Author Topic: Burial in Brampton 1837  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial in Brampton 1837
« on: Friday 21 October 16 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
Found a William Johnson in Death Duty registers who was living in Brampton when he died in 1837. Civil registration says July quarter in St Neots, so if anyone has access to Brampton burial registers for that time period would they do a quick lookup for his burial please? I am hoping that it will have his age and possibly residence.
Helen

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial in Brampton 1837
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 October 16 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hunts burial index has William Johnson, aged 28 buried at Brampton on 8 May 1837. Civil registration only began with the July-August-September quarter of 1837, and Brampton is in Huntingdon district, not St Neots, so I would think that the Brampton William Johnson's death would not have been registered, and the one whose death was registered in St Neots is not the same person.

added: The burial index shows a William Johnson aged 75 buried at Great Staughton (in St Neots district) on 21 August 1837.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 October 16 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hello have checked the burials from brampton registers
8.5.1837 william johnston aged 28,
also mary, aged 31.30.6.1835
mary  50  16.1.1835.Margaret.

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 October 16 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Galium
Many thanks for that, its a good job I asked as they are obviously two separate people!
Unfortunately that also rules him out as mine as the one i'm looking for is a retired soldier born in 1780, who was discharged in 1818 and possibly married 1819 in Hartford to become my ancestor!

The trouble is even the soldier might not be my ancestor as I cannot find out what happened to my William Johnson. Mine first appears at marriage to Elizabeth Harvey who was baptised in Warboys in 1794, and then goes on to have several children 1820-1835 in Wyton and Houghton and has disappeared again by 1841!

Could you possibly look in the Hunts burial index again and see if there are any likely candidates in the period 1835-1841 please? I'm afraid I don't have access to that index.
Helen

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 October 16 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi magslote
Many thanks, that confirms that he cannot be mine as it looks like a whole family of Johnsons living there and mine lived in Wyton.
Helen

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 October 16 13:28 BST (UK) »
Could you possibly look in the Hunts burial index again and see if there are any likely candidates in the period 1835-1841 please? I'm afraid I don't have access to that index.

The index to Huntingdonshire Burials is available free at FindmyPast at http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-united-kingdom-records-in-birth-marriage-death-and-parish-records/and_deaths-and-burials?_ga=1.20580016.986418603.1377269437 which should give you what you're looking for ie name, parish, year and birth year
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 October 16 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys
Thanks for all your help, unfortunately Galium, I don't think that the 75 year old is a candidate, but on the other hand, there don't seem to be any likely candidates for either the soldier or my ancestor.

It seems likely that the death(s) occurred out of county, so it is possible that the soldier re-enlisted as he was discharged for digestion problems, not wounds. He might also have been my ancestor and that's why I can't find him. Trouble is I don't think I'll be able to prove it either way!
Thanks again
Helen