Author Topic: Creepy goings on.  (Read 9189 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Creepy goings on.
« Reply #36 on: Monday 24 October 16 01:37 BST (UK) »
I am fairly sure that there is not any RChat policy that's stopping us from using the word Ancestry in our posts when referring to submitted trees at Ancestry dot  whatever.

No, I'm sure there isn't. 

I find that I can't use the abbreviation F M P because RC overrides it to show the full name (see what happens if I leave out the spaces: FindMyPast )

So if we have to mention FindMyPast in full, it must surely be acceptable to mention Ancestry.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 24 October 16 01:52 BST (UK) »
I was told by someone who is very computer knowledgeable etc. that RC "must" be paid to advertise F M P & that's why the full descriptive name appears when no spaces are included  :P  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 24 October 16 07:20 BST (UK) »
I agree with much that you say hsfam.  But my heart sinks when I see a tree with thousands of people. 

A distant cousin has a large tree and we've exchanged information.

She is adding a LOT of side branches (including OUR side branches) and the sources are "Ancestry Family Trees".  She isn't verifying anything or getting original certificates.  I suspect this copying of trees is the reason another cousin has recently made her tree private.  I think adding in-laws is fine if you take more than two seconds to think about whether the connection looks right.  I doubt that some people give each person they add more than two seconds of research.

Her information about our mutual relatives is good but further out it's not.  I don't think that's helping anyone.

I admit I don't think that much about the in laws of my aunts and uncles etc but at the same time I believe my research to be as accurate as it can be.  I check the marriage certificate and cross reference it to check it is my aunt or uncle's (however many greats).  The rest of the information on the certificate I just record. So my reference to the in laws is as accurate as the marriage certificate is.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 24 October 16 07:21 BST (UK) »
I think that the reason do not use the full name of ancestry is because if you do this thread will crop up on a google search a lot earlier than if it was not used.
 This thread will probably put a lot of people off of using RootsChat, and maybe even deter them from pursuing genealogy.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 24 October 16 07:58 BST (UK) »
I was told by someone who is very computer knowledgeable etc. that RC "must" be paid to advertise F M P & that's why the full descriptive name appears when no spaces are included  :P  ???

Annie

RootsChat software transcribes some abbreviations into English.
F M P is one, as is O M G

Which get transcribed as FindMyPast and Blimey! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 24 October 16 08:30 BST (UK) »
Blimey  FindMyPast

Edit.  So it does! I learn something new every day.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 24 October 16 11:02 BST (UK) »
I think that the reason do not use the full name of ancestry is because if you do this thread will crop up on a google search a lot earlier than if it was not used.

But why would that matter to anybody?  In any case, the word 'ancestry' must appear in countless places on the internet every day.  It's a great deal less distinctive than ... the name of the other main genealogy site
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 24 October 16 15:00 BST (UK) »
Surely anyone typing the word "ancestry" into "google" is interested in genealogy   ::)

So why would that put anyone off coming to Rootschat  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY