Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 159901 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #792 on: Sunday 24 September 17 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hello

Regarding Berlin Wool and Fancy Goods ...

The vintage Kirriemuir website has some postcard views of 1910, or posted 1910 ...

The Square, Kirriemuir

Originally posted 1910 with Berlin Wool Repository, David Hood Drapery Warehouse and W. B. Mills Bookseller & Printer.
http://www.vintagekirriemuir.com/bank-street-through-the-years?lightbox=image_zgh
(give it time to load page)

Probably a coincidence.

Regards Mark

David Hood - Probably nobody of interest.

Just that a Hood might be linked to the Berlin Wool business elsewhere in the UK.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: Sunday 24 September 17 16:49 BST (UK) »
The Berlin Wool Fair was held in Berlin

"German dealers, speculators, and small manufacturers were very active in buying." English bought more here than at other Fairs, according to Louis Bernard, "Sworn Broker and Taxator at the Royal Bank, Berlin."

However, a few years later in 1846 the British Chancellor of the Exchequer was considering whether to apply an import duty to Berlin Wool, but decided to apply a tax due to its Luxury cloth status.

Looks like my 3 X Gt. Grandmother Sarah Hood was one of many UK businesses, selling Berlin Wool, cloth and Embroidery Patterns etc., from Berlin?

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Thanks Claire for the reply.

I'm hoping that developments in the last 24 hours regarding George Hood's past (buried in the Selby Quaker Burial Ground as "Not in Membership"), will show the first signs of a few cracks!

Maudland Hood

One of the witnesses at Maudland Hood's Wedding at Selby 27th November 1794 was Frances STEARS.

After searching Family Search again, there is a possibility that witness Frances Stears, might be a Quaker?

[ADDED: Frances Stears Witness at Maudland Hood's 1794 Marriage at Selby was proven to be the same Frances Stears in other Quaker documents - by Signature comparison]

Frances Stears to Richard Yarwood 4th February 1796

For the Stears = Yarwood marriage Family Search are quoting Quaker references:-
RG 6/785 (TNA cat - says Yorkshire QUARTERLY Meeting - Marriages Soc. of Friends' Registers)
and
RG 6/857 (TNA cat - says York - MONTHLY Meeting - Marriages Soc. of Friends Registers).

Frances Yarwood, aged 83, is recorded as a Quaker at death, Hull.

--------

Maudland Hood's Father was John Hood of Selby, Mariner (late of Scarborough, where Maudland Hood's birth and Baptism dates are recorded - St Mary's).

Regards Mark

Thomas Stears - Death 1862

Wondered if this Thomas Stears might be a possible Brother, to the Quaker Frances Stears please in the Quote above?

May 26, at Centreville, North America, aged 87 years, Mr Thomas Stears, late of Florence, and formerly of Waxholme, Yorkshire, England. Hull Packet, 20th June 1862.

Internet information had this USA Thomas Stears, a Quaker with suggested links to Harrison and Jackson.

I've got Yorkshire HOOD Will notes mentioning Jackson and Harrison surnames.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=2bYaRLNfkk8C&pg=PA218&lpg=PA218&dq=%22Thomas+Stears%22+waxholme&source=bl&ots=YUbSsr3m0-&sig=l2kpC8K1t4mxy18gvW_jkmO07Lo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjTjIv2_sXWAhWRKFAKHQTjBR8Q6AEIHTAA

In the book a Jane Simpson, Todd, Richardson, Hull and Sculcoates, nr Hull, are all mentioned too!

The author seems to be linking some (suggestions) without making a documentary link?

Thanks Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 20:19 BST (UK) »
Will Summaries

John Hood, June 1815, Kirkby Misperton

I John Hood of Ryton in the County of York Jobber ...
my daughter Mary Sunley ...
my daughter Ann Gawbry ...
my daughter Jane Hodgson ...
my daughter Elizabeth Abbott ...
and lastly ... I appoint my son Robert Hood and my son in Law Thomas Harrison Sole Executors ...
11 September 1814 ...
Witnessed Rob't Drake // Richard Fox
Pass'd 5 June 1815.

Margaret Hood, June 1795 Howden

I Margaret Hood late of Howden in the County of York but now of Bubwith ... County of York Spinster ...
bequeath unto my Cousin Jane Jackson Daughter of Robert Jackson of Newbald in the said County of York ...
residue and remainder, money, personal Estate debts and funeral expenses charges of proving this my will Unto Matthew Tate of Bubwith aforesaid Farmer ...
All closes Lands Hereditaments and Real Estate ...
use of the said Matthew Tate his Heirs and Assigns ...
Matthew Tate Sole Executor ...
Witnesses George Jon //  John Peirson ...
Seal June 1795

[John Peirson might be the Howden Solicitor]

William Hood, March 1852, Catwick

William Hood of Catwick County of York Farmer ...
my Niece Ann Jackson ...
reference to Farmhouse and Farm 116 Acres and 3 Roods at Catwick
Brick tile yard and cottages and hereditaments at Aldborough my five sixth parts or shares and all other my share and interest of and in the Farm and Lands at Leven occupied by myself and John Foster ...
Leven ...
late in the respective occupations of John Carline, William Forge [Forge may read William Tonge?], William Thompson and Charles Sleggs[?] my moiety and all other my share of the Wind Mill and other hereditaments at Leven ...
£1,500 unto and equally between such of my Nephews and Nieces the children of my brother Richard Hood living at my death ...
unto the Widow of my late Nephew Joseph Quarton of Stamford Bridge and my [two words name/s unreadable] Richardson ...
my Housekeeper Isabella [surname unreadable]
to the Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Connexion ... Isabella Cross ...
Each of my Trustees and Executors Richard Hood Thomas Davison and Wells Hood ...
to Richard Lyon of Catfoss ... Farmer ... chapels. 
I bequeath the sum of Four pounds to William Hood Hepton of Catwick aforesaid Yeoman ...
William Hood Hepton and to the issue then living of each child or children ...
children of Joseph Quarton ...
William Hood Hepton, my said Brother Richard Hood, the children of my said Brother Richard Hood, the said Joseph Quarton and BURTON RICHARDSON ...
I appoint Richard Hood of Stamford Bridge near York Wine and Spirit Merchant Thomas Davison of Spring Street in the Borough of Kingston upon Hull Gentleman and Wells Hood of the City of York Wine Merchant to be Trustees and also Executors
[the film was poor, the remainder was unreadable, if of interest, a scan of the original Will bundle perhaps].

reference to the Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Connexion ... ... ...

--------

1861 Mrs [Sarah] HOOD, Tanner, of Selby was neighbour to the JACKSON Widow and Daughter.

1861 Selby Census
Sarah HOOD, Widow, aged 41, Tanner, Born Selby. [John Hood's widow, nee Richardson]
Mary JACKSON, Widow, aged 75, Born Grantham, Lincs.
Mary JACKSON, Dau'r                   Born Ackworth, Yorks.

1865 SELBY Tannery For Sale by Mrs Jackson

Mrs HOOD had been lately occupying.

Any link with Mrs Mary JACKSON (Widow) born Grantham, to these other HOOD - JACKSON Will links, please?

Was Mary Jackson a Quaker?

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark and all

He was indeed the brother of Frances Stears, here is the record of his birth
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

Mary Jackson nee Cole was born in Lincolnshire, her husband RICHARD JACKSON was a tanner, they married in Ackworth in 1813.

Will delve into his background

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: Thursday 28 September 17 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Thanks Claire for the reply.

I'm hoping that developments in the last 24 hours regarding George Hood's past (buried in the Selby Quaker Burial Ground as "Not in Membership"), will show the first signs of a few cracks!

Maudland Hood

One of the witnesses at Maudland Hood's Wedding at Selby 27th November 1794 was Frances STEARS.

After searching Family Search again, there is a possibility that witness Frances Stears, might be a Quaker?

[ADDED: Frances Stears Witness at Maudland Hood's 1794 Marriage at Selby was proven to be the same Frances Stears in other Quaker documents - by Signature comparison]

Frances Stears to Richard Yarwood 4th February 1796

For the Stears = Yarwood marriage Family Search are quoting Quaker references:-
RG 6/785 (TNA cat - says Yorkshire QUARTERLY Meeting - Marriages Soc. of Friends' Registers)
and
RG 6/857 (TNA cat - says York - MONTHLY Meeting - Marriages Soc. of Friends Registers).

Frances Yarwood, aged 83, is recorded as a Quaker at death, Hull.

--------

Maudland Hood's Father was John Hood of Selby, Mariner (late of Scarborough, where Maudland Hood's birth and Baptism dates are recorded - St Mary's).

Regards Mark

Thomas Stears - Death 1862

Wondered if this Thomas Stears might be a possible Brother, to the Quaker Frances Stears please in the Quote above?

May 26, at Centreville, North America, aged 87 years, Mr Thomas Stears, late of Florence, and formerly of Waxholme, Yorkshire, England. Hull Packet, 20th June 1862.

Internet information had this USA Thomas Stears, a Quaker with suggested links to Harrison and Jackson.

I've got Yorkshire HOOD Will notes mentioning Jackson and Harrison surnames.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=2bYaRLNfkk8C&pg=PA218&lpg=PA218&dq=%22Thomas+Stears%22+waxholme&source=bl&ots=YUbSsr3m0-&sig=l2kpC8K1t4mxy18gvW_jkmO07Lo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjTjIv2_sXWAhWRKFAKHQTjBR8Q6AEIHTAA

In the book a Jane Simpson, Todd, Richardson, Hull and Sculcoates, nr Hull, are all mentioned too!

The author seems to be linking some (suggestions) without making a documentary link?

Thanks Mark

Thank you Claire

It is the link to that book and the connections that the author is making with Harrison, Stears and the familiar surnames at HULL and Sculcoates (which could just as easily be Selby surnames, some possibly even related to Selby families) and the HOOD Will with Harrison.

The two HOOD Wills with Jackson and the Jackson Selby Tannery (occupied by Mrs Hood) are added for supplementary to keep it all together (and a secondary question), in case the whole lot might link up to each other.

It is mainly who Stears has links to, in the book link, of primary concern?

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: Thursday 28 September 17 00:20 BST (UK) »

Thomas STEARS married Elizabeth HARRISON :)

Marriage not online but they married by licence in Sigglesthorne 12 Oct 1809.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: Thursday 28 September 17 02:56 BST (UK) »

Thomas STEARS married Elizabeth HARRISON :)

Marriage not online but they married by licence in Sigglesthorne 12 Oct 1809.

***Updated***

Thank you Claire,

Sigglesthorne and Bewholme Nunkeeling (Thomas & Mary Stears residence 1796), are near Hornsea.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6283433#msg6283433

Waxholme (in Thomas Stears, Obit, 1862) is down the coast near Withernsea.

--------

Sigglesthorne is near Catwick / Leven (William & Richard Hoods Manor Estate & Farm)
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/yorks/east/vol7/pp255-261

Internet -  "1796.0801 William Hood Hepton bap Catwick illeg son Mercy H."

Hood Hepton was apparently ILLEGITIMATE and somebody is claiming William Hood Hepton as a Hebden, not Hepton?

William Hood's March 1852 Catwick Will (copied into the Will Register - Borthwick) does say William HOOD HEPTON. Richard Hood's Brother was Wells Hood of York, also a Wine & Spirits Merchant!

--------

I wonder if there is another Hood link somewhere to Harrison / Stears?

Also wondering how HOOD HEPTON fit in?

Mark