Author Topic: Alexander?  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Cheskauk2013

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander?
« on: Sunday 23 October 16 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have made a post before Samuel Alexander (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=661530.msg5437480#msg5437480) however I have been trying to find his Father. The only information I have about it is all on this roots chat post. I am hoping someone might be able to help as I have hit a brick wall or just let me know if there is nothing I can do to find Samuel ALexander Kilday's Father.

Samuel is transcribed as Janet Kilday Alexander in 1891

Janet Alexander 34 but "she" is a pit sinker ???  b Ireland
Bridget Kilday 27 housekeeper b Kirkintilloch
Charles Kilday 5 b Kirkintilloch
Janet Kilday Alexander 1 b Kirkintilloch
Kirkintilloch ED 2 Page 16 Line 11

Doesn't look like she ever married Samuel. Charles was probably her illegitimate son by another man and Samuel born to her relationship with Samuel Alexander

Bridget is listed as Widow on the 1911 census (Scotland's people). Birth certificate for Samuel Kilday he is listed as illegitimate child of Bridget Kilday born 1889 Kirkintolich, Dunbartonshire and died 1959 Govan. He has two brothers James A and Charles. Samuel Kilday Alexander, on his marriage cert has Samuel Alexander Iron Foundry Labourer (deceased) as Father and Bridget Alexander,M.S Kilday (deceased) as his Mother.

Any help much appreciated,

:)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 October 16 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you looked at the original 1891 Census on Scotlands People for this family.

If Samuel has been transcribed as Janet Kilday Alexander....(obviously poor handwriting to blame  ::) ) could the Janet Alexander age 34 Pit sinker b . Ireland actually be Samuel Alexander father of Samuel Kilday.   A pit sinker was unlikely to be female. This was a skilled man who sank new shafts. 

Looby :)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 October 16 23:24 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast shows on their transcription that Head of the House is indeed Saml. Alexander.

However, there is no trace of him on 1901 census, nor a death for him between 1891 and 1901.

So, all that is known of him is that he was born circa 1857 in Ireland and was a Pit Sinker in 1891.

I really don't see how you can identify him with such scant information.   He could have returned to Ireland or emigrated (although cannot see a likely entry in outgoing passenger lists).

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 October 16 08:13 BST (UK) »
I don't suppose there is a marriage in the Irish records, is there?

Where did the transcription of Samuel as Janet  ::) come from? Was it the notorious A******y? Have you looked at the original on Scotland's People?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Cheskauk2013

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 November 16 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you loobylooayr and yes I have the original 1891 census. That's good to know. I will go back and take another look at the census with this in mind:)

Thanks Annette7 what you say is very true. I have struggled trying to find anything but I hoped something might catch my eye. :)

Thanks Forfarian, I couldn't find a marriage record but the transcription of Janet is from Scotland's people.   Every record I have for his son is from Scotland's people.:)

:)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 November 16 16:53 GMT (UK) »
the transcription of Janet is from Scotland's people.   Every record I have for his son is from Scotland's people.:)
In which case, I suggest you contact them and tell them it's wrong. They will correct it eventually.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Cheskauk2013

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 November 16 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian.  :)