Author Topic: Marriage Frances Gittins and Joseph Wenyon  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Frances Gittins and Joseph Wenyon
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 November 06 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I had another quick look and found in January - March 1880 a Frances Ann Gittens marriage in Marylebone. The others on the page are unavailable possibly as the register was unlegible. Is this too early? If nor it may be worth sending for the certificate. You could always put a proviso on the request.

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 November 06 12:18 GMT (UK) »
The date should be between 1881(after the cencus)-1883

Hi
I've searched the North Wales BMD and  every quarter or the GRO index June 1881 - Dec 1883 for the marriage of a Joseph Wenyon. There are none registered.

Could they have married before the census, as Peter has found one possible? or could they have married after leaving the UK?

Gadget

PS - no Joseph Wenyon matches March q, 1880, Peter  :(
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 November 06 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

I realised that was no match but if the name was illegible..........!! or maybe just mistranscribed.

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 November 06 13:04 GMT (UK) »
I'll go and repeat the process for Frances Gittins* - I chose Wenyon/Wennyon because I thought it was more rare.
Even if they married in a Non-Conformist Church/Chapel, they would have registered their marriage. There's nothing on the N Wales BMD and I know that Wrexham has been complete for a while  :(

Gadget

* Nothing found - could they have married on board?

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline MikeDavies38

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 November 06 20:00 GMT (UK) »
If you didn't know, an Eliza Morley Wenyon died in Wrexham in 1901.  Could she be a relation?
Davies, Bywater, Murray, Gaunt, Benton, Jones, Richardson

Offline janem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,I am working on the assumption that it was after the 1881 cencus as Frances Gittens is referred to by her maiden name in her fathers household in Wrexham on that cencus return....and I didnt think Wesleyans would make a mistake about that. But maybe they did...
Joseph Wenyon and his family all changed their names from Onions to Wenyon in 1879. Joseph Wenyon was in South Africa from 1878 until he died.
A marriage in London would seem possible,Josephs brother, and Frances sister(who were married to each other)lived there for a time I think.Perhaps Joseph returned between postings so 1880 would make his later letter requesting his wife join him correct.
Thank You.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried looking for a marriage of a Joseph Onions?

Just a thought.  And why would she be with her parents on the 1881? Possibly she was at home and somehow got listed as a 'do' but would she not have said 'married'?

Or maybe it was clandestine  :o

With Methodist ancestors myself, I can see how you might not believe it.

Gadget

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 November 06 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi janem,
I've had a look through the national index of bmd at the library and the only Frances Gittins I could find was the same as Peter.  Marylebone 1880 but no match for Joseph Wenyon or Onions.

On the 1881 census Frances is at home unmarried.

Could Frances be Josephs second wife and in the letter you have he is asking for his first wife to join him?
Just a thought.

Paul.