Author Topic: 1891 census Jane Walker who is she?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1891 census Jane Walker who is she?
« on: Friday 14 October 16 14:01 BST (UK) »
I wonder if some wise folk might be able to advise me.  On the 1891 census entry for the household of Duncan Walker at 196 West Regent Street, Glasgow is an entry for a Jane Walker. a Scholar, aged 16 supposedly born in Kilmarnock.  I have assumed that she was the daughter of Duncan Walker's wife Jane previously McVean, previously, Yates nee Miller.  I can find no other record for this girl, neither a birth nor another entry with the Walker family in 1881 or 1901, under any of the surnames.  Duncan Walker is my husband's great grandfather and I have all the other records and information for him.  Jane Miller was his second wife and at the supposed date of this girl's birth was divorced 5 years from her 1st husband Daniel Yates and was months away from her marriage to her 2nd husband Alexander McVean, great grandfather Walker was her third husband. Could she be an illegitimate child of Jane's or perhaps the daughter of a sibling?

I feel that I am rambling now but I am intrigued and would love to know who she was and what happened to her.  Any guidance or thoughts would be much appreciated.  isk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 census Jane Walker who is she?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 October 16 14:16 BST (UK) »
Many of us only have access to transcriptions of Scotland censuses [images only available for credits on SP]. What is the relationship of Jane to Duncan?

Do you have Jane [Miller] in 1881? ADDED: or her parents [young Jane's grandparents]?

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 October 16 14:20 BST (UK) »
On ancestry it says adopted daughter
Rosie

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 October 16 14:24 BST (UK) »
Ah thanks Rosie, didn't actually look on ancestry [wasn't sure all fields had been transcribed].
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 October 16 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Isk is that Duncan Walker 216 West Regent Street Glasgow occupation wine merchant with a different wife Catherine J Walker ?
Rosie

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 October 16 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hello all
Sorry meant to say it said she was Duncan's 'adopted daughter', that what intrigued me in the first place. rosie17 yes that's the same man but that is the 1901 census.  He also married three times.  isk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 October 16 15:00 BST (UK) »
Her name being Jane makes it tempting to think that she is Jane snr's daughter but isn't guaranteed. Sorry to say this but if adopted from outside or elsewhere in either Jane snr or Duncan's families she may have been registered with almost any name.

Did Jane snr have children with Daniel Yates or Alexander McVean that we could search for in 1881 to find Jane snr?

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 October 16 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hello all
Sorry meant to say it said she was Duncan's 'adopted daughter', that what intrigued me in the first place. rosie17 yes that's the same man but that is the 1901 census.  He also married three times.  isk
Yes forgot to put 1901 census   :-[
Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 October 16 16:16 BST (UK) »
It would probably be prudent to take a look at the original census record on SP, just in case there's some error in the various transcriptions.

I take it that you have checked for Jane jr with name variants, for example Jean/Jeanie/Jeannie?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.