitby, master mariner Recites that the house in Baxtergate, Whitby, stands as security on a mortgage to John Watson for £110 7s and interest. There is now due to John Watson £5 10s for interest. Now, John Bacon and Edward Hodgson for £55 over and above the said mortgage money secured on the house in Baxtergate, Whitby, paid to them by John Watson, assign to him the messuage, house and yard on Baxtergate, Whitby for the remainder of the term of 500 years as expressed in the original lease of 19 Apr 1673

https://archivesunlocked.northyorks.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=Z.132%2f6&pos=2

Reply #75
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=744970.msg6102137#msg6102137

Hello All

Nothing to get too excited about, but many people (Casson of Thorne, George Richardson of Selby and Richardson of Hull and elsewhere) and places previously discussed, including the Proctors and Hutchinsons of Selby!

The Richardsons had even been Tanners at Whitby, also Tanners at Newcastle and a reference to the Cook surname too, well Captain Cook.

Even an Isabel Richardson born 1777 (daughter of Henry and Hannah Richardson of Whitby) who married Henry Casson. Isabel Casson also being a Quaker, dying 1857 aged 80.

The Richardsons were Tanners at Low Light / North Shields Newcastle. John Richardson Proctor (son of Joseph Proctor of North Shields) apparently took over his uncle's works, of William and Henry Richardson, the Low Lights Tannery.

Loads of Marriages listed at the end, including Proctor and Hutchinson of Selby and a George Richardson born Selby, who married in New York.

Records of a Quaker Family: The Richardsons of Cleveland
https://archive.org/stream/recordsofquakerf00boyc#page/n9/mode/2up

Great book, but quite incredibly, absolutely NO reference to any Hood or Hord, not even William Hood who had married Jane Casson.

Perhaps a mention of my George Hood and John Hood of Selby (John Hood married Sarah Richardson of Selby, at Sculcoates, Nr Hull) were only omitted, as neither were Quakers and as Jane Casson did not marry a Richardson, she was also omitted?

Regards Mark
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth