Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 159696 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #693 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hello

Claire, the 1945 letter written by J. W. Chapman of Doncaster and Scarborough deals mainly with James Hood's children, then on page 2 refers to a mystery WINIFRED HOOD who did not marry.

Page 1 of the 1945 Letter basically says:-

Nellie Hood married my Uncle Arthur Chapman, [so this was Mary Ellen Hood in 1873]

Elizabeth Hood married J. B. Sugars. [Elizabeth Cook Hood]

Adeline Hood married a Mr Featherstone. [Married 1885]

Sally Hood, married, died about 20 years ago and was buried in Doncaster [Sally = Sarah Hood married Wm Oswin 1894. Sarah of Balby died 1919].

Page 2 "I understand there was also a daughter Winifred Hood who did not marry, and the last I heard of her was that she was residing in Harrogate, but my informant does not know her address."

--------

Is this the mystery Hood relative living in Harrogate, to which J. W. Chapman (Nephew of Arthur Chapman) a Hood relative is referring back to ...

Winifred E Hood

Census 1901
Harrogate, Yorkshire (West Riding), England
Civil Parish: Harrogate
Ecclesiastical Parish: Harrogate St Peters
Registration District: Knaresborough
Cambridge Street
Age 23
Relationship to Head of Household: Boarder
Birth Year: (Estimated) 1878
Birthplace: Redcar, Yorkshire
Schedule Type 36
Page Number  9 

Others in the Census Household: Annie Wright Marston; Emily A Hunt; Emma Pullan; Hilda J Hood; Alice L Cronier; Sarah Jane Mann; Mabel K Connelly.

Possibly Winifred Elizabeth HOOD
Mother BRIERLEY
Birth Registered in the District of Guisbrough
March Qtr 1878

EDIT: Winifred Elizabeth HOOD Marriage Guisbro' in 1903, so J. W. Chapman in 1945:-
has either not heard of her for a long time, or
I have the wrong Winifred Hood in Harrogate.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 00:50 BST (UK) »
It isn't Winifred Elizabeth Hood, well it could be, BUT a Winifred Featherstone is in Harrogate in 1939.

So I'm not sure at all , I'm trying to find out who Mabel North is. Winifred E Hoods parents were George ( master printer and stationer ) and Ann Elizabeth ( Brierly). She had a sister Mabel, so looking into that

Just sending you an email with those school records, and something else I spotted tonight.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 08:32 BST (UK) »
It isn't Winifred Elizabeth Hood, well it could be, BUT a Winifred Featherstone is in Harrogate in 1939.

So I'm not sure at all , I'm trying to find out who Mabel North is. Winifred E Hoods parents were George ( master printer and stationer ) and Ann Elizabeth ( Brierly). She had a sister Mabel, so looking into that

Thanks Claire

But Winifred Featherstone (Mother was a Hood 19th Century), can't be the unmarried "Winifred Hood" mentioned in the 1945 letter (in my last reply above)? Seems I am looking for a Winifred HOOD, after the emergence of this 1945 letter in the last 2 days?

--------

I am fairly sure the Chapmans of Doncaster were PRINTERS too.

--------

From Claire

Arthur Chapman died 1897 and is buried in Hyde Park Cemetery, Doncaster, plot C298.
Mary Ellen Chapman nee Hood [born Selby to James & Sarah Hood] aged 57 died 1 November 1910 and is buried with Arthur (in consecrated ground).

William Martin Chapman born 1879 married Charlotte Wilson North 1901 Doncaster. Three children: Norah Evelyn Chapman born 1906, Stewart Arundel Chapman born 1905 and Arthur North Chapman born 1903.

--------

Two of my Gt. Gt. Aunts in my HOOD line, had Doncaster connections and one mentions a Chapman in our family correspondence.

--------

Another Mystery HOOD?
Just need to ensure I get to the bottom of the WINIFRED HOOD, mentioned in the 1945 letter of J. W. Chapman of Doncaster and Scarborough, sent to the US?

Letter 1945: Page 2 "I understand there was also a daughter Winifred Hood who did not marry, and the last I heard of her was that she was residing in Harrogate, but my informant does not know her address."

A handwritten note (added to the typed 1945 letter) Information from Mabel North, 4 Hampton Road, Doncaster, says "Did not marry. Winifred Hood"

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 12:02 BST (UK) »

Mabel Lydia North was the sister of Charlotte Wilson North.

Died in 1956: lived at 4 Hampton Road, buried Doncaster Christchurch.

Probate granted to Thomas William Walter Anelay North.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 12:27 BST (UK) »

--------

Another Mystery HOOD?
Just need to ensure I get to the bottom of the WINIFRED HOOD, mentioned in the 1945 letter of J. W. Chapman of Doncaster and Scarborough, sent to the US?

Letter 1945: Page 2 "I understand there was also a daughter Winifred Hood who did not marry, and the last I heard of her was that she was residing in Harrogate, but my informant does not know her address."

A handwritten note (added to the typed 1945 letter) Information from Mabel North, 4 Hampton Road, Doncaster, says "Did not marry. Winifred Hood"

Regards Mark

Thanks Claire

Looks like from your information, the author of the handwritten note lived until 1956.

So we are looking for a Winifred Hood who never married and may once have lived at Harrogate at some point, which seems to throw my Census suggestion above, out of the window?

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
Adeline Hood & Thomas Featherstone had two children

Winifred WATSON Featherstone ( bn 1887) died 14 March 1955 at the General Hospital Guisborough. Abode: Rose Cottage, Ainthorpe Danby Yorks.
Probate granted to Hilda Middleton , widow.

And Robert William Featherstone bn 1891.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
Adeline Hood & Thomas Featherstone had two children

Winifred WATSON Featherstone ( bn 1887) died 14 March 1955 at the General Hospital Guisborough. Abode: Rose Cottage, Ainthorpe Danby Yorks.
Probate granted to Hilda Middleton , widow.

And Robert William Featherstone bn 1891.

Thank you Claire

I wonder why J. W. Chapman called her "Winifred Hood". The one in the quote was never a Hood by name.

--------

A Winifred Hood, Spinster, was mentioned in a 1941 Hood Probate.

--------

Re Harrogate, a 1931 to 1941 search has Hoods dying at no less than three Harrogate addresses.

1937 Hannah M Hood, of Pannal nr Harrogate
[Edwin Casson lived at Pannal House].

1939 Hannah Hood, proved by Wilfred Wilkinson.

1940 George Barker Hood, Otley Road.

--------

I've found a Frederick Hood of 147 St Saviours Road, Leicester, dying at the Carley St. Baptist Chapel, Leicester, on 12 Sept 1934, probably at the same Chapel that one of my Hoods attended! Florence Brooks was Hood's Widow.

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few Winifred Hoods to check out. I was a tad dubious finding Winifred Featherstone in Harrogate though I have to admit.

Adeline Featherstone died in 1931, I'm surprised they hadn't heard that.

When I was checking Adeline Hoods marriage there was another Adeline Hood that married in Leicestershire in 1893. I had initially thought the name Adeline was more unique than the Mary, Hannah and Sarah's I'm used to checking for.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: Thursday 20 July 17 01:11 BST (UK) »
Extract quote from Goughy

Burial

Henry Bacon of Selby
Surgeon and Apothecary son of John Bacon of Selby Tanner by Hannah his wife daugh of Mr Hood of Selby aforesaid Surgeon 17 September (1785) in Selby Church aged 60

There was a Henry Bacon baptised 19 January 1764 son of Mr Henry Bacon

A Henry Bacon (batchelor) was buried 13 May 1811

Only Probate Record listed is for Henry Bacon (Batchelor) ADMINISTRATION Nov 1819

Unquote

Me

In short Hannah Hood was Henry Bacon's mother

Hello

Some of the Bacons were Presbyterian (alias spelling Presbiterian), same as John Mush mentioned in the 1727 Will of Roger Hood of Selby.
Henry Bacon married Hannah Hood Daughter of Mr Hood of Selby Surgeon, early half of the 18th Cent.

Selby Presbyterian
Leonard Chamberlain, Draper, Market Place, Hull, a prominent Presbyterian lived in Selby (left Will 19 August 1716);
Beatrix Bacon was involved;
the Bacon family intermarried with Morrit and then the Bacon Morrit name appears.

After circa 1800 Unitarians began to have an influence over the Presbyterians in this area.

Rev. William Severn preached at Selby, but came from the Bowl Alley Lane Chapel, Hull and Severn died 22 June 1813, aged 58. Also managed to find his widow's notice attached.

Rev William Severn Memorial of 1813
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=H-EaAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA669&lpg=PA669&dq=%22Rev+william+Severn%22+Hull+1813&source=bl&ots=aq4ny8NQ4a&sig=Fox07TKpDZSr1uhhwA5yA0rxmxc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjY3YC7x5bVAhVKIcAKHZ3UAh4Q6AEIJDAB#v=onepage&q=%22Rev%20william%20Severn%22%20Hull%201813&f=false

--------

Interested who the Ministers were at the Bowl Alley Lane Chapel, Hull in the 1780s. I might access Bowl Alley Lane records at my Library.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=Bowl%20alley%20Lane&_cr=RG&_dss=range&_sd=1700&_ed=1800&_ro=any&_st=adv

Thank you, Mark