Author Topic: Smart meters  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Smart meters
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 14:44 GMT (UK) »
How about a 'dumb 'smart meter?
Had one installed 11months ago, initially reading available on website after logging in.
Readings on smart unit shows current power usage, resets at the end of each month.
Current usage is less than my direct debit usage with a current over payment equal to 2months.
Trying to reduce my direct debit to allow for a refund?
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 14:48 GMT (UK) »
The whole idea is to increase their cashflow, no chance.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 15:10 GMT (UK) »
To save money, with a smart meter, you have to switch something off.

So cold food, or no central heating, or reading in the dark, or no internet!

Do the suppliers think that we switch on all our appliances just for fun? Just because we like to pay over the odds all the time?

In all fairness to all, something might be left on - but no more than a few hours. Every time I leave the house, or at the end of the day, before bed, I do the tour round the house and switching off or checking as necessary. I don't require some gadget to tell me that.

Regards,

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 15:23 GMT (UK) »
I've never heard any consumer say anything good about having a smart metre. I would definitely not have one. There are many reports that it is very difficult to change suppliers once you have them. There are extensive reports on the internet and the only people that recommend them are the energy suppliers.

Martin

I take it you have not read my reply at the start of this thread (reply number 2 I think).
I am very much in favour of smart meters.

They have saved me well over £400 a year for the last 4 or 5 years. They have enabled me to change my direct debit at will.
They have enabled me to get refunds at will when I have been overcharged.

In short I now have the power over what I spend on gas & electricity rather than being at the whim of the power company and spending a fortune hanging on the telephone trying to get someone in authority to sort out any problems I may have.

Sorry but that is not correct, you can save money by simply turning the central heating down a couple of degrees and not notice the difference.
A longer term saving comes with changing light bulbs to LED light bulbs I have changed all the light bulbs in my Yorkshire house and now I could leave every light on in the house for the same price as it used to cost me to run my 3 living room lights.  The downside of changing to LEDS is of course the higher cost of the bulb but even that will be saved over the life of the bulbs.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 15:41 GMT (UK) »
My husband asked the energy supplier about ways to save money without having a smart meter, he was told to switch off the microwave at the wall as the clock costs £32 per year to run!!  I can't see how as I do understand wattage and consumption. Does leaving things on standby really make a difference? (I don't usually.)

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 16:05 GMT (UK) »
I've just been searching and it's more like £3 per year, why would they tell him such rubbish?!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 16:38 GMT (UK) »
I've just re-read this thread and as far as I can see the people who are negative about smart meters are those who don't have them. I've now had mine for quite a few years, no problems and no having to submit readings as the meter reader called when I'm out.

If you want to change supplier there is no problem, but you may find your smart meter loses its functionality and reverts to being a traditional meter and you might have to go back to giving regular meter readings to your new supplier.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 18:20 GMT (UK) »
The main pro is that our current meters are situated in places that make it difficult to read - one very close to the ceiling in the kitchen (13 ft high) and one very close to the floor in the downstairs loo. So I have to get on my knees with a torch for one and climb on a tall step ladder for the other. It's Ok at the moment (early 70s) but in another 10 years or so, it might be more difficult.

My dad recently moved into a house where the meter was awkward for him to reach (he's 84) and to our amazement the energy company came and moved it to an outside wall completely free of charge - all he had to pay for was the metal housing unit, which from memory was around £20.
[/quote

Gadget, a close neighbour has recently had their meter moved from ceiling height in the front porch to an outside position in a cabinet at the rear of the property,  there was no charge.  I dont know which company they are with but it would seem worth while applying, you may be in luck.

Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 16:16 GMT (UK) »
I take it you have not read my reply at the start of this thread (reply number 2 I think).
I am very much in favour of smart meters.
Actually you were a bit ambivalent:
We would not be without one but if we had not got used to having them we would not miss them
And many of the advantages you describe don't apply to those of us who only have one property.

Sorry but that is not correct, you can save money by simply turning the central heating down a couple of degrees and not notice the difference.
If I did that every time someone suggested it, the temperature in my home would now be close to freezing. There's only so many times you can drop it by a couple of degrees, and I'm told that as you get older you tend to need it a bit warmer anyway.

I've just re-read this thread and as far as I can see the people who are negative about smart meters are those who don't have them.
That may be because we can see the flaws in the original scheme and refuse to collude with something so inherently wasteful:
If you want to change supplier there is no problem, but you may find your smart meter loses its functionality and reverts to being a traditional meter and you might have to go back to giving regular meter readings to your new supplier.
In other words there is a problem. If you change supplier and want to get the smart functionality back you have to get another new meter. What resources does it take to manufacture and fit the new one, and who pays for it, if not ultimately the consumer/taxpayer? And what happens to the old one - landfill?

It seems to me that the scheme as originally set up was devised in such as way as to dissuade customers from changing supplier, and I have no intention of supporting it until a proper scheme is in place which allows the customer to take full advantage of a competitive market without the current drawbacks.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk