Author Topic: Marriage lookup - St Matthews, Cambridge. Transcription error?!  (Read 1742 times)

Offline MET128

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup - St Matthews, Cambridge. Transcription error?!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 October 16 00:11 BST (UK) »
Yes i paid for the marriage certificate!! (And others!).
It's turning out to be VERY expensive!

I found what I believe to be the rest of his family on the 1911 census and they track back through the census history.

im just stuck on this marriage as the names don't add up.

I am sure someone wouldn't put a random middle name on a marriage certificate! But Rose Bertha Shipp does not appear to be aa common name so I'm sure it must be them. I just need to confirm it before moving on!

The son of Stanley and Rose is still alive and waiting to hear my research so I need to get it right!!

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 October 16 08:08 BST (UK) »
Perhaps silly questions  :-\

The marriage certificate you have (and I assume it has a fairly recent "certified" date) - are the details an obvious photocopy, or are all the details hand-written?  If they are photocopied, then they are as the register entry. 

How does the groom sign - just first name, both names, first name and initial or just initials?

Added:  Forget these questions, I see they have already been dealt with on the other thread.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 October 16 21:05 BST (UK) »
The Cambridgeshire County Council Camdex Register shows groom as Stanley A. Compton so expect that is the reply you will get from the Register Office:-

Camdex - Search
https://www.camdex.org.uk/search.cfm
CAMDEX - Births : Marriages : Civil Partnerships : Deaths. ... The Marriage/Civil Partnership option means that you can search for a person without knowing beforehand whether he/she is in a Marriage(M) or a Civil Partnership(CP). ... Cambridgeshire County Council Register Office.

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk