Author Topic: GILLETT Family from Musbury, Devon  (Read 984 times)

Offline Peter Ferreira

• RootsChat Member
  • Wilts, Dorset, Berks and Somerset ancestry
    • View Profile
GILLETT Family from Musbury, Devon
« on: Sunday 23 October 16 22:52 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate assistance in building up my GILLETT branch, detailed, as best I can, below.  This Gillett family group is related to me. 

Mary Anning, born about 1792, bp. Musbury on November 4th., 1792.  On September 15th., 1814, in Musbury, Mary married Francis Gillett, of High Ham, Somerset;  Francis and Mary farmed in High Ham, Somerset.  Then, in the early 1820s, they moved to farm in Musbury, Devon.  Francis and Mary had six children: 
i.   Henry Anning Gillett, born in High Ham, Somerset, about 1818.  In Q1 of 1848, in Axminster district, Henry married Sarah Roper.  Henry, a yeoman, died on September 10th., 1893, aged 75 years  -  M..I. in High Ham churchyard.  No known issue.   
ii.   Francis Jego Gillett, born in High Ham, Somerset, about 1819.  About Q2 of 1845, in St. Margaret’s Church, Westminster, London, Francis married Mary xxxx, who was born about 1822, and they farmed 206 acres in High Ham, Somerset (census of 1851), and then in Burton Bradstock, Dorset.     
iii.   Norris Jego Gillett, born about 1826, in Musbury, Devon.  In April 1852, in Yeovil district, Norris married Eliza Dight and had a large family.  Norris Jego Gillett, gentleman of Colyton, Devon.  Norris Jego Gillett 60 died in Axminster district, about Q4 of 1886.  Norris and Eliza had issue  -  I have details on eight known children therein. 
iv.   Samuel Sherrin Gillett, born in Musbury, Devon, about 1831  Samuel was enumerated with his brother Henry in Paddington, at the 1851 census. On May 30th., 1888, in St. Michael and All Angels, Bedford Park, in Brentford district, Mx., England, Samuel married Harriette Elizabeth Sherrin, who was born about 1844.   Samuel and Harriette had issue. 
v.   John William Gillett, born in Musbury, Devon, about 1833.  On April 9th., 1866, in Allington, Dorset, John married Mary Pearce, in the presence of Francis Gillett.  John William Gillett, gentleman, of Musbury, Devon.  This Gillett family lived in Musbury, Devon, at the 1871 census.  John and Mary had issue  -  I know of four children in this family.
vi.   Mary Anning Gillett, born in Musbury, Devon, about 1835.  About Q2 of 1859, in Langport, Somerset, she married John Dight.  They lived in Tintinhull and then in Martock, where John was a yeoman.  She died in Yeovil district in 1896.  John died in Marston Magna, Somerset, on July 27th., 1902.  John and Mary Anning Dight had issue  -  I know of 10 children in this family.

I would be delighted to correspond and share GILLETT family history notes with any researcher or descendant of this family, all cousins of mine. 

Best wishes. 

Peter Ferreira
Toronto, Canada.
ROPER of Chideock, Powerstock & Winterborne Whitchurch, Dorset
LAWRENCE of Wilts, and Berks
MAYO of Poxwell, Friar Waddon (Portesham) & Frome St. Quintin, Dorset
STONE of Piddlehinton, Dorset
CHISMAN of Castle Eaton & East Knoyle, Wilts
RUMSEY of West Knoyle & Mere, Wilts
HULL of Sutton Benger, Wilts & East Woodhay, Hants
FOWLER of Winterborne Whitchurch & Abbotsbury, Dorset, and of Cudworth, Som.
GAPPER of Winsham, Som.
PHELPS of Shepton Beauchamp, Som.
SYMONDS of Somerset & Dorset

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: GILLETT Family from Musbury, Devon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 October 16 13:28 BST (UK) »
In case you haven't got the information, there are several wills attributed to various Francis GILLETTs including Francis Of High Ham in 1861 (Executor Henry Anning GILLETT) and Francis Jego GILLETT of Bradstock died 26 Apr 1896 (Executor S.S. GILLETT) See https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 October 16 13:32 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peter Ferreira

• RootsChat Member
  • Wilts, Dorset, Berks and Somerset ancestry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 October 16 17:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your very constructive information and suggestions.  This family has now expanded significantly.  Here is the current expanded genealogical note: 

"  Mary Jego, daughter of Norris and Betty Jego, was baptized in Kingstone, on January 3rd., 1762.  On March 5th., 1792, in Kingstone church, Mary married Henry Anning, of Musbury, Devon, by licence, in the presence of Edward Stephens and Sarah Anning;  Henry and Mary lived in Musbury.  Mary, aged 39, died in Musbury on October 28th., 1801, buried there with M.I.;  Henry, aged 78, died there on January 6th., 1835, buried there with M.I..  Henry and Mary had only one child, a daughter: 
a.   Mary Anning, born about 1792, bp. Musbury on November 4th., 1792.  On September 15th., 1814, in Musbury, Mary married Francis Gillett, of High Ham, Somerset;  Francis and Mary farmed in High Ham, Somerset.  Then, in the mid -  1820s, they moved to farm in Musbury, Devon.  This family was in Musbury for the 1841 census, with 5 children.  At the 1851 census John William and Mary Anning were living with their parents;  the family was farming 149 acres in Musbury.  Francis, aged 69, died on January 9th., 1861 and was buried in High Ham churchyard, with M.I.  -  his executor was Henry Anning Gillett.    Mary, his widow, died at Musbury on December 5th., 1867, aged 75  -  M..I. in Musbury and in High Ham churchyard.  Mary’s will was probated in Exeter, Devon, on February 15th., 1868, by oaths of her sons, Norris Jego Gillett of Colyton, Devon, gentleman, and John William Gillett, of Musbury, gentleman, together with John Dight, of Tintinhull, Somerset, gentleman, the executors.  Francis and Mary had ten known children: 
i.   Francis Henry Gillett, born in High Ham, Somerset; bp. there November 4th., 1815.  He was buried there on December 23rd., 1818. 
ii.   Henry Anning Gillett, born in High Ham, Somerset, about 1817; bp. there on October 5th., 1817.  In Q1 of 1848, in Axminster district, Henry married Sarah Roper.  Henry, a yeoman, died on September 10th., 1893, aged 75 years  -  M.I. in High Ham churchyard.  On November 29th., 1893, probate was given to Samuel Sherrin Gillett, retired draper, and Joseph John Gillett, farmer.  Sarah, Henry’s widow, died on December 11th., 1898, aged 88 years  -  M.I. in High Ham churchyard and in Chideock, Dorset.  No known issue.   
iii.   Francis Jago/Jego Gillett,  born in High Ham, Somerset, about 1819;  there is no baptism in High Ham, on FreeReg.  On May 15th., 1845, in St. Margaret’s Church, Westminster, London, Francis married Mary Richards, who was born about 1822, both signed.  They farmed 206 acres in High Ham, Somerset (census of 1851), and then in Burton Bradstock, Dorset.  Mary was born in Aller, Somerset.  They are buried in Burton Bradstock  -  Francis died on April 26th., 1896, aged 76 and Mary on January 6th., 1909, aged 87.  The executor of Francis’ will was S. S. Gillett.  Children??   
iv.   Mary Elizabeth Gillett, bp in High Ham, Somerset, on December 14th., 1821.  She lived in Musbury, with her parents, at the time of the 1841 census.   
v.   Compton Ball Gillett, bp. in High Ham, Somerset, on January 31st., 1824.  This Compton Ball married Elizabeth Thorn about Q4 of 1849, in Axminster district, Devon.  He died there about Q3 of 1860.  Children??   
vi.   Norris Jago/Jego Gillett, born about 1826, in Musbury, Devon;  bp. in High Ham on April 7th., 1826..  In April 1852, in Yeovil district, Norris married Eliza Dight and they had a large family.  Norris Jego Gillett, gentleman of Colyton, Devon, was one of the executors of his mother’s will, who gave oath, in Exeter, Devon, in 1868.   By 1881, this Norris was retired, an annuitant, living in Portsea, Hants.  Norris Jego Gillett 60 died in Axminster district, about Q4 of 1886.  Norris and Eliza had issue. 
vii.   Joseph Gillett, born in Musbury Devon, about 1828.  He was living with his parents, in Musbury, for the 1841 census.   
viii.   Samuel Sherrin Gillett, born in Musbury, Devon, about 1831  Samuel was enumerated with his brother Henry in Paddington, at the 1851 census. On May 30th., 1888, in St. Michael and All Angels, Bedford Park, in Brentford district, Mx., England, Samuel married Harriette Elizabeth Sherrin, who was born about 1844.   Samuel, a retired draper, was present, in 1893, when his brother, Henry’s will was probated.  Samuel died in Burton Bradstock, Dorset, on April 18th., 1906.  Samuel and Harriette had issue. 
ix.   John William Gillett, born in Musbury, Devon, about 1833.  On April 9th., 1866, in Allington, Dorset, John married Mary Pearce, in the presence of Francis Gillett.  John William Gillett, gentleman, of Musbury, Devon, was one executor of his mother’s will, who made oath in Exeter, Devon, when that will was probated, in 1868.  This Gillett family lived in Musbury, Devon, at the 1871 census.  John and Mary had issue. 
x.   Mary Anning Gillett, born in Musbury, Devon, about 1835.  About Q2 of 1859, in Langport, Somerset, she married John Dight.  They lived in Tintinhull and then in Martock, where John was a yeoman.  She died in Yeovil district in 1896.  John died in Marston Magna, Somerset, on July 27th., 1902.  John and Mary Anning Dight had issue.   " 

Best wishes. 

ROPER of Chideock, Powerstock & Winterborne Whitchurch, Dorset
LAWRENCE of Wilts, and Berks
MAYO of Poxwell, Friar Waddon (Portesham) & Frome St. Quintin, Dorset
STONE of Piddlehinton, Dorset
CHISMAN of Castle Eaton & East Knoyle, Wilts
RUMSEY of West Knoyle & Mere, Wilts
HULL of Sutton Benger, Wilts & East Woodhay, Hants
FOWLER of Winterborne Whitchurch & Abbotsbury, Dorset, and of Cudworth, Som.
GAPPER of Winsham, Som.
PHELPS of Shepton Beauchamp, Som.
SYMONDS of Somerset & Dorset

Offline nellieagtha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 August 23 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have found a record for Joseph George Gillett emirgrating to Port Phillip Victoria Australia 12.03-1853. With him was his brother John William aged 19 which would match age wise. Joseph may of died 12-07-1854 in Victoria Australia. I think then John goes back to England. I am tracing John William Gillett that married Mary Pearce and came to NZ. Their second daughter married William David Gregson Everest 13-08-1902 at St Mary's Merivale Christchurch NZ. John William Gillett died 14.06.1874

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 August 23 09:44 BST (UK) »
Evans' and Ruffy's Farm Journal, 17 Feb 1817
It includes a Petition by the Somerset and Gloucestershire Association (Owners and Occupiers of Land in the Counties) re. the inadequacy of the Corn laws passed in 1815. Amongst the signatories -

"Francis Gillett, High Ham".

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 August 23 14:59 BST (UK) »
This post was started in 2016, hopefully Peter will get notified of replies.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk