Author Topic: marriage of john Pratt and Janet Edmondson in Crosthwaite  (Read 2265 times)

Offline AH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
marriage of john Pratt and Janet Edmondson in Crosthwaite
« on: Thursday 06 October 16 19:42 BST (UK) »
I know that John Edward Pratt married Janet Edmondson in Crosthwaite, Cumberland 17/2/1824. I would love any more detail e.g. Ages, parents name, occupation etc. Don't know if that's actually possible as I know some parish registers don't have much other than names of the couple....but if anyone happens to see anything else ;D ;D ;D
Cheetham in Eccles, Lancashire. Roxburgh in Galston, Ayrshire. Lindsay in GlenIsla, Dundee and Newcastle

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: marriage of john Pratt and Janet Edmondson in Crosthwaite
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 October 16 03:44 BST (UK) »
Parish registers don't state parents names, occupation before 1837 (with the exception of a few).

Also, FindMyPast shows his wife's name as Jane (not Janet as on Ancestry) and the baptisms of their children give her name as Jane too.

However, the census shows age and occupation - John was a veterinary surgeon and his age fluctuates between 1801 and 1806.   He appears to have been born in Biggleswade (written as Bigleswood in 1871), Bedfordshire - however, I can't find any online records for any Pratts in Biggleswade born 1790-1810.

By 1841 he and his 3 children are in Newcastle upon Tyne - the 2 boys born in Cumberland, the dau. born in Beverley, Yorkshire (according to a later census).   With them in 1841/1851 are an Ann Edmondson who was Jane's sister.   Looks like Jane was dead by 1841.

On Census Ann Edmondson says she was born Keswick but both she and sister Jane were baptised in Crosthwaite - Jane bp.28/12/1797 and Ann bp.1/4/1800 - their parents were Isaac Edmondson and wife Mary.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 October 16 08:40 BST (UK) »
"CROSTHWAITE CHURCH is situated on the edge of Keswick and the Parish incorporates the northern half of this charming Lakeland town and several nearby villages."

From http://www.crosthwaitechurchkeswick.co.uk/aboutus.html
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline AH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 October 16 08:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.....I guess that's what I was wondering...are the parish registers of crosthwaite one of "the few". My thoughts went along the lines of it's a smaller parish, compared to say Newcastle, maybe there's a bit more detail....a million to one chance, I know ::)
Thanks for confirming all my on line stuff though....it's always good to see someone else reads things the same way  :)
Cheetham in Eccles, Lancashire. Roxburgh in Galston, Ayrshire. Lindsay in GlenIsla, Dundee and Newcastle