Author Topic: Northcliffe Convalescent Home - Filey  (Read 6943 times)

Offline Carolann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Northcliffe Convalescent Home - Filey
« on: Sunday 24 July 05 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to find any information, however small on the Northcliffe Convalescent Home in Filey.  My mother was there sometime in 1945 recovering I think from kidney stone problems, I have a photograph of the place and one of her and a group of people who were there at the same time as her.  I belive the convalescent home was something to do with the Printer's union, mam worked for Hull Printers from 1939 (when she left school) throughout the war until she married in 1946.  Her maiden name was Muriel Singleton - sadly she died in 1997, so I can't ask her any more questions.

Northcliffe itself is still there today, it has been developed into separate apartments, but the gardens are now open to the public and I often sit there when we visit.

If anyone knows anything at all about the convalescent home, however small, I would be interested in finding out.

Many thanks

Carol
Hull, East Yorkshire
GREEN, HOBSON, WILLOUGHBY, FARROW - Hull East Yorks
SAYERS, DOBNEY, GRANT, CROFT, HARE - Lincs
SINGLETON, FOGG, BROCKLEBANK - Lancashire
SINGLETON - Cumberland
PAGAN, GRAY, CALDWELL, NAISMITH - Scotland
CHEESMAN, WHITE, WATTS, GAINS, - Hampshire/Surrey
NASH, BULLMAN, PATE, LOFTUS/LOFFEST - London
HOSTY - Ireland to Chicago to Durham

Offline Martial7

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Northcliffe Convalescent Home - Filey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 01:25 BST (UK) »
Dear Carol,

I was interested to come across your post when looking for some information on Northcliffe.

My aunt, Marie Deacon was the resident Matron at Northcliffe from the early fifties until 1962. Her husband, Ken, was the Superintendent (administrator).

Marie's Father (my grandfather) was the maintenance foreman at Tyn-y-Coed convalescent home in Llandudno, run by the Birmingham Hospital Saturday Fund. It provided convalescent breaks for industrial workers from the Midlands. I always assumed Marie had applied for the job because it was in some way connected to the BHSF.

I enjoyed many holidays at Northcliffe as a child.  The gardens were lovely and I remember being fascinated by the goldfish pond! We used to travel up to Filey from North Wales, as a family of four, on a motorbike and sidecar.

Best wishes,

David Williams