Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 159748 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #819 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 21:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

EDITED
When the Will of my George Hood of Selby went to Probate in 1846, I'm wondering if you can recall if your 1846 reference "To do with Will", also applied to Boroughbridge underneath.

No mention in George Hood's 1846 Probate Will, to property other than Selby, (but I didn't expect George to be buried by the Quakers).

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=728231.msg5740636#msg5740636

Nothing in the Seven property Memorial Registrations about George Hood's ancestry.

Thank you

Regards Mark

The deeds were index of all named George Hood in the list 2015 not specifically your George Hood who died Sept 1845 - but 1846  suggest your George.

1846 is a few years after 1812, I wonder if the deeds to the property in Wren lane 1807 to 1812 would mention tenants ? after the hullabaloo of R Gibson's bankruptcy. Prete deeds

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 23:10 BST (UK) »

1846 is a few years after 1812, I wonder if the deeds to the property in Wren lane 1807 to 1812 would mention tenants ? after the hullabaloo of R Gibson's bankruptcy. Prete deeds

Lord Petre was Lord of the Manor

Manors may only have a Conveyance Deed, Feoffment, when the Manor ownership changes hands. These can list the Tenants names, but only current when the Manor ownership changes hands.

The Manor Office and/or Steward would have originally kept Accounts/Rentals (probably yearly originally) and a Manor Survey (every so often).

However, the Manor of Selby only seem to have kept the Copyhold transfers (now at Hull History Centre), but these are not regular Rental Accounts or Surveys of the Manor, which have not been located.

Wakefield Deed Memorial
I have the 1836 copy Deed Memorial when George Hood's Wren Lane premises transferred from the Manor of Selby ownership (hence the reference to Lord Petre and the Earl of Surrey) To George Hood and as you rightly say, it does confirm that at the last Survey (no date) the premises were once occupied by Richard Gibson and Thomas Holliday but now of George Hood and his Undertenants and John Green.

The Deed Memorial - Petre and Othrs To George Hood, does NOT confirm any ancestry relationship from Richard Gibson to George Hood. No mention of Copyhold either.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 08:43 BST (UK) »

The deeds were index of all named George Hood in the list 2015 not specifically your George Hood who died Sept 1845 - but 1846  suggest your George.

Hello All

Genuki has transcribed for BOROUGHBRIDGE

Pigot's Directory 1834
Coal Merchants, George Hood, Boroughbridge.
Corn Merchants & Dealers, George Hood, Boroughbridge.
Taverns & Public Houses, George Hood, Grantham Arms, Boroughbridge.

George Hood the Elder of Milby, Innkeeper, leaves a Will Proved in 1835, died 13 March 1835 (which I have the bundle of) to his children and only the residue to Son George Hood, after payment of funeral and expenses.

There appears to be a Deeds Memorial registration indexed for George Hood, Boroughbridge 1835 [possibly linked to the above Will, Proved 1835].

The 1851 Langthorp Census George Hood, Farmer of 69 acres (with 4 Lab[ourers] ), was born Milby.

But wondering if the two 1846 entries To do with Will in the Deeds Memorial Index are for George Hood (Selby) Will and also the full dates and Volume references of both in the 1846 Index?

Thank you, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
If the new WYAS register of deeds office system, still has the memorial actual deeds books on a shelf separate from Deeds index books (Which are big in their own right, accessed by the public, sometimes put back in no particular order or willy nilly) and main deeds. Then it may be easier to go straight to the deeds memorial books ! if the system is the same in their new modern purpose built state of the art building in Wakefield. (Modern way of wanting to tamper or change things  by the chap or person !! with 'a new idea' but in reality has 'no idea'  ;D suggest it will be different  ???)
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi dobfarm

Thank you.

I have never seen them, so don't know. But I've got several old Yorkshire Deeds with these references on.

But if I need to order a copy from here, they need the following references:-

Name
Date (Year it seems)
Place
Volume Letter/s (usually Letter/s it seems)
Page number [I would think the first five in this list with page number would be enough, but they list a further number too]
No (number)

I thought they looked them up in an Index first.

Yes, the researchers nightmare, people who never take enough time to put Fiche, Volumes etc., back in the correct order, or box! Yes, most of us have also travelled 120 - 250 miles or more, too.

Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 12:10 BST (UK) »
If the new WYAS register of deeds office system, still has the memorial actual deeds books on a shelf separate from Deeds index books (Which are big in their own right, accessed by the public, sometimes put back in no particular order or willy nilly) and main deeds. Then it may be easier to go straight to the deeds memorial books ! if the system is the same in their new modern purpose built state of the art building in Wakefield. (Modern way of wanting to tamper or change things  by the chap or person !! with 'a new idea' but in reality has 'no idea'  ;D suggest it will be different  ???)

When I was on a visit to the new WYAS building a couple of weeks ago, the Deeds Index Books are in the open public part of the research room, you have to order the Deeds Books in advance to be taken out of storage and then you're let into the "secure" research room.
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #825 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 19:17 BST (UK) »

When I was on a visit to the new WYAS building a couple of weeks ago, the Deeds Index Books are in the open public part of the research room, you have to order the Deeds Books in advance to be taken out of storage and then you're let into the "secure" research room.

Old system was you got the numbers off the index book, gave the number to the staff member and original big deeds book was normally on the table in minutes from selves near you.

New idea - can mean no flipping idea how to speed the process up.  ;D People can travel hundreds of miles

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 20:29 BST (UK) »

Old system was you got the numbers off the index book, gave the number to the staff member and original big deeds book was ...

Thanks for the replies.

For ordering copies of the Deed Registrations by post from home, just the references please (which seem, are in the Index Books) with the name, year & place.

I wish to order both those 1846 To do with Will and 1845 Boroughbridge.

I'm also drawn to some of the others e.g. Ripon 1844 for some odd reason.

I might order the remainder later.

Thank you.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 21:56 BST (UK) »
William Hood next to George Hood's Wren Lane premises (mentioned in the registration of 1836),

William Hood bapt 1816 or a brother of father John Hood my scenario of Jno Hood 1837 directory below or Jno  1837 directory and William 1836 registration brothers of George

John Hood son of George & Sarah bapt 1819 Selby = 18 years old in 1837

1837 has Jno Hood Tanner Selby ? (too young to be the above would have to be 21 as a full trader)
-----------------------------------------------------

Now say John Hood father of a George Hood bapt 1786/7 could have been born 1766  (John Hood publican Ship Gateshead ?)

Say a Jno Hood born 1767 would be 70 years old to be the Jno Hood tanner 1837 _ Just possible

Under Miscellany of trades

Transcript of the entry of 'professions and trades' for SELBY in White's Directory of 1837

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Selby/Selby37Dry

page 707 below link   Jno Hood tanner Gtp  (Gowthorpe)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=C8cHAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA534&dq=SELBY+in+White%27s+Directory+of+1837.&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=SELBY%20in%20White's%20Directory%20of%201837.&f=false