Author Topic: Where Am I? No. 234 - Another one of those houses  (Read 6059 times)

Offline Primrose11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where Am I? No. 234 - Another one of those houses
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 29 April 17 16:43 BST (UK) »
Just to add my opinion. I was almost convinced that it was Longford House but various details decided me against it, namely the extension to the right seemed the same but the chimney is in the wrong place, and the white lines across the front of the building are not there. Also the road looks too small for the Watling Street?
The ground floor could have been changed and the additional bits and pieces added to the front however so maybe the other changes were made too. It is certainly very similar.
The white stones on the edges of the building are very distinctive so perhaps the same architect, therefore local to the Cannock area.
Hope someone has the answer.
BATE
CHILWELL
DRURY
McCOLL

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 29 April 17 17:17 BST (UK) »
I've been inspired to take another look, though I haven't got anywhere yet. I was wondering if the wing on the right hand side might be an older building that the Georgian one was built on to? Or just servants' quarters that didn't need to be so smart?

The white stones on the edges of the building are very distinctive so perhaps the same architect, therefore local to the Cannock area.

There don't seem to be that many houses with this feature, so it might be worth homing in on. Does anyone know the technical term for it? I saw one or two examples elsewhere in the Midlands, so in case "Staffs" is approximate or a mistake, maybe we should look a bit more widely.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 29 April 17 17:29 BST (UK) »
I think the term may be "quoins".

Regards
Roger

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 29 April 17 19:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you, quoins looks right - unlike the pics I've found so far.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Primrose11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 30 April 17 10:34 BST (UK) »
Would it be worth putting this on the Staffordshire page?
Searching via search engines has not produced a match unless it really is Longford House. Local knowledge seems more likely to find it.
P
BATE
CHILWELL
DRURY
McCOLL

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks

So amazed you're still at it!  Hopefully I'll be back soon to give you more grey hairs searching!

Caz

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hope so Caz! You have been missed  :D
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 09:23 BST (UK) »
Aw thanks Judy.  :-*   Been so busy these last few months, but hopefully the 'storm' is over and I can get back to what I love!

Caz

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 09:28 BST (UK) »
  :D :D :D

Keep posting your mystery photos! Keeps us all out of mischief  ;D
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"