Author Topic: Creepy goings on.  (Read 9199 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Creepy goings on.
« Reply #54 on: Monday 24 October 16 16:59 BST (UK) »
Why is there a need for speed?
How many milliseconds does it save, typing Anc* instead of Ancestry?

Possibly depends on how well your know your keyboard - as an ex-Secretary it is much easier for me to type out the full title, rather than have to remember where * is (how often do you use * ?)

Yes, I do use "FindMyPast" rather than the full title.  That didn't work, did it?   ;D ;D  Should have perhaps used F M P  :-\

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 01:25 BST (UK) »
........ I found someone had put grandparents' wedding on ancestry along with 3 generations back -- each side. Its all there granddad's service, nana's dead sister etc. A stupid picture of a 1920's woman to represent nan.
I couldn't even determine which side they came from they had so much of both. they can not be related to both sides.
Dad was an only child. This is identity theft.

Dad's father died when dad was 13 in 1939. The tennis club paid for her house and dad had legacy for support and the only rellie's he knew were his uncle bill (actually his dad's cousin) and his mum's cousin Fairy (a second cousin I think) and Aunt Adelaide who had no children of her own.
Nan took in washing and boarders to make ends meet..........

Hi there

I am fairly sure that phenolphthalein’s grandfather’s death in 1939 occurred in Australia.  I apologise if I am wrong.

But if he died in Australia,  may I please mention that any member of the general public would be able to access the official record of the civil registration of that death simply by ordering a copy of the death certificate.   

There are eight separate jurisdictions across Australia and each has their own parliaments.  Six of those parliaments date from the colonial era (19th century) and each has their own system of civil registrations of BDM.     

If grandfather died in New South Wales, then the 1939 dc would be available from NSW BDM as part of the historic records, so any person including people who are not family members, and people who are not seeking to compile a family history chart, can purchase that document without providing any identification to the NSW BDM.    So people researching medical issues in a location or in a particular era, or people looking at local history, are some of the people who may be interested in that 1939 death.

A NSW BDM death certificate is likely to contain a great depth of information, so too a Queensland dc, and a Victorian dc, and a Western Australia dc.     The information can include identifying details about people who were living at that time (in this instance 1939).   The system is informant driven and dates from the mid 1850s.  One of the administrative functions of a funeral director is the completing and the lodgement of the paperwork for the formal issuing of the NSW BDM (Registrar-General’s) certificate. 

My involvement in family history dates from ummmmmmm back in the late 1950s ..... (so I have been around fh buffs since before it was a popular hobby, and definitely pre internet !, but while the research tools have changed, the concept of seeking out primary sources to validate and to find new questions to pose, has not  :) )

So, a NSW BDM dc from 1939 for a chap who was a married man and who had a child aged 13 would likely include the following:

Grandfather's (the deceased’s)
 :) full names (given and surname)
 :) sex
 :) age (at death)
 :) where born
 :) date and place where he died (including in some instances the full street address)
 :) usual place of residence (including in some instances the full street address)
 :) occupation (including in some instances the employer’s name)
 :) marital status (single, married, divorcee  petitioner, divorcee respondent, widower)
 :) where married (including in some instances the name of the church, the street address, and not just the town, state, country).
 :) Age when married, and the name of his spouse (so Nan’s full name when she married Grandfather, plus any former names that she may have been known by).
 :) The names of the living children of the marriage listed in chronological order with their then age next to their name, and at least the gender of any who had not survived. 
 :) The names of Grandfather’s parents, including if possible his mum’s nee name

(I pause and comment ...  so basically the above is the information most frequently collected by the funeral director when speaking with family when making the arrangements for the funeral, and from a family history perspective, we need to remember that it is information likely sourced from grieving family members so it can be misunderstood by the recorder as well as the questions may be misunderstood by the informants). 

:) The name and address and relationship of the informant to the deceased is recorded on the certificate. Perhaps it would be Grandfather's widow who provided the information.

:) Cause/s of death, and duration of the illness
This is information certified by the medico or by the coroner if an inquest was held.

:) Burial/cremation details
This is information certified by the funeral director, includes naming the cemetery/crematorium and may include noting the denomination.

In NSW, there is restricted access to the death registration for the first thirty years after the death.    That restricted access provides some personal privacy to the living persons named on that civil registration.     All the Australian states and territories have their own laws, regulations and practices that provide restricted access, and not all have a 30 year limit on death certificates (some may have longer, some shorter).

But the depth of detail on NSW BDM dcs is extensive. 

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/registry-records.aspx

ADD (on NSW BDM dc)
 :) How long in Australia (as per informant)

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 02:26 BST (UK) »
In short JM,

The restrictions of downloadable certs. from SP (scotlandspeople) do not apply when ordering by phone (I haven't used any other method).

I have had to order 2 birth certs. within the given restriction dates but (by telephone), I have had to give d/y.o.b (approx), parents names & where born.

The same info. can be had if visiting one of the main SP Centres, with no restrictions.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 02:58 BST (UK) »
KG & BB,

Why is there a need for speed?
How many milliseconds does it save, typing Anc* instead of Ancestry?

Possibly depends on how well your know your keyboard - as an ex-Secretary it is much easier for me to type out the full title, rather than have to remember where * is (how often do you use * ?)

Yes, I do use "FindMyPast" rather than the full title.  That didn't work, did it?   ;D ;D  Should have perhaps used F M P  :-\

KG,

My opinion on that was not referring to speed in terms of "milliseconds" & I think most people reading it would have got my meaning?
Someone who types with 1 finger would find that quicker even although they know where each key is & as we are in the stage of "txt typing" that's how we do things.

So it's ok to type F M P, SP, FS etc. but not A* (finger on caps lock for both A & *) typed with 1 finger & was quicker than F spacebar M spacebar P  ::)

BB,

Regarding using the '*', you'd be surprised how many of us know exactly where that key is, having many surnames with many variants & having to use it frequently.

I could name a very prominent RC'r on here who would find it difficult not using the '*' & that person has admitted that it is a personal preference because of variants/ transcription errors & would be 'lost without it' (one of our best researchers) ;D

Sometimes if we use a bit of thought we can come up with a feasible answer  ???

I just wonder why you both picked out my 'thought' with negative replies?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 07:15 BST (UK) »
KG & BB,

I just wonder why you both picked out my 'thought' with negative replies?

Annie

My reply wasn't intended to be "negative"?
It's just that I reckon I can type out the full name of Ancestry just as quick as typing any shortened form?

Maybe it's because I have been in IT since I left school? And, while I am not a competent touch-typist, I do use more than a couple of fingers? ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 07:38 BST (UK) »
My apologies Annie, my response was not intended to be negative.  :'(
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 16:06 BST (UK) »
Returning to the idea that "married-ins" should not be added to trees, when I was fairly confident I'd got good accuracy on main lines, just for interest, I started pottering about on married-ins - and two or three times that's been incredibly helpful clearing up problems.
On one side, doing that and then going back 80 years and drawing it all out as a tree helped untangle a massively confused family - basically whatever the surname was, they were all cousins/ married to cousins/ related to cousins of each other!! The tree I drew out after that marathon could have been used as a pattern for bobbin lace, it was so convoluted in threads - but it did "prove out", and I'd never ever have sorted that mob out without pottering back on that married in line, which gave me further clues, that proved right when i followed them up.
I really don't think that means I've hijacked anyone's family or ancestry, just clarified how and where they linked in over several generations, to the main line.
It's perfectly clear with all that information, but it wasn't without it. I don't "do" public trees, but would help out if someone asked me directly about any of that mob, for anyone would have been confused who was who there. In fact, I have done so, and was not accused of kidnapping a family group, but thanked for untangling it.
Can't really see that as creepy goings on - it's not intended, I'm sure to debase one's own personal links, if independently people come to the same results, and relationships should be clear.
I agree though that's not at all the same as online trees "Adopting" huge wodges of other people's trees, just because it's "near enough", that's simply sloppy and not serious research, and could mislead beginners badly.
Don't worry about people linking with your trees - if the info's right, then that's a good thing. If it's wrong, either point it out, and hope they are clever enough and polite enough to amend their tree, or relax, and try to forget them and their mistakes.
After all, if you KNOW you're right ....then you're in the right.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 13:40 GMT (UK) »
To add to the idea of researching "married in" individuals, it can also be extremely helpful to research all the families that lived in a single village as it will invariably turn up some mutual ancestors, potentially breaking down some brick walls.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Agreed.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)