Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 159771 times)

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #837 on: Thursday 19 October 17 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

There are a few Frotheringham Wills all from Holbeach, after reading one of a Joseph F dated 1750 it would seem that this family are related to the Masseys, and by a marriage to the Hutchinsons.

Most of this mans estate was left to cousin "John Frotheringham" and cousin "John Massey".
A bequest to his son in law "Abraham Hutchinson"

William Massey marriage in 1785 - Elizabeth Pearson witnessed.

William Massey of Selby Merchant and Jonathan Hutchinson of Selby Merchant have both been involved (in some way, or occupying part) with my George Hood, Wren Lane, Selby (former Richard Gibson premises), before George Hood registered the premises in 1836 at Wakefield.

Seen various marriages 1767 (St Werburgh Hoo, Kent / Dio. of Rochester Kent); 1768 (Tynemouth); 1798 (Hull); 1813 (Warwick) and 1815 (Brompton, Northallerton) for:-

Hood = Hutchinson and
Hutchinson = Hood

Jonathan Hutchinson of Selby 1872 Probate Index entry lists Hutchinsons [likely related to the Testator], at various places.

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: Friday 20 October 17 01:56 BST (UK) »
Looking at Eastrington & Howden

Possible W. Hood signature on John COOKE Will dated 1798, with PEARSON family.

From 1550-1650 there are upwards of 150 BMD's for a HOOD(E) family in Eastrington, then nothing.

In Wallingfen (part of Eastrington) 1781-1825 A ANN HOOD spinster involved in property

9 September 1810 Isabella daughter of WILLIAM HAUD bapt. at Eastrington.

From 1728 and upto 1751 a William Hood & wife Elizabeth involved in property at Howden.

WELLS HOOD

- Part owned numerous sloops/schooners with a RICHARD CLIFFE of SELBY and others - registrations 1840.

Records here

http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/CalmView/Overview.aspx

Wells Hood was also an overseer of the poor at York ( thanks to dobfarm for that snippet )

Overseers of the Poor - As was Samuel HIRST & Thomas HOOD both of Kellington

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: Friday 20 October 17 10:28 BST (UK) »
Looking at Eastrington & Howden

Possible W. Hood signature on John COOKE Will dated 1798, with PEARSON family.

From 1550-1650 there are upwards of 150 BMD's for a HOOD(E) family in Eastrington, then nothing.

In Wallingfen (part of Eastrington) 1781-1825 A ANN HOOD spinster involved in property

9 September 1810 Isabella daughter of WILLIAM HAUD bapt. at Eastrington.

From 1728 and upto 1751 a William Hood & wife Elizabeth involved in property at Howden.

WELLS HOOD

- Part owned numerous sloops/schooners with a RICHARD CLIFFE of SELBY and others - registrations 1840.

Records here

http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/CalmView/Overview.aspx

Wells Hood was also an overseer of the poor at York ( thanks to dobfarm for that snippet )

Overseers of the Poor - As was Samuel HIRST & Thomas HOOD both of Kellington

Hello

Thank you very much Claire.

Massey of Selby
Are the Wills of William Massey of Selby 1843 and Jonathan Hutchinson of Selby c.1835? and 1872 online anywhere, please?

A William Massey was in partnership as a Brick and Tile maker at Selby, dissolved 1819.
Afterward 'Foster and Smithson' of Selby.

Disowned Quaker 1816. Reinstated 1820. Was that his Selby Church marriage 1815?

Hutchinson Massey
There is a Hutchinson Massey family in Cork, one is called Massey Hutchinson Massey Esq., of Macroom (also Macromp) Barony of West Muskerry, County of Cork. Family Seat - Mount Massey.

Hutchinson. Massey of Spalding
Those immediately connected with my George Hood, originated Gedney and Spalding, Lincolnshire.

Eastrington, near River Trent
If Eastrington is an area of interest, recently noticed a link to Staffordshire if the River Trent was navigable to Burton on Trent and Stoke on Trent (probably passes Newark on Trent, Notts), etc.

Hood of Staffordshire
The main (but modest) Hood families are linked with Brewing, Wine and Spirits Merchants and Boot/ Shoe making and Leather. Burton on Trent was a main Brewery town in England and that citation of Pte H. P. Hood went back to Staffordshire.

George Hood of Burslem / Tunstall, Staffs, Pottery maker. Not sure if I have two Hood here.

But 1841 Census (on FS) for Burslem, Staffs, seems to link Geo & Ann Hood to a Sarah Massey birth 1764 to 1768.

Nonconformists
William Lord Paget of Beaudesert Staffordshire and Paget descendants were apparently sympathetic to Nonconformists.

Selby Overseers of Poor
The Selby Overseers of the Poor elected in 1837 are just a list of names. Nothing more than I found for George Hood being elected, in the 1838 newspaper.

TNA, Kew, copies of MH 9/15 Selby Union [Poor] only the paid Staff.

Wells Hood
The wife of Wells Hood of York, nee Bower, known Nonconformists.

BBC Program
Program with some NC content and the 1689 Act of Toleration.

One of the Dr Williams Library Registers downloaded has some Hood of Windmill Hills, Gateshead in.

Nebo Chapel, Wales, researcher Dr Kate Williams and Kieran Long 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b037xy55

Appears, quite a break-away from C of E, beginning after 1700.

Families of Scottish / Irish descent were obviously not C of E.

East Riding Property
Interesting, East Riding property Registration might possibly help.

Cooke of Eastrington
That W. Hood on the John Cooke of Eastrington, 1798 Will outer, is the passed date, perhaps a Probate Registry Clerk?

Mark

Post altered & added to.
Addition: Occupation of William Massey of Selby, was given as 'Flax Dresser' in 1820.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: Friday 20 October 17 12:31 BST (UK) »
The Wills of William Massey & the Hutchinsons are not online, the earlier two are held by the Borthwick.

The W Massey involved with Wells Hood - his Will is online and possibly there may be a connection to Cook somewhere, his brother being a John Cook Massey.
Another William Massey Will online c1845 is for a man in Spalding Lincs. - possible relation to the Selby man ?

The marriage in Selby by Licence on 6 Dec. 1815 is indeed the marriage of William Masssey & Mary Proctor. Witnesses: Jn Fothergill & Jn Dickinson.

EDIT: Trivia: Between the years of 1778 when the Selby Canal opened and 1820 more people moved to Selby than at any other point in its history.

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: Friday 20 October 17 13:01 BST (UK) »
The Wills of William Massey & the Hutchinsons are not online, the earlier two are held by the Borthwick.

The W Massey involved with Wells Hood - his Will is online and possibly there may be a connection to Cook somewhere, his brother being a John Cook Massey.
Another William Massey Will online c1845 is for a man in Spalding Lincs. - possible relation to the Selby man ?

The marriage in Selby by Licence on 6 Dec. 1815 is indeed the marriage of William Masssey & Mary Proctor. Witnesses: Jn Fothergill & Jn Dickinson.

EDIT: Trivia: Between the years of 1778 when the Selby Canal opened and 1820 more people moved to Selby than at any other point in its history.

Thanks Claire

Quaker Quarterly Meeting of Yorkshire RG 6/1071

22nd of the Second Month 1792
Wm Waud of Bradford and Margaret Richardson of Gt Ayton, were married in Ayton.
* Copy at full length recorded in the Gisboro' Monthly Meeting.

Stamford Mercury 6 May 1825
Lately, at the Quaker's chapel in Spalding, Mr Hutchinson of Gedney, to Miss Massey, daughter of Wm. Massey, Esq. of the former place.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: Friday 20 October 17 13:08 BST (UK) »
Staffordshire Hood's or Gateshead or Hull

The occupation in doc's like PR's and censuses are just a brief account.

What we have got are 3 businesses with trade men's skills needed of a Cooper in brewing process,  master Brewer and a master Tanner. (Chemist of a sort ?)

George Hood d 1845 Selby his  skill(s) seems to be businessman of Brewing/Tanning - Barrels are part of the brewing process: charing the barrel and the long term storage of brewed liquid like whisky in a special barrel- Tanning leather hides in vats can take up to a year in a vat.

The master brewer of spirits had to be a part cooper for barrel upkeep because the barrel was part of the long term process of the wood oak colour and taste of the brew in a cask.

Colour and death of the tan of leather hides like needed for saddles in vats was the skill of the master in tanning. (Spirit and leather mix in the vats or barrel was the same skill needed).

This George Hood of Selby would make the businesses by storage of mixed ingredient chemical transfer wood taste/coluor or leather colour in tanning (dye to cloths (Dyer)) all chemists of their day.

Someone had to teach George these skills or to be a businessman in admin brought up around running a business over people trained in these skilled trades.

Example;- A Mill owner does not need the skill of a dyer but has to have enough knowledge to turn out his end product to a constant quality repeatable high standard.

In one newspaper death entry George Hood death 1845 Selby was either a very respected man or businessman or both

This is what George was about- not theories of what he might have been in or come from in root origins as status
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: Friday 20 October 17 16:06 BST (UK) »
Quaker wedding Williams surname was Waud. The full copy he signs as Waud, the short copy was written as Haud.

Plenty of Richardson witnesses, along with Tuke and Williamson.

No records bar the one baptism in Eastrington 1810 for Haud.

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: Friday 20 October 17 20:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm and Claire

No Haud in Quaker Members York Meeting [area] Index, only a Waud.

Oh, the Quaker Index is full of Richardsons 1790 - 1841 under the York Meeting area.

A = Admission into Membership
R = Reinstatement in Membership
C = Certificate
B = Birth
M = Marriage

--------

If George's origin is confirmed someday, it'll probably confirm his experience / training too.

Copy of the Wm Hood of Hull 1810 Will was despatched yesterday (2nd   :(  class).

Got many Hood Will summaries, plus Gibsons, but nothing.

Mark

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: Saturday 21 October 17 14:40 BST (UK) »

I already have the Abstract of the Wills, including William Hood, Gentleman, of Kingston upon Hull, February 1808, downloaded from TNA, Kew.

16th February 1808 under 300 l.
William Hood of the Town of Kingston upon Hull gent.
Thos Ashton of Kingston upon Hull afsd yeom & Edw'd Boldrom of same place cooper Exors.
Legatees
To Edw'd Boldrom, nepw 120 l.
To Wm Boldrom, do. ----- [nepw] 80 l & a silver pint.
To Eliz'th Ashton, niece, his best bed, sheets, blankets, quilt & furn. belon.g.
To sd Eliz'th Ashton & Edw'd Boldrom, niece and nepw The rems of his household goods, furn. & linen
Sev'l small bequests [relationship and description left blank]
To sd Thos Ashton & Edw'd Boldrom nep's. The Residue of his money sec.s for money goods chattels psnal est. & effects whats'r after paym't of his debts legs & fun'l expenses.

No other Hood, mentioned.

Mark

Hello

The William Hood of the Town of Kingston upon Hull Gentleman 1810 Will Proved L.C.C. is similar to above, but explains the several small bequests.

William Hood of the Town of Kingston upon Hull Gentleman ...
made and published this 4th July 1805 ...
I give and devise all that my Messuage or dwelling House situate in Edgar Street in the Town of Kingston upon Hull aforesaid now in my own occupation unto my Niece Elizabeth Ashton and my Nephews William Boldrom and Edward Boldrom their Heirs and Assigns ...
I give and bequeath unto the said Edward Boldrom the sum of One Hundred and twenty pounds I give and bequeath to the said William Boldrom the sum of Eighty pounds and a silver Pint I give to the said Elizabeth Ashton my best Bed with the sheets Blankets Quilt and Furniture belonging to it ...
I give all my wearing Apparel to Thomas Ashton and the said Thomas Boldrom equally I also give to tbe said Thomas Boldrom a silver Cream Jug  and half a Dozen silver spoons
I give and bequeath to the Overseers of the poor of WINTERTON in the County of Lincoln the sum of Fifty shillings and to the Overseers of the Poor of WINTRINGHAM in the same County the like sum of Fifty shillings ...
I bequeath all the residue of my Money securities for Money Goods Chattels personal Estate and Effects whatsover after payment of debts Legacies and funeral expenses unto the said Thomas Ashton and Edward Boldrom ...
Witnesses Geo Gale - John Miller - Wm Markham

A true Copy having been examined with the Probate Copy of the Will by us N [or R or A?] Fardell - John Haywoud

22d Day of May 1810 Thomas Ashton and Edward Boldrom the Executors within named were duly sworn and in[?] all Oath that the whole of the personal Estate of the deceased within the County of Lincoln does not amount in value to One Hundred Pounds.
Before me Matt'w Barnett ...

27 Was the duty paid upon the
above Prop'y at York -------
And Mr Galland of Hull the
Attorney in his Letter to me
on the 22d of May says the
Duty on the above property was
paid for at York.

Looks like this Hood or his family, perhaps also had links with WINTERTON and WINTRINGHAM, Mark