Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 159880 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #1035 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hello

Awaiting the 1816 Will bundle of Wm Batman of Selby, because George Hood was later one of the occupants of the premises owned by the Exors of Batman and there was a later Hood of Selby link to Bateman (via Wilkinson).

In 1839 George Hood with others were linked to the premises owned by Batman's Exors.

By 1840 Richard Precious now owned the premises (previously Batman's Exors) with Geo Hood and others still occupying.

Interesting that a Robert Precious married Hannah Newby 1825, Daughter of Hannah Newby (nee Chester) of Carlton, Snaith and Kellington and Mother of Chester Newby (George Hood's Marriage Bondsman).

Going back to the Batman surname, it appears at Eastrington - Mary BATMAN marrying Thomas SWAN in 1772. John BATMAN was a witness.

Then on the next Eastrington page (same opening) John Batman witnesses a John ANELAY, marriage in 1773. The Howdenshire History website suggests the early members of the Eastrington Ainley Family came from the Snaith area and mentions the 1773 Marriage.
http://www.howdenshirehistory.co.uk/eastrington/ainley-family-history.html

Interesting, because in 1802 a George Newby, Wheelwright, married Elizabeth Swan, Spinster both of Baln, Parish of Snaith and William HOOD and David SWANN were witnesses.

At Selby in 1811 Robert CHESTER, Sailor, married Jane BATEMAN, witnesses Thos AINLAY and John Jackinson.

There just seems to be a load of surname links with all this above lot!

----------

Then I find on the Borthwick catalogue for Yarburgh of Heslington ...

Agreement of Sarah and David SWANN, farmers, OF BALNE, with George John Yarburgh, to rent lands in Balne on annual basis, at £137 per annum

Wm Hood of Heslington is also linked to the Yarburgh of Heslington, due to Wm Hood holding some of Yarburgh lands.
 *** Added: Elizabeth Hood 1717 seems to be listed under a Marriage Settlement list by Hull History Centre [Financial Settlement prior to an intended Marriage, usually to cover her settlement should her Husband die first] in the Greame papers, apparently linked with Yarburgh.

Yarburgh of Heslington also holds lands in various parts of the Parish of Snaith and just discovered Yarburgh of Snaith Hall and G. Cooke Yarburgh mentioned in 1826.

Therefore, I've ordered the full Will Bundle of William Hood of Heslington (rather than just my 1807 Inland Revenue Abstract Copy).

-----------

Clary WALKER first married Jonathan Ranby of Pollington and as Widow she married James Hood, Schoolmaster in 1762 at Snaith. Buried Snaith in 1794 as Clarissa Hood.

And who were witnesses in 1762 Samuel ANLEY (variations of that surname also cropping up often) and the other witness was Samuel Huscroft.

----------

Previously, traced back the ancestry of the Bell Hotel, Humberstone Gate, Leicester, proprietor's Wife, (where my 2 x Gt Grandmother was a Domestic in 1871, shortly before her Marriage) and the Proprietor's Wife descends from Robinson of Carlton, Snaith. In the same line, there was a Hannah Cooke and Wm Storr witnesses at the 1821 Snaith Wedding of John Robinson and Ann Eddell.

Fotunately, there is an 1839 Will for this John Robinson of Carlton, Widow Ann, the Hotel Wife's ancestor, so ordered that too.

Previously we discovered, in 1830 William Cockin of Snaith married Ann Robinson at Hatfield (William Cooke & John Hepworth were witnesses) and now wonder if they'll be related to this Robinson of Carlton line. Hopefully the Will might link a few, or perhaps the Leicester Hotel Proprietor's Wife was a relative of ours and how my 2 X Gt Grandparents met (the Proprietor's Wife and my 2 X Gt Grandfather both having links with Selby).

My Grandmother mentioned Snaith and Beverley, also Stephenson and Robinson.

So I still remain hopeful!

Mark

*** Elizabeth Hood of Sewerby 1717 was listed as a Will by the Hull History Centre, sorry. Not a Marriage Settlement.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: Sunday 02 June 19 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hello

1. Fantastic, definitely a link back to Carlton in the Parish of Snaith, from Mary Thomson Wife of the Leicester Hotel Proprietor (where Cecilia Westley worked), linking to Cook / Cooke and Robinson.

What my late Grandmother (late of Leicester) told me about our relations around 47 years ago regarding Snaith and surname Robinson, now looks good ;D and also James Hood of Selby, named a Daughter with COOK as her middle name.

George Hood born Selby 1847 must have known Mary Thomson (Nee Robinson, related to Cook) and met his Wife Cecilia Westley a Domestic at the Bell Hotel, Leicester.

2. In 1891, Emma Hirst, Married, aged 57 [should say 37, per Census either side], born Ledsham, Yorkshire, the Visitor in the 1891 Household of Charles Hood, 30, born Selby, also one leg of her ancestry traces back (via Geo Tindall & Jane Horsfield) and the Snaith Baptism Register on 29th August 1813 Jane Daughter of Thomas Horsefield and Mary ROBINSON, Abode Heck, Labourer.

So the 1891 Visitor at Charles Hood's house was also related to a ROBINSON at Heck, Parish of Snaith in 1813.

3. Or perhaps Henry Abraham Thomson, baptised Jarrow, Durham, 2nd September 1824, Parents Robert and Charlotte McSparran Thomson of West Dean Lodge, Master in His Majestys Navy, have a Hood link?

West Dean Lodge was near South Shields in the Parish of Jarrow.

When his Father Robert Thomson apparently married in Hampshire in 1804, two interesting witnesses at the Portsea, Marriage were Jane COOK and Maria BAKER. Other witnesses were Emily Pakenham Yates and James Vosper.

ADDED: Henry Abraham Thomson is mentioned along with his Brothers/Sisters:- Robert Thomson, Charlotte Watson Wife of Matthew Watson, Paget Thomson, Alexander Thomson, James Thomson, Elizabeth Thomson and Henry Abraham Thomson, in the 1829 Will of Robert Thomson of West Dean Lodge (Durham University North East Inheritance Project database).
http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/simple.php

A bit here by John McSparron
https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/betty/168/

As my Father said today, I just need to find/confirm the Hood link (at the earlier George Hood end ::) 1780s).

Mark

Hello

1871 My ancestor Cecilia Westley, born Brentford, was a Domestic at the Bull Hotel, Humberstone Gate, Leicester (who married George Hood, born Selby 1847).

1871, the Bull Hotel, Humberstone Gate, Leicester, Proprietor was Henry Abraham Thomson (born Jarrow) and his Wife, Mary Thomson, was nee Mary Robinson, born Carlton Snaith, Yorkshire.

1858, Henry Abraham Thomson, Hotel Keeper of Leicester and James Cooke, Auctioneer, are mentioned in an Assignment from Richard Lowe.

1851 the couple were at 12 The Park, Lincoln and he was a Spirit Merchant Clerk and Mary Thomson aged 25 was born Carlton, Yorkshire.

1850 Henry Abraham Thomson married Mary Robinson at Carlton Chapel, Snaith.

Tracing Mary Robinson back, Mary Thomson was the Daughter of John Robinson, Farmer & Ann Eddel, and Mary was baptised at Carlton 1st January 1826.

The Marriage of John Robinson of Snaith and Chapelry of Carlton, Bachelor and Ann Eddell, Spinster, by Licence, was on 1st March 1821, in the presence of Witnesses:- Wm Storr; Hannah COOKE and Hannah Eddell.

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: Sunday 02 June 19 08:24 BST (UK) »
Fantastic work as always.

Just wondering: gave you tried a DNA test?

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: Monday 03 June 19 23:20 BST (UK) »
Fantastic work as always.

Just wondering: gave you tried a DNA test?

Hello Ben and All

No, there is often still an immense amount of paperwork tracing and checking with DNA, if you can get the DNA matches to even respond, with something, to even start checking their lineage or Tree out.

Because over 200 years have passed and with each family generation multiplying like rabbits, you can end up with 1,000s of DNA possibles, so I hear from one Rootschatter. I have all the tools and family knowledge to find the descending relatives in the other Hood lines (three so far, all claiming George Hood of Selby is a total mystery).

Ann Etty
Got a feeling this was spotted by a Rootschatter before for the Ann Etty link.

However, the first Yorkshire ROBINSON Marriage I looked at this evening (on f m p) and who should appear as a Witness - an ANN ETTY

1827 William Darnton marrying Margaret Robinson, wits Ann ETTY & Edward Bowman are at the Terrington, Yorkshire, England, marriage.

For those not following for a while an ANN ETTY of York loaned the Money by way of a Mortage for George Hood to purchase the Nicholson properties at Selby in 1838, George Hood occupying some (with others) and holding the other properties in Trust for James Collinson, until Son William Hood ordered the Sale in 1864.

I am hoping that the first cracks are about to spurt a leak in George Hood's mighty Dam Wall (like the Dambusters in WW 2) and Hood history is about to be made  ;D

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: Monday 10 June 19 18:25 BST (UK) »

Quoted Edited

1. Fantastic, definitely a link back to Carlton in the Parish of Snaith, from Mary Thomson Wife of the Leicester Hotel Proprietor (where Cecilia Westley worked), linking to Cook / Cooke and Robinson.

What my late Grandmother (late of Leicester) told me about our relations around 47 years ago regarding Snaith and surname Robinson, now looks good ;D and also James Hood of Selby, named a Daughter with COOK as her middle name.

George Hood born Selby 1847 must have known Mary Thomson (Nee Robinson, related to Cook) and met his Wife Cecilia Westley a Domestic at the Bell Hotel, Leicester.

2. In 1891, Emma Hirst, Married, aged 57 [should say 37, per Census either side], born Ledsham, Yorkshire, the Visitor in the 1891 Household of Charles Hood, 30, born Selby, also one leg of her ancestry traces back (via Geo Tindall & Jane Horsfield) and the Snaith Baptism Register on 29th August 1813 Jane Daughter of Thomas Horsefield and Mary ROBINSON, Abode Heck, Labourer.

So the 1891 Visitor at Charles Hood's house was also related to a ROBINSON at Heck, Parish of Snaith in 1813.

Quote Edited

The Marriage of John Robinson of Snaith and Chapelry of Carlton, Bachelor and Ann Eddell, Spinster, by Licence, was on 1st March 1821, in the presence of Witnesses:- Wm Storr; Hannah COOKE and Hannah Eddell.

Hello

Wm Storr; Hannah Cooke and Annah Eddell, witnessed the 1821 Marriage of John Robinson & Ann Eddell, Carlton in the Parish of Snaith, Yorkshire, England (scribbled research diagram above).

Since posting I have acquired a 19 page article for sale, about William Storr of Hutton Bushell and Scalm Park, Wistow [near Selby], written by Rev. W. Consitt Boulter, M.A., F.S.A. (of which this attachment forms one of the 19 pages). Unfortunately, a poor 100 dpi resolution pdf scan of the 19 pages is still too large to post.

Numerous names, a few surnames later associated with the mystery George Hood of Selby at Wren Lane and the earlier John Hood of Selby, Mariner, are mentioned in the article.

Unfortunately, the only reference to HOOD alias Hudd is under Owners and Tenants of Land at Wistow, 1711-2, which still leaves a gap.

The old article is absolutely full of citation references, including Robinson's *Whitby Gloss., etc., etc., and 2 Daughters of Hall Stephenson of Farlington on the Tree diagram.

*Whitby Gloss., 1855 [Glossary?]

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: Saturday 29 June 19 08:22 BST (UK) »

and just to put James Hood's parentage here for future reference (obviously only from the Russell side)

Russell     Grandparents            William RUSSELL and Mary BURTON
               Gt grandparents         John RUSSELL and Martha HOTCHSON [signed Martha Hodgson]

Edward BURTON and William SILVERWOOD

Sarah Hood, nee Sarah Russell's Grandmother
10th February 1754 at Drax, John Russell of Selby married Martha HODGSON of Drax, by Banns.
(both could sign their own names and the Church have listed her surname wrong as Hotchson)

----------

Attachment in the Link
1762, Edward Robinson married Mary Hodgson, both of Snaith and Town of Carlton by Banns
Witnessed by John Cook and Joseph Taylor (Taylor looks to be a churchman)
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6745581#msg6745581

Also in the Snaith, Yorkshire, Robinson & Cook(e) diagram is a William Stennitt. William Morley of Snaith, Grocer, married Dolley Stennit of Kingston upon Hull, Spinster, by Licence 15th August 1775 at Snaith, in the Presence of William Stennit and Frances Stennit.

In 1765 John Turner married Ann Russel at Selby and Ann Morley & Goseph Morley were witnesses.
(I wonder if this John Turner later became John Hood's Landlord, from 1781 Selby Land Tax)

These Robinson are linked to COOKE of Rawcliffe, Snaith and John CHESTER and William MORLEY witness the William Cooke, Mariner, Marriage in 1777 to Elizabeth GREEN.

1817 Will of William Cooke of Rawcliffe, parish of Snaith, Gentleman
Will mentions Barbara Chester Daughter of the late John Chester of Selby, William Morley, Joseph Morley his Son, William Morley his Son, Mary Hannah Smith his Daughter, Harriet the Wife Joseph Hodgson of Rawcliffe aforesaid Apothecary and my Cousin Mary Wagstaff. John Meggitt of Rawcliffe and Mary Moody Serv't to Mr Cooke and Shearburn, Att'y at Law Snaith, witness the Will. Joshua Stones was an Executor.

The Meggitt surname appears in the Sarah RUSSELL (Sarah HOOD of Selby after her 1815 Marriage to George Hood) descent marriage/s:- (1784 Mary Russell to Geo Tarbotton & 1796 Henry Popplewell to Marshall. Henry Popplewell was present at the Wm Russell to Mary Burton 1792 Marriage).

----------

Also interesting - Bridget Nicholson, Wife and Widow of Samuel Nicholson of Rawcliffe, Snaith, Yorkshire, was Bridget Crampton Widow and nee Bridget Hodgson.

18th August 1811 Bridget Hodgson married Robert Crampton at Wakefield by Banns, in the Presence of Sarah Sutcliffe and Thos Hodgson.

27th September 1820 at Selby, Samuel Nicholson, Widower, married Bridget Crampton, Widow by Licence, in the Presence of Wm Dunhill and Jno Dickinson.

1841 At Snaith, Yorkshire, Bridget Nicholson, Widow, of Rawcliffe, married Stephen Nettleton (Father, Geo Nettleton) in the Presence of Abraham Hodgson and William Denby. She gave her Father as John Nicholson, a Waterman.

See Re: 1851 How is Rebecca Russell, Niece in the DUNHILL Household?
Richard RUSSELL a Captain married Mary TURNER, at Selby, 7th July 1835, of the Parish of Selby.)
Mary TURNER was a descendant of John HOOD of Selby, Mariner, via Daughter Maudland Hood who married Charles Turner at Selby 1794.
Wm Dunhill was Creditor and Administrator see Reply #  ...
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=793207.msg6495889#msg6495889

Administration here ...
Re: Capt. Richard Russell & Mary Turner at Selby Abbey Church 7 July 1835 any info?
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=792827.msg6709139#msg6709139

-----------

George Hood of Selby with the help of a Mortgage from Ann Etty of York, purchased the Samuel Nicholson properties in 1838, after the Nicholson v. Nicholson, Chancery Case from 1830 to 1838.

----------

Amended
5th February 1832 Samuel Nicholson married Elizabeth Turner at Selby by Licence, witnessed by Isaac Butler and Joseph Milner.

2nd April 1832 at Selby, Samuel Nicholson, Wheelwright and Elizabeth Nicholson, baptise their Daughter Sarah MAUDLAND Nicholson.

Maudland possibly coming from Maudland the Daughter of John Hood of Selby (& Scarborough), Mariner who married Charles Turner.

However, it would appear that Elizabeth Nicholson was buried at Selby 28th January 1834, aged 32 giving her a birth of 1802 and therefore Elizabeth cannot be the Daughter of Charles and Maudland Turner.

Apparently, Samuel Nicholson "of Leeds" married Martha Wellburn 25th November 1834 at Selby, witnessed by Joshua Butterworth and Sarah Collinson.

It seems Sarah Maudland Nicholson was baptised again, as Sarah Nicholson 6th November 1836 in a block baptism at Leeds (omitting the middle name Maudland)?

----------

Looking at the other Diagram https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=804155.msg6623371#msg6623371 (initial post) which also shows a link between the Turner / Grubb descendants of John Hood of Selby, Mariner, to the descendants of George Hood of Selby, marrying a descendant of the same GRUBB ancestors.

Seems there is some family link from George Hood of Selby who married Sarah Russell in 1815, back to John Hood of Selby Mariner?

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you Claire, for the 1799 information.

In 1799 Mary Stears of Selby, who has the same Father (Thos Stears of Bewholme) as Frances Stears (a witness on Maudland HOOD's Marriage), married JOHN PROCTER of Stockton.

Notice the links to SCARBOROUGH too, in the 1799 Marriage.
John PROCTER's Father Stephen PROCTER was late of Scarborough.

Mary STEARS 1799 marriage is witnessed by Thomas PROCTER of SELBY, [father of William PROCTER of SELBY, also a Flax Dresser] who we know had links with my GEORGE HOOD.

Kind regards Mark

William HOOD is also named as holding premises in Mill Gate, Selby (formerly Beilby Lee of Selby, a Soap Boiler & Bankrupt, late of Hull, then Manchester after Selby). The names & Census suggest corner with Broad Street, Selby (alias Wide St / Micklegate), belonging to Wm Procter of Selby (written 1846).

Late 18th Century Map extract.

As well as owning property in Wren Lane and Gowthorpe, George Hood at death / Executors also occupied property in Water Lane and Church Hill and owning part of Ousegate, Selby, mid 1840s.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: Thursday 23 January 20 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

The Pedigree of the Dog of John Hood of Selby, Fellmonger [Tanner, who died 1860 Selby, Yorkshire] crops up in:- The Field, The Country Gentleman's Newspaper of 1876.

Apparently submitted by a mystery J. Hudson, of a mystery address, Cole Hill, Castle Hill, co. Durham

Under Durham
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=824580.msg6879208#msg6879208

Added update: seems the 1876 claim by Mr J. Hudson about the dog's Pedigree was wrong, according to June & October 1857 newspapers about Mr J. Hood's dogs.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: Friday 28 February 20 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Township Records, Selby Yorkshire DC/SBU/IX/2/4 Account Book 1815 to 1819
Selby, Yorkshire, 'Overseers of Poor' Accounts up to the new Act (1837), only survive from 1815 to 1819. Earlier Account Books end about 1780.

Pensions
John Hood, buried Selby, 4th April 1819 aged 82 years [the Mariner] received 3 shillings per payment at Selby, Yorkshire, as an 'Out Pensioner' from the first surviving Accounts in 1815 to March 1819, when his payments stop part of the way through a payment period (around the time of his burial) and apparently not residing in the Workhouse, being an 'Out Pensioner'.

In the notes which follow the Selby, Yorkshire, payments, it makes reference to Charles Turner receiving 10 shillings 6 pence expenses towards John Hood's Funeral.

Some did receive more than this figure for a funeral in the Accounts.
 ----------
George Hood of Selby
Regarding George Hood, the only new snippets in some recently seen paperwork was that:-
a) his occupation was Professional
b) George Hood of Selby sent someone else to negotiate and make the Agreement to Purchase the Wren Lane, Malt Kiln of John Clarkson's of New Port, Eastrington.
c) George Hood promised to make the payment at the Angel Inn, in Howden.
d) George Hood paid a pretty substantial amount (for 1836) of £510 for the very modest small property of Lord Petre.
e) Edward Parker, Solicitor, prepared a large and extensive 49 page Abstract of Title costing £31 - 16s - 9d in Legal Charges, for Hood's property purchase from Petre at Selby that seemed to cost £50.
f) there is an almost complete Title page fragment torn from an old New Testament Bible and on the reverse are some 18th Century Russell dates including Sarah Russell's and also the William Russell to Mary Burton, marriage and date. Rather interestingly it is marked H1 in different thicker ink and have seen marking like this before on exhibit documents returned from Court.
g) before and about 1836 various named individuals had secured Judgements against Petre in the Court of the King's Bench and the Court of Common Pleas. Seen a newspaper reference previously.
h) it would seem Sarah Russell was prohibited from having a Dower and to receive only an annual sum.

More mystery for me!

Mark