Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 159669 times)

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #540 on: Thursday 29 June 17 15:10 BST (UK) »
Thomas Newham who was in partnership with James Hood was a butcher on his marriage cert. - butcher & dairyman in all the census.

Would a butcher have a sideline making candles ? Possibly a silent partner.

Or is the other Thomas Newham the man we want - although he was a shipowner and land agent in census.

Keep in mind Francis Hood of Pontefract (Knottingley)

Also George Hood apprentice indenture a butcher
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: Thursday 29 June 17 17:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replies

Apprentice George Hood, the Butcher (Morpeth), went on to become a Grocer and Innkeeper at Morpeth.

Newcastle Guardian and Tyne Mercury, 15 April 1848 ...
At Morpeth on the 8th inst., aged 68, much respected, Mr George Hood.

His house was called Percy Court, he had an Inn called The Lord Hood and also Percy Cottage, Morpeth.

His Apprenticeship listing in IR 1 Tax paid on Apprentices (TNA, Kew) was with a Butcher, but he became a Grocer and Innkeeper.

EDIT
With Percy Court and Lord Hood, I wouldn't be surprised if Hood of Morpeth was linked to Henry Percy Earl of Northumberland?

--------

Having said that, some Victuallers, were both the village Butcher and Publican.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: Thursday 29 June 17 21:54 BST (UK) »
For the purpose of elimination here's some surnames from Sarah's parentage (including step father Wilkinson)

Arundel - Grandparents:            George ARUNDEL and Hannah EYRE
               Grt grandparents:      Joseph EYRE and Hannah PYGOT
                                               Mathew ARUNDEL and Ann JACKSON

Wilkinson   "step" grandparents  Edward WILKINSON and Margaret TWIST
                    "gt  grandparents  John TWIST and Rebecca CRABTREE
                                                William WILKINSON and Jane ??

and just to put James' parentage here for future reference (obviously only from the Russell side)

Russell     Grandparents            William RUSSELL and Mary BURTON
               Gt grandparents         John RUSSELL and Martha HOTCHSON
                                              Edward BURTON and William SILVERWOOD

From Part 3 of the George Hood Burial where? ...  thread (now completed)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=742806.msg5964598#msg5964598

Quote from Goughy Reply #174 of 08 November 2015

Hi Mark

I thought it would be useful to just put down James and Sarah's  family for "tracking purposes"

Mary Ellen Hood b Selby 1853
Elizabeth Cook Hood b Selby 1854
Adeline Hood b Selby 1855
Sarah Hood b Selby 1856
John Wilkinson Hood b Selby 1858
William Russell Hood b Selby 1861
  [born 1860, registered 1861]
James Alfred Hood b Sunderland  1863
George Arundel Hood b 1865 Selby
Bernard Pearson Hood b 1870 Scarborough

In the 1871 Census, Mary Ellen Hood is staying with a Dobson family in Bowling, Bradford and is stated as "cousin".  The head of household is Thomas Duckworth Dobson b 1829 Wakefield  and his wife Mary Ann b 1833 London, Middlesex.  Thomas Duckworth Dobson married Mary Ann Bateman in 1855 in Selby.

END of QUOTE
 -------------------

Hello

First of all I am very sorry, for dropping 'Mary Ellen Hood' from the list of James and Sarah Hood's children because ...

I've just noticed ELLEN was a surname and George Hood's Mother could also be:- nee ELLEN, or Miss [something] ELLEN.

Mary Ellen Hood's 1873 marriage notice is attached.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: Thursday 29 June 17 23:26 BST (UK) »

Can anyone find anything on this couple - here is a transcript of a Faculty Office marriage licence, no town, county anything just the date and names

I can't find a marriage but wondered if there was an error with the grooms surname

Date of Licence: 7 Aug 1779

Mary ELLEN and William WOOD
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: Friday 30 June 17 00:06 BST (UK) »

Can anyone find anything on this couple - here is a transcript of a Faculty Office marriage licence, no town, county anything just the date and names

I can't find a marriage but wondered if there was an error with the grooms surname

Hi Claire

Thanks.

No town or County, sounds like the Faculty Office of the Archbishop of Canterbury, currently at Westminster.

1533 Ecclesiastical Licences Act, created the Court of Faculties, with a Judge presiding over it and administered by the Archbishop's comissarye.

Any reference number, record series, please?

Possibly a Special Marriage Licence.

I'll contact Lambeth Palace Archives, can you email me a screen print please?

If it is Hood, perhaps this might explain George Hood's odd Non-Quaker, Quaker burial?

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: Friday 30 June 17 00:12 BST (UK) »

Most of these Faculty Licences - marriages took place in London, but can't see anything in London or anywhere.

Will email on  :)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: Friday 30 June 17 01:57 BST (UK) »
Backtracking to John Hood - Ballast Hills, and Adam Hood etc.

Adam Hoods parents: James Hood and Isabella YOUNG

Baptism at Newcastle upon Tyne, St Nicholas. 13 July 1820 - Robert CANT Hood - son of John Hood and Barbara

Wonder if this is their marriage given the name of the witnesses : Hull 23 August 1809

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: Friday 30 June 17 10:08 BST (UK) »
Faculty Office

If one party to a marriage lived in the Province of York and the other in that of Canterbury then a license to marry could legitimately be obtained only from the Master of Faculties of the Archbishop of Canterbury. The licenses issued by the Faculty Office are at Lambeth Palace Library.

Wherever the dividing border was between York and Canterbury (Derby area ? maybe)
either parties could live just either side of the border or the far extremities or one near the border and other at the far extremity.

https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Marriage_Allegations,_Bonds_and_Licences_in_England_and_Wales
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: Friday 30 June 17 10:12 BST (UK) »

No town or County, sounds like the Faculty Office of the Archbishop of Canterbury, currently at Westminster.

1533 Ecclesiastical Licences Act, created the Court of Faculties, with a Judge presiding over it and administered by the Archbishop's comissarye.

Hi

I'm picking this up as I go along, but my Father knew someone who wanted to get married in an unregistered building and the two options were:-
a) Register the building for Marriages or
b) Apply for a Special Marriage Licence

A duly authorised Registrar of the State also had to be present.

--------

Vicar General and Faculty Office Marriage Licence

Apart from the originals held by the Archives of the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Society of Genealogists (SoG) have them on microfilm. Find my Past entered into an agreement with the SoG.

The Faculty Office and Faculty Court stems from an Act, when Henry VIII fell out with the Pope and Rome, and the Pope lost his administrative authority here.

I am wondering if some were issued for Roman Catholic Marriages.

--------

I think dobfarm has mentioned previously that some Births* were just on slips of paper kept in a tin or box. [* edited to Births]

Families had their own Chapels like Hood of Bardon Park, Leicestershire. Other families had a Chapel room in their own house and some records are hard to find.

Not everyone believed in baptism at birth. The Quakers only have baby BIRTH records.

Dartington Hall, Devon and Walton Hall, Wellesbourne are two more examples that had a Chapel. Dartington Hall Churchyard has quite a few headstones of varying names.

--------

Claire, did you also search the surname ELLEN and HOOD surnames only?

Some family naming sequences don't always use the forename and surname together.

Thank you all for your help and ideas, when stuck for so long, I appreciate all the suggestions.

Regards Mark

EDIT: Thanks dobfarm