Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 159626 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #900 on: Sunday 26 November 17 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Keeping with this theme of nonconformists dissidents

Its clear John Hood was in land tax records as lived in Selby 1770's to 1819 burial, yet his name does not come up in any parish books those years, overseers relief money collected in from parishioners of the parish also if was to poor to give, their names was still stated, but as as too poor to give with 0 collected, and  constables payments or churchwarden accounts-no John Hood. As John Hood was buried in Selby Abbey register rules out Quaker as they had their own burial ground, so other dominations of nonconformity is likely. Unless John Hood was a mariner, using Selby as a stop over port at the other end of a regular ship route from his own port parish/ denomination of Nonconformity port town (probably Scarborough or Gateshead/Newcastle or Hull) would/could also explain him not been mentioned in Selby parish administration books.(Not to be confused with parish registers)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: Sunday 26 November 17 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

The nearest I think I could find was a Jno Head in the Selby Parish records, but I don't have all the Selby Land Tax images for each year to see if a Head also appears there, indicating Hood and Head were separate surnames.

But HEAD might not appear anyway in the Land Tax, as some Occupiers are not listed in the multiple Tenements, or multiple occupancy residences. Also some properties were subject to other Tithe and old Manor Rents and Levies, separate to Land Tax. At some point you could even pay to have the property removed from Land Tax.

For example our old village Pub was subject to a Fee Farm Rent and a then a Quit Rent for a period of years from the date of Sale, when it was sold off, by Tomkinson, one of the Lords of the Manor. The Pub Occupiers and Licensees don't appear in our Parish or Township Land Tax, despite other Tomkinson Tenants being listed. A magazine of the 1930s says our Pub The Plough Inn of Stockingford was called an Ancient Hostelry. Before 1813 it was known by the Sign of the Holly Bush.

I am desperate for a window of improvement, so that we can visit some Archives.

Yes, John Hood of Scarborough (later of Selby, Mariner) appears to have lost every child baptised (Parish Baptisms) except Maudland who was also Parish baptised.

John Hood might have thought, it's time to change faith, or perhaps his Wife Elizabeth Hood (nee Spencer) was behind the Baptisms him being away at Sea, and John Hood was always a Protestant. There was also many many NC Chapels including Presbyterian in Scarborough (see also Colin Hinson's information online with photos).

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/NRY/Scarborough#Churches

Scarborough Presbyterian accounts and papers back to 1725
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/N13976323

If they had their own Selby protestant Chapel to finance, they wouldn't want to pay Church Rates, or Parish charges.

However, the Land Tax was by Parliamentary Act and if your property was subject to the Tax, the Occupier and/or the Owner had to pay it.

Mark

Added:
The 1803 Transfer Registration (from the Wakefield Registry) from John Spencer, Gent of Selby, indicates John Hood and Robert Nicholson (1802) were Occupying a House divided into two Tenements in Millgate, Selby.

Hood is not listed in Mountain's 1800 which only lists Principal Inhabitants (Gentry / posh) of Selby, but John Hood's property has a Garden or Orchard, so not your hovel or one or two room residence tucked away off an alley Court (High density housing).

This suggests John Hood the Mariner was not wealthy, but comfortable off, hence living to 82 years of age.

Selby was on the main sailing route to London, with Ship Building Yards. Possibly John Hood moved to Selby to take advantage of the Canals and some fellow Merchants were also Dissenters and Quakers (probably accounts for the Quaker Wedding Witness at Charles Turner and Maudland HOOD's Marriage), besides C of E Merchants. Although the Parish Church buried nearly everybody, of whatever faith.

Dissenting education was usually good, because their followers could not usually get Parish Church Dole money, they needed their followers to be able to support themselves and they were looking for the future Ministers able to speak at Meetings. I have discovered that Dissenting Ministers also went to University or their Training Academies, so Dissenting education and Teaching was and is not to be sniffed at, as second rate.

One site online claims there was a Ship Builder at Selby, that they don't know the name of.

I am hoping to go to Wakefield and look through them Property Indexes at associated surnames.

Thank you, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: Sunday 26 November 17 13:07 GMT (UK) »
I agree with what you say, but I have to say again John Hood was in Selby Land Tax record and also rented property you mention also agree that not all people in a household would be mentioned in the Land tax monies collection record book.

With financial parish monies collection income book for money to pay the poor by the overseer of Selby parish from C of E parishioners - Unlike land tax- Every parishioner male, some widows is mentioned of full age by stated name even if they were too poor to pay-Their name is mentioned Example : Joe Blogg being poor paid 0.00

Yet John Hood is not mentioned as a parishioner of Selby parish C of E in the overseers, constables or church wardens collection monies books

Therefore a Selby dissident or from another parish if C of E

Selby Navigation company name pops up in then book links I posted _ Was they a Ship buildering company or canal builders.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: Sunday 26 November 17 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

That point you make about John Hood of Selby, Mariner [ex Scarborough married to Widow Elizabeth Leppington, nee Spencer, first], with a possible second Parish [residence] somewhere is a feasible one.

We found 4 or 5 John Hoods linked to Scarborough (in Marriages), four Mariners and likely sailing out of Scarborough 18th Century.

This could likely account for him meeting Jane (buried as Jane Hood, 1803 at Selby).

We looked separately around Selby Abbey Churchyard, but no grave.

We'll come to Yorkshire again, I've got a few things to check at Northallerton, Wakefield, Beverley, Pearson Papers at Doncaster etc., and the Manor records to finish off.

Some HOODs at Scarborough must show up in East Riding Property Deed Registrations at Beverley, even if they only occupied Wharfs and property. The 18th Century Scarborough HOOD and SPENCER Wills (York Registries) don't help.

There is possibly a HOOD Scarborough to Tynemouth / Shields connection too and to London and Inverness.  Gateshead was also on the South Shore of the Tyne and sheltered, from the sea. Also a Master called John Hood from Inverness was at the Quayside, whilst the Mary of Inverness, vessel was up for sale.

The JOHN HOOD 1778 with William BROOKE, Agent at Selby was sailing to PERKINS and ROBINSON Gun and Shot Wharfe, Southwark, London. If the Selby Quakers knew my mystery George Hood had this background, with contacts and saw his moderate success, they'd be interested in like minded business people.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731922.msg5769089#msg5769089

The Wm Hood of Bristol was a Merchant and I suspect the Quakers were all over him too. No Will, but there is an Admin in the Bristol Court, which the Archives hold on film, but not listed on their web site.

Thinking my George HOOD - "NOT IN MEMBERSHIP" burial and that of most of his family is a kind of thank you, from the Quakers.

I have come across a reference that Quakers could team up with a Non-Quaker if it furthered their own businesses and for income generating which ultimately benefitted their Meetings and Meeting places too. I am quite surprised, I always thought of them as introverted. Also Quakers didn't like Members who went bankrupt due to foolishness. Seems Quakers rescued some of their own too.

Sarah Russell (who appears to have a humble descent) had some influential and moderately successful and successful town contacts through that Selby Ship Yard. Got a feeling her so called Labourer ancestry was more of a Farming ancestry. A Russell was farming the nearby Manor, when the trees were offered for sale about 1810 ish.

Thomas Gouldsbrough's Will, reply 8 & 9
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=770770.msg6236112#msg6236112

In the 1830s two Selby Bankers (who drew against London Banks) went bust, plus the Nicholson v. Nicholson case and Lord Petre putting a huge amount of property on the market in 1835, I think the businessmen of Selby put together a package, to stop the bottom falling out of the property and also acquire a property at a reasonable price, this would slow up a recession.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: Sunday 26 November 17 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Bottom line

Was George Hood 1785/7 in the missing Presbyterian birth 1707 to 1796 and John Hood not paying to Selby Parish poor relief = could have been Presbyterian 1778ish to 1819 Selby father of George and just possible Jane Hood buried 1803 Selby George's mother

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: Sunday 26 November 17 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Bottom line

Was George Hood 1785/7 in the missing Presbyterian birth 1707 to 1796 and John Hood not paying to Selby Parish poor relief = could have been Presbyterian 1778ish to 1819 Selby father of George and just possible Jane Hood buried 1803 Selby George's mother

Early Selby Churches and Chapels (Mountain 1800)

Selby Abbey Church

Presbyterian Chapel, Millgate, rebuilt about the year 1690.
Quaker Meeting House, Gowthorp, errected about the year 1784.
Methodist Meeting House in Millgate, errected about the year 1785.

About 1780s
Catholics Meeting in the Steward's House of the Manor of Selby.

According to Mountain's book there is also the possibility of George being Methodist - No early records (at TNA)

"Mrs Beatrix Bacon in 1690 devised land in the Parishes of Thorpe and Brayton, the income from which has formed the endowment for the Presbyterian Chapel in Millgate ever since that date. About that time they intermarried with another Selby family named Morritt. Bacon Morritt died in 1751, and his namesake and successor in 1775. The two families were, perhaps, the most influential in the town in their day. The Morritts became large landowners at Cawood and Ryther. Mr. Bacon Morritt was also the owner of the Manor of Bowthorpe, in the Parish of Hemingbrough, and devised £5,000 each to his five Daughters. The sisters lived at York, and were famous for their skill in needlework and their quaint dress and manners. For Anne Eliza, who was buried at Selby in 1797, the poet Mason wrote a poetical epitaph, in which he praises the skill of her pencil. Their nephew, the best-known representative of the family, was John Bacon Sawrey Morritt of Rokeby, the friend and correspondent of Sir Walter Scott, to whom his poem of 'Rokeby' is inscribed."

Also mentioned in the attachment was John Foster of The Quay, Selby, Merchant, also a Merchant, Ship Builder in Ousegate and brewer, occupying the Brewery in Abbey Kiln.

Part of the article attached here ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6287970#msg6287970

Presbyterian ...
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ph_egRfH50IC&pg=PA231&lpg=PA231&dq=Selby+Presbyterian+rebuilt&source=bl&ots=k4bRsQWL-D&sig=ASr7zjan01qz7328EynTB7XEgZ4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiuoJv449zXAhXlAsAKHfmYAbwQ6AEIIzAC

Google result, can't access and check source ...
Mr. Wesley's Visits to Selby, A.D. 1759 and 1788.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: Sunday 26 November 17 19:30 GMT (UK) »
John Hood & Jane

The Gael form of the name JANE, is Shena.

Gael, an Ethnic Group in Scotland; Ireland and the Isle of Man.

Jane also Joan / Joanna / Jehane / Janey.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: Sunday 26 November 17 21:47 GMT (UK) »
John Hood & Jane

The Gael form of the name JANE, is Shena.

Gael, an Ethnic Group in Scotland; Ireland and the Isle of Man.

Jane also Joan / Joanna / Jehane / Janey.

Mark

Jenet   fem.   Jennet Gennet Iennet   Diminutives of Jane or Jean sometimes used independently

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~oel/givennames2.html

Gane Lane Layne Jayne La'net Ja'net

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile