Author Topic: Red devil took over - Ancestry/FTM Sync question  (Read 1716 times)

Offline instant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Red devil took over - Ancestry/FTM Sync question
« on: Tuesday 25 October 16 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've had FTM for years. Currently on FTM2014. I've never synced my tree but a few years ago I did upload it to Ancestry. I was not going to make any changes to the Ancestry tree but it was so easy I started to add little bits to see what it was like. To cut a long story short, I now have a FTM tree and an Ancestry tree which are basically the same but have different additional branches and I'd like to keep both. I know... shoot me now.

Might TreeSync help me?  After copious amounts of backups of course.

Any thoughts please. Many TIA.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Red devil took over - Ancestry/FTM Sync question
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, am not sure about this as I don't really use the sync function but I'm pretty sure your FTM tree will upload and amend as necessary the info held on the Ancestry site but am not convinced that it will work the other way around.

Expect someone who uses both will put me right.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Kevin Burrell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 13:23 BST (UK) »
I use FTM 2014 and it syncs both ways as there are times I add info to the tree on ancestry rather than on FTM. I have not noticed it losing any data from either of the trees but, to be safe, I would save both trees to Gedcom before syncing - just in case!!
Burrell - Mainly London area
Wallace - North-East England
Starling - London, Cambridge & Suffolk
Park - London, Derbyshire & Lancashire

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 13:35 BST (UK) »
As I understand it you want both trees and therefore don't want to sync as such.

First you need to unlink them - click on the Sync icon in FTM (top right), and within Sync options select unlink. You should then be able to import the Ancestry tree as a new FTM file, giving it a new name.   If you are sure you don't want to sync this 'new' FTM tree in future, just ensure the Link to Ancestry box is not ticked. 

Added: reading your post again I'm now not sure whether you want to keep both trees or the two different branches.  If its the branches then a normal Sync should achieve that.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline instant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 17:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your thoughts so far.

I have made various changes in all parts of the trees - both in FTM and on Ancestry, but generally in different places. Initially, I was very careful to document the changes I made in each but I have become slapdash and it is now out of control. So, basically I want to keep everything in both trees - but put it all back into one tree and keep going - perhaps using TreeSync to keep both up to date if it works.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 17:21 BST (UK) »
So, basically I want to keep everything in both trees - but put it all back into one tree and keep going - perhaps using TreeSync to keep both up to date if it works.

A normal Sync should do exactly what you want then.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline instant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 17:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I shall try it.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 11:12 BST (UK) »
Keep it up to date as Ancestry are withdrawing the "Sync" facility in December {as they are not continuing with FTM}- hopefully some else will continue with it :(

Kim

Offline instant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 October 16 09:01 BST (UK) »
mmm... December 2016 you say.

I've been searching online further. I actually uploaded the tree to Ancestry with FTM2009 and never linked them. I have since upgraded to FTM2014 (skipping FTM2012). The trees are not linked - so it looks like to keep all the changes I have made, I either have to download the tree from Ancestry and merge the two trees in FTM2014 and then upload and link, or... well I'm not sure there is another way.

I found this:
https://support.ancestry.co.uk/s/article/Re-linking-a-tree-between-Family-Tree-Maker-2012-2014-and-Ancestry-1460088589865#res2

The last time I merged two trees my sources went beserk - never again I said.

I did buy a copy of Rootsmagic when the news came out last December but after many years with FTM I am reluctant to give it up... yet...