Author Topic: Garden City ( ? ) Blyth  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Cowpen Quay Exile

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Garden City ( ? ) Blyth
« on: Sunday 09 October 16 16:17 BST (UK) »
When Blyth Urban District Council built the Avenues housing scheme in the 1920's they decided there would be NO
Thirteenth Avenue because no one would want to live in an " unlucky " number . However they also
missed Twentyfourth Avenue . Why?

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Garden City ( ? ) Blyth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 October 16 19:16 BST (UK) »
Can we not have some information re this query ? :)
But more hopefully, can some of the more experienced members of the Northumberland page, upload and overlaid an old map onto the current map of Blyth ?  As a young boy travelling down to Blyth on the No.39 from Newsham to the centre of the universe, the Avenues were on the left, and always seemed to be there.
What was that area like before they built the estate ?  And connected with this, when was Newlands School built ?

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 October 16 22:19 BST (UK) »
I've been thinking about this off and on since it was posted but don't know the answer.

Actually I can't find quite a few other numbers and did think that some may have been demolished to build Newlands but all the old maps have an empty space where the school was built so perhaps not.

As for what was there before the avenues were built - mostly farm land.  There was Barras farm on Plessey Road and another somewhere in the region of PLR school.

Christine

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 October 16 15:05 BST (UK) »
It seems that none of the forum members lived in the Avenues.
We lived nearby, Kingsway, and for many years I cycled to school on Plessey Rd. (BGS) via 10th and 12th Ave.
The houses were well built, with small gardens. Altogether a very pleasant estate. And not much different in the 90s when I  walked through the ?north end from the bus on Plessey Rd., to Broadway, where Mum lived.
But I've no idea why those 2 numbers were omitted. It would need some info from the council records of the 1920s to find out.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 October 16 17:38 BST (UK) »
I played in the avenues as a child and one of my grandmothers lived in 7th.  I also got to BGS walking up 6th and along 12th but I had no idea at that time that there were any higher numbers than 12  ;D

Offline AlisdairGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 October 16 11:33 BST (UK) »
When I moved to Blyth I wondered the same, and when I joined the old Blyth Valley Council I asked. No- one could give me a definitive answer.

It was thought that 13th Avenue was omitted through perceived superstition, as per the original post. As for 24th Avenue, consensus of opinion was that a redesign of the estate layout between original planning and building the houses meant that twentyfourth Avenue was not built. I accepted this as plausible and didn't persue it further

I wish I had now, but many of the older planning staff have retired and such a source of information ( and trivia!) has been lost.  I still have occasional contact with an old time planning officer, I'll ask him when I see him.
Daniel: Scarborough
Malyon: Essex, London
Bell: Northumberland
Gibbs: Northumberland, Co Durham, North Yorks
Appleyard: Bridlington, Scarborough
Barton: Nottingham, Sheffield
Bunn, Sanderson, Gray, Hindmarsh, Tron , Tait and others - wife's family , Durham and Northumberland

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 October 16 11:56 BST (UK) »
You can see 24th Avenue on the map at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/430723/580183/12/100709 now called Newlands Avenue.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 October 16 12:05 BST (UK) »
Well spotted, Stan.  I had a discussion last night as to whether Newlands Avenue or Newlands Road had been an avenue renamed.

Another challenge - where are/were 16th, 17th and 19th?  because I can't find them either!

Christine

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 October 16 12:29 BST (UK) »
Another challenge - where are/were 16th, 17th and 19th?  because I can't find them either!
Christine

They could have been planned where Newlands County Secondary School was built.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk