Author Topic: Timothy Hamilton - New Hampshire?  (Read 691 times)

Offline EmmaPettit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Timothy Hamilton - New Hampshire?
« on: Tuesday 11 October 16 02:32 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I’m hoping someone can help me out a little.
I am researching Timothy Robinson.
I do not as of yet know where he was born but I believe it to be New Hampshire.
I have his will from 2 Feb 1736. He states he is from Dover, New Hampshire.
His children in it are listed as:
Abigail 1693
Mary 1695
Sarah 1702
Hannah 1707
Timothy 1710
Elizabeth 1712
(Hannah is my direct relation and married William Hussey)
In Timothys will Hannah is listed with the last name of Hussey, so I know this to be the right family that I am looking for.
The births for these children that I can find all list the mother as being a Mary Allen.
All the births took place in Dover, New Hampshire.

The issue I am having is being able to find a marriage between Timothy Robinson and a Mary Allen.

I am hoping someone can lead me in the right direction of finding a marriage between these 2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Emma
Pettit -Cambridgeshire UK - QLD Australia
Bird - Huntingdonshire UK - QLD Australia
Rickert - Germany-Australia
Ford - QLD Australia
Hussey - New Hampshire USA
Ellis - New Hampshire USA - QLD Australia
Bickford, Hall, Lilley, Stearn, Savidge

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Timothy Hamilton - New Hampshire?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 October 16 03:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma

I've done a little digging for you.  I saw the one birth record from Dover that states a 1710 birth of Timothy Robinson with parents Timothy and Mary Allen but that is the only one.  The other births are later in the 1700's and I think are real births for Timothy Robinson and Mary Allen children but in a generation later!  I'm not sure if those birth records were made at the time of the event or copied over much later.  Perhaps father Timothy gave his own birthdate instead of that of his child.  Who knows??  What I did find is Timothy Robinson Jr., born on 15 Mar. 1667/8 in Salem, MA, was brought to Dover, NH, by his mother, Mary and step-father, Thomas Hanson.  His biological father, Timothy Robinson Sr., had died in Salem and his mother married again to Thomas Hanson who had been born in Dover.  Timothy Jr grew up in Dover and married Mary Roberts, daughter of John and Abigail (Nutter) Roberts, about 1692.(I have not found proof of this marriage yet but online researchers believe it to be true.)  Timothy Jr. was a cordwainer, and a Quaker.   He died testate in 1737. His will dated 2 Feb. 1736/7, and proved on 9 May 1737 is published in Volume 2 of Probate Records of the Province of New Hampshire  and names the following heirs:

I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife Mary Robison
I give and bequeath unto my Son Timothy Robinson
I give and bequeath unto my Daughters Abigail Varney, Mary Estes, Sarah Varney, Hannah Hussey, and Elizabeth Tebbets

I am assuming this is the will you have a copy of.

I believe it is Timothy Robinson III son of Timothy Robinson Jr. here who was married to Mary Allen.  A record of that is found at Genealogy Trails website which lists transcribed Strafford County NH Friends meeting records.  You will find the transcription as Timothy Robinson, son of Timothy and Mary Robinson, of the town of Dover, in ye province of New Hampshire, in New England, and Mary Allen daughter of Francis and Hannah Allen, of ye town of Kittery, in ye province of ye Massachusetts Bay, married in Dover, September 24, 1730.  As further backup of this marriage, Francis Allen leaves a will that lists a married daughter, Mary Robinson.

Sadly we also learn on the same website that earlier Quaker records are not extant.  The exact date of the organization of the Friends Society, in Dover, is not known but the old book of records, of the society, is said to have been lost.  The book now known as Volume 1 is probably not truly Volume 1. The first marriage certificate, recorded in that book, bears date 7 Nov 1701 which is nearly a decade after the timeframe of the marriage you seek for Timothy Robinson and Mary Roberts.

I hope some of this is helpful!

Best wishes
Jean

Offline EmmaPettit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Timothy Hamilton - New Hampshire?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 October 16 05:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information Jean.

This has given me more to work with.

I had come across a few things saying that Timothy had married a Roberts but could find nothing that actually verified it but it is the most believed thing.
Even a couple of books and articles put together by an ancestor Rev. Alonzo Hall Quint believes that Timothy married a Roberts.
One can only assume the proof has been lost in one of the Dover archive fires and I'll just have to work off the common belief that this is fact.

I thank you again for taking the time to help me with this matter. It is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Emma
Pettit -Cambridgeshire UK - QLD Australia
Bird - Huntingdonshire UK - QLD Australia
Rickert - Germany-Australia
Ford - QLD Australia
Hussey - New Hampshire USA
Ellis - New Hampshire USA - QLD Australia
Bickford, Hall, Lilley, Stearn, Savidge