Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 159893 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #144 on: Sunday 19 February 17 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Dickinson ~ Quakers

Herbert Camm Dickinson was born a Quaker 1820 to a Richard and Ann D, father looks like he was a Tanner.

QUAKER MARRIAGES

On 23 May 1816 Richard Dickinson of Highflatts in Danby, tanner, son of Elisha, tanner and Sarah his wife.. and ANN CAMM daughter of Herbert Camm of the city of York  and Margaret his wife.

Witnesses: Joseph Woods ~clothier of Newhouse, John Rothwell ~ dyer of Manchester and Joseph Firth of Shepleylanehead ~ farmer.

Her father Herbert Camm married Margaret ESTHILL at Spalding, Wainfleet ~ date 17 Feb 1791

She was the widow of JONATHAN ESTHILL a mariner of Scarborough.
Relations present at the marriage: Thomas Proctor Jnr, Eliz. Proctor, William and John Massey and a family by the name of Theaker.

Johnathon Esthill,  master mariner of son of Ingram Esthill ( yeoman Deceased of Stainton Dale) and Elizabeth married MARGARET PROCTOR daughter of THOMAS PROCTOR of SELBY flaxdresser and Mary ( nee THEAKER) his wife. ~ date 5 Jan 1781
A Wm PEACOCK witnesses, relations by surname present ~ Proctor,  Esthill, Priestman, Belton, Cross, Fox, Dearman and Cross.

When Johnathon Esthills sisters Elizabeth and Martha married in 1777 Scarborough, one of the witnesses was a JOHN HOOD ( Elizabeth Esthill mar Edmund Bolton, Martha Esthill mar. Benjamin Peacock)

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Sunday 19 February 17 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Dickinson ~ Quakers

Herbert Camm Dickinson was born a Quaker 1820 to a Richard and Ann D, father looks like he was a Tanner.

QUAKER MARRIAGES

On 23 May 1816 Richard Dickinson of Highflatts in Danby, tanner, son of Elisha, tanner and Sarah his wife.. and ANN CAMM daughter of Herbert Camm of the city of York  and Margaret his wife.

Witnesses: Joseph Woods ~clothier of Newhouse, John Rothwell ~ dyer of Manchester and Joseph Firth of Shepleylanehead ~ farmer.

Her father Herbert Camm married Margaret ESTHILL at Spalding, Wainfleet ~ date 17 Feb 1791

She was the widow of JONATHAN ESTHILL a mariner of Scarborough.
Relations present at the marriage: Thomas Proctor Jnr, Eliz. Proctor, William and John Massey and a family by the name of Theaker.

Johnathon Esthill,  master mariner of son of Ingram Esthill ( yeoman Deceased of Stainton Dale) and Elizabeth married MARGARET PROCTOR daughter of THOMAS PROCTOR of SELBY flaxdresser and Mary ( nee THEAKER) his wife. ~ date 5 Jan 1781
A Wm PEACOCK witnesses, relations by surname present ~ Proctor,  Esthill, Priestman, Belton, Cross, Fox, Dearman and Cross.

When Johnathon Esthills sisters Elizabeth and Martha married in 1777 Scarborough, one of the witnesses was a JOHN HOOD ( Elizabeth Esthill mar Edmund Bolton, Martha Esthill mar. Benjamin Peacock)

claire

Hello All

Thank you Claire.

"When Johnathon Esthills sisters Elizabeth and Martha married in 1777 Scarborough, one of the witnesses was a JOHN HOOD ( Elizabeth Esthill mar Edmund Bolton, Martha Esthill mar. Benjamin Peacock)"

With a George Esthill Peacock mentioned (newspaper snippet relating to Procter Case in Chancery), Esthill and Peacock, I thought they have got to be linked to each other.

This is fantastic research! This might help me trace my Hood lineage, if the unknown ?? Peacock in the Will of Jane Hood's (nee Casson), is somehow linked on the Hood side.

Got a Priestman (I think) in my Hood Will notes.

Some Cooks and Pearsons were Quakers too.

Jonathan Hutchinson, the Arbitrator in George Hood's Will was linked by marriage to a Procter daughter. One Hutchinson originally came from Gedney.

The Hutchinson Museum have unsually mentioned without prompting, that Thomas Procter was the richest man in Selby. Also an Uncle Procter of , but had no information on my George Hood.

Although Maudland Turner (nee Hood) lived at Selby, I've been wondering if George Hood came to/stayed at Selby to keep an eye on the elderly John Hood, possibly a Great Uncle or other relative.

My Geo Hood seems to have links with many people and respected by them, but never mentioned by them, as though he was someone's illegitimate boy.

As well as two Dickinsons late Father and son, a          Massey is mentioned in a George Hood property registration, anything on him please?

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Sunday 19 February 17 21:39 GMT (UK) »

William Massey of Spalding, Lincs son of John Massey of the same place and Elizabeth his wife married Sarah PROCTOR daughter of Thomas PROCTOR of SELBY and Mary his wife. Date: 08 Jul 1785 at York

Relations by surname Priestman, Proctor, Belton, Tuke

John Massey, father of the above of Spalding yeoman married Elizabeth Newbold of Leeds, widow on 26 Oct. 1758

Relations : HIRD ( quite a few witnesses by this name too) , Westgarth, English, Horner

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Sunday 19 February 17 22:22 GMT (UK) »

William Massey of Spalding, Lincs son of John Massey of the same place and Elizabeth his wife married Sarah PROCTOR daughter of Thomas PROCTOR of SELBY and Mary his wife. Date: 08 Jul 1785 at York

Relations by surname Priestman, Proctor, Belton, Tuke

John Massey, father of the above of Spalding yeoman married Elizabeth Newbold of Leeds, widow on 26 Oct. 1758

Relations : HIRD ( quite a few witnesses by this name too) , Westgarth, English, Horner

Thank you, Massey interesting too.

No evidence or knowledge that we were originally called Hird and witness names make no sense either.

However, the Procters of Selby do show up in the HIRD COLLECTION of YARM collection at Teeside Archives ...
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/46014487-c0da-470c-890a-3c9291bb971a

Attested copy of lease and release from Thomas Fawell of Yarm esq, Jane Procter, Barbara Procter, Hannah Procter, and Elizabeth Procter, all of Selby, spinsters, to William Sayer of Middleton upon Leven of a messuage, on the east row of Yarm, divided into two dwellinghouses, a garden, or parcel of ground on the east and backside of the messuage, a yard and garden adjoining this, granaries, warehouse, other buildings in the yard and a quay, and assignment of four terms of 500 years, 500 years, 2000 years and 1000 years
12th and 13th May 1847.
U/HD/38

DDGU/1/51, 1846 - East Riding Archives
Copy Will of William Proctor of Selby, Esquire
Bequests: wife; nephew Jonathan Hutchinson and wife Elizabeth; sister Elizabeth Procter; etc Property: Selby, Great Ayton, Summercroft, parish Drax, Dacre cum Beverley, Brayton, Wistow, Riccall, Hillam, Haddlesey, Burn, Osgodby, Gunby, Bubwith, etc with codicils (1849-1854)

Procter Wills not seen, but according to Summary (above) Procter must have had numerous and many contacts all over the place, so chasing Hird, may not be too productive, I don't know.

If George Hood was illegitimate, his birth might be tucked away amongst Meeting records in Archives, rather than in the Quaker TNA RG 6 Registers online, on Anc., provided his father or a mother was a Quaker.

Think ?? Peacock, is the surname to chase, especially if the estate came via the Hood side to William and Jane Hood of Selby? (Probably, no good if via a Cassons link), but Jane Hood's Will does not explain.

Don't know how Cook and Pearson fit in either, both surnames are known to have Quakers in their families.
Some Cooks at Selby under the York Monthly Meeting were definitely Quakers.

We went to Spalding Tulip fields when I was a boy of about 8 or 9, sure Grandma Hood was with us (in my father's slides, not shown for a long time), got some feeling in the distant part of my mind, that on one trip (possibly this one), Grandma Hood went off to look inside a church, but my father did not want to bother. I'll ask him about it.

Could of been one of my Grandfather's RAF colleagues killed in an air crash, or anything.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Monday 20 February 17 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Quakers Balby Monthly Meeting

1787 Marriage of
James Backhouse of Darlington and Mary Dearman of Thorne

Relations

PROCTERS AND
ELIZA HORD

Thank you all, for your help to date.

An Eliza Hord - Proctor link, or via the newly weds?

Regards Mark

Can't find no Pearson link yet, despite Quakers with that surname.

For Mordecai Hord Casson ...
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl#q=%22Mordecai+Hord+Casson%22

But a COCKIN and HORD alias HOOD link too ... See also dobfarm's Reply #1 of thread Descendants of the Late Jane Casson Hood ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=744970.1
Reference to Hord / Hood and a John Cockin the Apprentice.

According to a claim in a book recently published about Quakers, the author makes the claim that it was not unusual for the families to be linked again later.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Monday 20 February 17 11:20 GMT (UK) »
That's a good find. Found a George Peacock Will on Anc* last night. He was from the Barnard Castle area, leaving bequests to a AWDE family.

HORD - AWDE

Bit late for your George, off the top of my head I think it was dated 1855 but maybe worth a look

EDIT: dobfarm did we ever find out what happened to the 1783 Quaker baptism of 'George HEAD' father Joseph, mother Hannah. The witness was a Mary HOOD?

Claire

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Monday 20 February 17 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Only the George Head baptism is on an image on one of Mark's numerous threads somewhere on this website.

A picture is forming though ! ~ how these Quakers moved around the country like a ' Queen on a chessboard ' and would fit, why some of George's sibling children, got married away far from the Selby area. There seems a same/similar pattern of one of the wedding couple migration in a marriage union in some direct & indirect marriages (marriage union mentioned relating in other matters, in Quaker records/Wills/newspaper articles or the like) of Quakers thats come up recently in last few pages of this thread. (an interesting concept train of thought)

CoE or Nonconformist ministers marriages or Quaker weddings
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Monday 20 February 17 13:37 GMT (UK) »
I like your train of thought dobfarm, it's certainly interesting the Hood children followed the same trend.

Quaker marriages:

On the 3rd December 1795 Henry CASSON of Myton Township in the town of Kingston upon Hull, miller, son of Mordecai Casson of Thorne, currier and leather cutter and Sarah his wife deceased,.... and Elizabeth HORD daughter of Jeremiah HORD mariner of Kingston upon Hull and Elizabeth his wife.
Witnessed by
John Belton
Mord. Casson
Edward West

At Owstwick 11Feb 1767

Jeremiah HORD son of John and Hannah, both deceased,  married Elizabeth THORP daughter of Wm Thorp deceased late of Berwick and Elizabeth his wife.

Witnesses by surname : Smith , Foster, Stickney, Saunderson, Anderson, Wade, Jackson, Pinder, Mair, Hagit and a Peter HORD

Can't as yet see a link with Dearman or Backhouse.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Monday 20 February 17 21:45 GMT (UK) »
It does say Eliza' Hord and not Elija' I presume. But Hord is a relative and so are the Proctors at the 1785 James Backhouse = Mary Dearman Wedding, above.

I'm wondering if a Cockin has got Elizabeth Hord pregnant and she has subsequently married Henry Casson in 1795. Elizabeth Hord looks a nice writer too. Also James Cookin / Cockin on George Hood's 1815 Marriage entry, Dickinson possibly related too.

dobfarm that 1796 Apprenticeship is most interesting of John Cockin, with Casson the Master.

J. Newby was an Editor of the Society of Friends - The Annual Monitor.

A few Hirsts are Quakers. A Samuel Hirst of Kellington acquainted with a George Hood in the early 1830s. A Hirst also at Charles Hood's residence (born Selby) in a Census.

Quite a few Dickinsons and Clarks are Quakers and also those surnames appear in George Hood's property transactions.

George Hood of Selby appointed Jonathan Hutchinson as Arbitrator and Umpire in his Will and Goughy said last year that Hutchinson was a Quaker, but these things take time to build up a little evidence.

In June 1792 Jonathan Hutchinson of Gedney in the County of Lincoln Grazier married Rachel Procter daughter of Thomas Procter of Selby in the County of York Flaxdresser and Mary his Wife.
Thomas Backhouse Registrar to the York Quarterley Meeting.

A William Hord Bankrupt at York 1803, looks like he is about to be discharged from Bankruptcy, but no file it seems. Perhaps George Hood was related and that is why George was ultra cautious over his Will, appointing an Arbitrator and Umpire and signing the bottom of each page of his Will.

Got back to a John Hord burial of 1719, if Eliza Hord is relevant. Looks like I shall have to go and see the Quaker records, or find George Hood's grave in a Quaker Cemetery anyway, to see if any reference to George Hood being illegitimate, or a link.

Plenty of Peacocks were Quakers and "my Uncle Peacocks estate" was mentioned in Jane Hood's Will proved Wakefield 19th June 1894 by Edwin Hood and Marion Scaum two of Jane Hood's children.
Jane Hood, nee Casson was born Yorkshire, Thorne, about 1818 (aged 43 in the 1861 Selby Census).
William Hood (Jane's husband) was baptised Selby 1816 (Son of the unknown George Hood).

Who was Uncle Peacock please? 

Plenty of Pearson / Peirson Quakers.

Regards Mark

PS: Always thought this was interesting, be most interested to see more about these papers?

http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/casson/285/

... As for Edwin's forebears, by chance, I was in contact some years ago with an American Casson descendant (still called Casson, but not a descendant of Edwin's), who had been given an archive of materials put together by one Jane Casson Hood in 1888 in England. Those records tend to confirm my research that Edwin's father was Benjamin Casson, who was the third child of Mordecai Casson and Sarah (nee Curtis).
 As for the coat of arms, I am none the wiser. Our family story has it that Edwin had a carriage with a coat of arms on the door, being a castle with a bird flying from it. The associated motto was "I follow flying".I have also researched coats of arms and see the similarity to/derivation from? that of the Cassons of Ffestiniog. My great great grandmother kept a cravat (said to be Edwin's) that had the Casson crest on it. It was deliberately burned - along with diaries - by a relative who was not fond of family history! I still don't know whether Edwin had some entitlement to use the crest, or what the connection might be to those Casson families.
 I'm sorry to have missed the "Casson family silver" on the web. We have nothing of that sort, but feel lucky to have a decanter said to have been Edwin's and a small portrait of him.
 Am interested to hear about the Lyster connection ... .

... town of Thorne (where many Cassons lived).

Note: The Crest is a castellated "Tower" according to a description. Pity the writer does not qualify which Edwin, as William Hood of Selby bapt.1816; d.1870 (son of George Hood of Selby) had a son called Edwin Hood (alias Edwin Casson Hood).