Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 159634 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #873 on: Friday 03 November 17 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thanks Claire.

Wren Lane, 1823, Valuation relating to the Poor's Rate

I felt William Hood mentioned in the 1836 Deed Memorial, was George Hood's Son baptised Selby 1816.

Any Will please, for "Mr Robert Richardson" mentioning him at Selby and other small owners besides Lord Petre?

I had assumed (apart from the earlier reference to Richard Gibson and Thomas Holliday occupying at the last Survey), that the description of those surrounding the boundaries of the property being conveyed in the 1836 Deed Memorial were current as at 1835/1836.

Wren Lane, 1823
p.14, David Briggs, 1824 now Hick - Butchers Shop &c. in Wren Lane, owner Honble Edw'd Petre
p.26, Thomas Day - House in Wren Lane, owner Hon: Edw'd Petre.
p.36, John Green - Workshop at Wren Lane and Carlton Lane Close, owner Hon: Edw'd Petre.
p.44, Geo Hood - House & c. in Wren Lane, owner Hon: Edw'd Petre.
p.56, Wm Morley - House in Wren Lane, owner Hon: Edw'd Petre.
p.56, Ben: Matthewman - House in Wren Lane, owner Hon: Edw'd Petre.
p.102, John Wilson - House in Wren Lane, owner Hon: Edw'd Petre.
p. ---, Wm Bateman - House and Smiths Shop in Wren Lane, owner Rob't Atkinson.
p. ---, Thos Bolton - House in Wren Lane, owner Sarah Bolton.
p. ---, In hand - Cottage in Wren Lane, owner Mary Raby.
p. ---, John Laverack - House in Wren Lane, owner Rob't Richardson.
p. ---, Rob't Archer - A Cottage in Wren Lane, owner Rob't Stephenson.

Added p.14 David Briggs / David Hick
            p.56 Ben: Matthewman

This is not a Manorial Rental, but the next best thing I can find before 1841.

Kind regards Mark

The North-western end of Wren Lane abutts Micklegate.
Regarding John Wilson in Wren Lane, a John Wilson occupies a Public House in Micklegate, owner Thos Castles.
Thos Castles also owns a House in Micklegate with Brewery and Malting occupied by John Singleton.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: Friday 03 November 17 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thanks Claire.

Wren Lane, 1823, Valuation relating to the Poor's Rate

I felt William Hood mentioned in the 1836 Deed Memorial, was George Hood's Son baptised Selby 1816.

Any Will please, for "Mr Robert Richardson" mentioning him at Selby and other small owners besides Lord Petre?

I had assumed (apart from the earlier reference to Richard Gibson and Thomas Holliday occupying at the last Survey), that the description of those surrounding the boundaries of the property being conveyed in the 1836 Deed Memorial were current as at 1835/1836.

Wren Lane, 1823
p.14, David Briggs, 1824 now Hick - Butchers Shop &c. in Wren Lane, owner Honble Edw'd Petre
p.26, Thomas Day - House in Wren Lane, owner Hon: Edw'd Petre.
p.36, John Green - Workshop at Wren Lane and Carlton Lane Close, owner Hon: Edw'd Petre.
p.44, Geo Hood - House & c. in Wren Lane, owner Hon: Edw'd Petre.
p.56, Wm Morley - House in Wren Lane, owner Hon: Edw'd Petre.
p.56, Ben: Matthewman - House in Wren Lane, owner Hon: Edw'd Petre.
p.102, John Wilson - House in Wren Lane, owner Hon: Edw'd Petre.
p. ---, Wm Bateman - House and Smiths Shop in Wren Lane, owner Rob't Atkinson.
p. ---, Thos Bolton - House in Wren Lane, owner Sarah Bolton.
p. ---, In hand - Cottage in Wren Lane, owner Mary Raby.
p. ---, John Laverack - House in Wren Lane, owner Rob't Richardson.
p. ---, Rob't Archer - A Cottage in Wren Lane, owner Rob't Stephenson.

Added p.14 David Briggs / David Hick
            p.56 Ben: Matthewman

This is not a Manorial Rental, but the next best thing I can find before 1841.

Kind regards Mark

The North-western end of Wren Lane abutts Micklegate.
Regarding John Wilson in Wren Lane, a John Wilson occupies a Public House in Micklegate, owner Thos Castles.
Thos Castles also owns a House in Micklegate with Brewery and Malting occupied by John Singleton.

Is this 1836 information from the official 1836 Deed Memorials ? held at Wakefield "Register of deed office" (Held at the New WYAS building Kirkgate Wakefield)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: Saturday 04 November 17 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello dobfarm

I have the 1836 Deed Registration Copy from Wakefield and no apparent family link to my George Hood.

George Hood's neighbours, were a William Hood (possibly his Son) and a Robert Richardson.

If anyone is going to Wakefield, I would like the two 1846 George Hood Deeds index reference numbers (Selby and Boroughbridge), please?

I have these official Deed Copies so far:-

Spencer To Hembrough (John Hood and Robert Nicholson OCCUPIERS only), Millgate, Selby, 1803, Vol. EN, p.314, No.423.

Woodcock & Ors To Hood (ex John Clark property), Gowthorpe, Year 1831, Volume KZ, Page 477, No. 448.

Clarkson To Hood  (occupied by George Hood & Henry Mitton), Wren Lane, Year 1833, Volume LO, page 212, No. 206.

Petre and Ors To Collinson (George Hood, Brewer), Ousegate, Year 1836, Volume ML, Page 36, No. 29.

Petre and Ors To Hood (occupier George Hood, Brewer), Wren Lane and Micklegate, Year 1836, Volume ML, Page 39, No. 31.

Collinson & Ors To Elly (George Hood), Ousegate, Year 1838, Volume ML, Page 46, No. 38.

Nicholson & Ors To Collinson, numerous properties on Ousegate, (George Hood, Brewer, is a party), Year 1838, Vol. NC, page 14, No. 14.
[Nicholson has been forced to sell by Orders in Chancery 1830 onward. Later Wm Hood is holding it on Trust under the Will of James Collinson and later Wm Hood of Selby Trustee orders the sale]

Brook to Hood (George Hood, Brewer), Gowthorpe, Year 1845, Volume PC, Page 657, No.645.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: Saturday 04 November 17 09:19 GMT (UK) »
The years of Richard Gibson occupancy of Petre property of Wren Lane Selby between his bankruptcy 1807 to George Hood appearing on Selby Land tax records 1812.

Who would be paying the rent on the Petre property to bring income between 1807 to 1812 on the Wren lane Petre property or the time R Gibson was in London.

Questions arising :

Would R Gibson been evicted

Would there be mention of R Gibson bankruptcy in the deeds

There could have been some paperwork- Solicitors or courts with Petre ~ somewhere over the Gibson bankruptcy.

Just a thought!
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: Saturday 04 November 17 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

George Hood's property was described on one side of Wren Lane and Wm Hood's seems to be on other side.

Most of the Bankruptcy Commissions under the Lord Chancellor (incl Gibson's) were destroyed.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2755

The National Archives, Reference B 3
Dates 1753 to 1854
The series is a small sample only of the vast numbers of bankruptcy files. It is not known how the sample was constructed.

These surviving files contain examinations of bankrupts, lists of creditors drawn up in response to advertisement in the London Gazette, depositions, etc. but can vary in size from a single sheet to multiple volumes.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: Saturday 04 November 17 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Basically what type of coopers were R Gibson/G Hood

A common cooper who made barrels or repaired them
or (both - ? trades as one cooper/brewer/spirit trader business)
A Wine cooper,

Definition:~ Noun
wine cooper (plural wine coopers)
a person who samples, bottles and sells wine

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wine_cooper

Beer/wine/spirits Cooper who looks after barrel prep, barrel and bottle storage (daily turning)

1800 R Gibson advertised for a full trained cooper therefore could have had a worker or workers 1807 at bankruptcy and if he was storing various alcohols as stock and trade (this would fit G Hood later brewer)

Petre on his property would a have a big problem with Gibson's maturing alcohols as stock and trade (Part of the Bankruptcy value in Courts) and no income of rent on the property.

Common-sense suggests ~ Rich Petre's solicitors working overtime

Did Petre Doc's survive ( possible)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: Saturday 04 November 17 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

There is no detail about Cooperage, or if George Hood was even a businessman Cooper.

William Massey and Jonathan Hutchinson, Merchants of Selby were parties in the "Petre and Ors To Hood", Wren Lane acquisition.

Parties Edward White Gentleman and Charles Henry Pigot of Gt Marlborough St Gentleman, were the Solicitors and acting for the Lords of the Manor. William White of No. 108 Cheapside City of London for Edward Robert Petre.

William Massey of Selby died 1843, so ordered his Probate Bundle (Will).

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: Saturday 04 November 17 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Though I'm going to look at the deeds index Wakefield next spring or warmer weather

I think a visit to Wakefield by you sometime would be best (staff usually given good free advise), as they have allsorts of doc's in listed & unlisted and also look at the actual deeds registers. Plenty of cheap B & B or travel lodge deals or similar firms in autumn/winter months against cost of paying for doc's to be sent to you that can be of no real value till after you have paid, attained & seen them. ???

Overnight coach deal -some online as little as a £1 & over 60's 1/3 off dicounts.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: Saturday 04 November 17 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi dobfarm

We'll try Wakefield and the Brynmoor Jones and/or History Centre.

Some later Hood of Selby Copyhold 1840s amongst the Manor Court Rolls.

Mark