Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 159675 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #972 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Don't get excited, George Hood does have other property besides Wren Lane and Gowthorpe, Selby. His Will also says he has Mortgaged Estates.

George Hood is also acting as a Building Society, lending money.

Hood's Will dated 1845
16th April 1846 Property Registered at Wakefield
Registration after the death of George Hood late of Selby, of Messuages Brewery, two Malt Kilns, Buildings, Workshops, Yards and Premises etc., in Wren Lane and Gowthorpe
and Also all other his messuages cottages lands tenements and real estate whatsover and wheresoever Together with the rights members and appurtenances to the same several hereditaments and premises respectively belonging ... 15th April 1846

William Hood has signed and placed his official Seal (L.S.)
Sworn Rob: Jno Parker of Selby Solicitor
Hen'y Birkinshaw his Clerk

Haigh and J. S. Horsfall have signed in the Margin
What is interesting, is that the entry has two additional signatures in the top margin Wm or Hn Haigh and J. S. Horsfall (or J. G. Horsfall), as though they are present and perhaps have some link?

All of the late George Hood's other property and its location is not specified  ???   ???

Hereditaments
Suggests some property was the result of inheritance, or inherited the rents therefrom.

Whether that means inheritance (by someone else) before George Hood had ownership, or George Hood inherited, is not stated.

Occupiers George Hood, Robert Wilkinson and Others
George Hood, Robert Wilkinson are Occupiers, at Gowthorpe (also in Will).

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 17:27 GMT (UK) »
J. G. Horsfall of Manningham / Bradford
Bolton Royd House, built for J. G. Horsfall around 1832. Horsfall was a worsted spinner and manufacturer. His mill stood behind the parish church

Provoked rioting when he introduced steam power into his Mills (1820s?).

-----------

Finding several different Horsfall & Turner links, online, 1817 Huddersfield & 20th Cent
1817 http://gayandmike.co.uk/horsfall.htm

Maudland Hood married a Charles Turner

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Robert Wilkinson ?

George Wilkinson ? 1813 Knottingley property owner - tenant George Hood ?

~~~

Hereditaments

Could be Lease hold-Free hold or Copy Hold land {Petre for Selby or Wilkinson for Knottingley]-(held by a manorial tenant) ?

Hereditaments are divided into corporeal and incorporeal. Corporeal hereditaments are "such as affect the senses, and may be seen and handled by the body; incorporeal are not the subject of sensation, can neither be seen nor handled, are creatures of the mind, and exist only in contemplation".[1] An example of a corporeal hereditament is land held in freehold, held in leasehold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hereditament

https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/land-and-property-records-including-title-deeds/35/

Names in records of land 'hold's' or changed after a death to inheritor of named in a Will

Maybe worth talking to -see link below- they hold original copy hold black dusty scrolls records and old fashioned card index systems. They have a lot of older experienced academic book worm type people who know a lot-  roaming about old records.-(Ph'd's, Dr's,  Prof's and the like - who loved to advise when I use to visit soime years ago)

https://www.yas.org.uk/Contact

???
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

Besides owning property and Brewery in Wren Lane and the Messuages, a Malt Kiln and Premises in Gowthorpe, Selby.

George Hood also owned a SHARE in Messuages, cottages or tenements, Malt Kiln and premises, in Gowthorpe. NO NAME  ??? who George Hood shared the ownership with.

One possibility might be John Cape, because he was a Brewer in Gowthorpe, Selby.

Marriage of John Cape to Mary Gouldsbrough, at Selby - Oct / Nov 1822 (two dates, so possibly by Licence).

John Cape & Mary Cape, she was Thos Gouldsbrough's Daughter in the Will ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=770770.msg6236112#msg6236112

The Gouldsbrough's were related to Sarah RUSSELL, by Marriage.

----------

This looks to be too recent ...

Selby (Middlebrough) Brewery Ltd Selby
4 Gowthorpe
Premises New Inn
"Selby Ales" in faint outline on the fascia.

1903 TODD of Selby (and elsewhere), Maltkiln in Ousegate was occupied by Middlebrough & Son ...
More here ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=748511.msg5961499#msg5961499
Cellars occupied by Young & Company

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 00:18 GMT (UK) »
John Cape was a local lad to Selby born July 14th 1796 baptised 17th July 1796 son of a brewer John Cape and Elizabeth Foster

The J G Horsfall of Manningham/Bradford area is likely this guy

John Garnet(t) Horsfall bpt. 7 Mar 1788 Thornton by Bradfor in the Kipping Independent Chapel, son of Timothy and Sarah Horsfall.

J G Horsfall married a Mary Horsfall 1817 and died 1848 Frant, Sussex.

Here is his signature form his marriage, you can check if it may be the same guy

Claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 00:33 GMT (UK) »
There were however Horsfalls in Selby. Cannot see a J S Horsfall or initials J G in Selby but two marriages caught my eye.

One of a John Horsfall - the marriage was witnessed by a Hannah Turner. The other was a Joseph Horsfall who married an Elizabeth ROE - a Roe was a Bondsman on a John Hood marriage bond or allegation I seem to recollect.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 09:20 GMT (UK) »

There were however Horsfalls in Selby. Cannot see a J S Horsfall or initials J G in Selby but two marriages caught my eye.

One of a John Horsfall - the marriage was witnessed by a Hannah Turner. The other was a Joseph Horsfall who married an Elizabeth ROE - a Roe was a Bondsman on a John Hood marriage bond or allegation I seem to recollect.

Claire

Hello

Thank you Claire.

John Roe was Bondsman on the John Hood of Scarborough, Mariner, with Sarah Hammond (Saint Giles in The Fields) 1778 London Marriage Bond.

However, the John Hood signature (on the 1778 London Marriage Bond) was a different signature to the John Hood of Scarborough, Mariner, who in 1763 married Elizabeth Leppington, Widow, (Elizabeth Spencer).

-----------

The mystery share in the other Hood property, at Gowthorpe, Selby, could be anybody.

-----------

Parkers Solicitors only kept documents, which were family related.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 12:23 GMT (UK) »

Claire

1833 Joseph Horsfall = Elizabeth Roe, marriage at Selby, was witnessed by a William Blenkhorn?

Blenkhorn are in Sarah Richardson's line who married John Hood of Selby, Tanner.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Births, Deaths, Marriages and Obituaries .
The Sussex Advertiser, Surrey Gazette and West Kent Courier (Lewes, England), Tuesday, September 12, 1848

Deaths (died)

Horsfall - August 31st (1848) at Tunbridge Wells, John Garrett Horsfall, Esq, of Bolton Royde Bradford, Yorkshire in his 61st (Estimate birth year 1787 which fits Claire's bapt 7th March 1788 Bradford find) year of his age.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth