Author Topic: Information on Clyde Harry Cooke born to lilias freebody and John Arthur Cooke  (Read 5388 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Information on Clyde Harry Cooke born to lilias freebody and John Arthur Cooke
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 October 16 03:14 GMT (UK) »
So the RAAF stuffed up their reply to Mrs Doreen COOK.  Thought it was odd.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beck18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Information on Clyde Harry Cooke born to lilias freebody and John Arthur Cooke
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 October 16 03:54 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at the files and yes they did seem to stuff up! And changed his service number all different people!

Offline Beck18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 October 16 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone know at all if there were any photos of clydes parents Lilias May Freebody and John Arthur Cooke? born 1893 or 1897

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 30 October 16 04:22 GMT (UK) »
The file will at least give you the years and places Clyde was living in NSW.

They obviously made up....as Clyde was born 9 Apr 1925.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article69683820
Williamstown Chronicle 17 Jan  1920
MARITAL DIFFERENCES.
MOTHER-IN-LAW IS BLAMED.
John Arthur Cooke, a returned soldier, for whom Mr McComas appeared, was asked by his wife, at the local Court on Tuesday, for maintenance for herself and their child.
Mrs Lilias May Cooke said that defendant was her husband, with whom she could not live on account of "his dirty, low, lustful ways."
Her husband had taken the bed from under her, the day he was turned away from her mother's home. She had bought the bed, and the "duchesse", and the wardrobe, struggling to make a home.
To Mr McComas- My mother did not call him names. While he was at her mother's he paid her nothing. The last money he had given me was £3. When he went to the front he left me to draw £4/11/- every fortnight. He had not said when my mother (Mrs Freebody) ordered him out "All right, I will go, but I want my wife and child." My mother had not said "No you won't : I can afford to keep her on the money my dead son left me."
At interviews, she had, in December, her husband had not said to her that he had a home ready for her at Footscray. He is a "most audacious man for telling lies." She had not told her husband she was ready to go to him as she could not " put up with her mother any longer." Nor had she made appointments to meet him.
She had replied to the Mayor, when he had suggested going in for a house, " Not for a while."
The defence given was that Cook had offered his wife a home at Pilgrim street, Footscray, but she insisted on living with her mother.
He was getting £3 a week and was quite prepared to maintain his wife and child.
John A. Cooke, assistant slaughter man, gave evidence on the lines sketched by his counsel. He did not know the real cause of the trouble.
He could take her to a home straight away. The furniture there had been provided' by the Repatriation Department.
She had told the Mayor she could not put up with her mother. He told her he had rented a place at 16/6 per week.
Mr H. Hick.-You know you had no right to take that furniture away: it belonged to your wife.
The Bench adjourned the case for a fortnight, to give the parties an opportunity to come together. Meanwhile, Cooke must pay his wife £1 per week for her maintenance.
Cooke agreed to this course.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 30 October 16 04:25 GMT (UK) »
my grandfather "Clyde Harry Cooke" his mothers name is Lilias May Freebody (formerly) and his fathers name John Arthur Cooke son of John Arthur Cooke who died in a mining accident in eaglehawk Bendigo (formerly) Sandhurst[[/color]/b]!

You have the wrong parents for John Arthur/Arthur John COOKE.  His father was alive when he enlisted in 1919.  He enlisted as Arthur.
http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/NAAMedia/ShowImage.aspx?B=3401426&S=1&T=P

At the addresses recorded on attestation papers.

Australian Electoral Roll
COOKE Thomas Edward  66 Thomson Street, Albert Park   Carpenter

Mother in law...
FREEBODY Lilias Christiana  6 Council Lane, Williamstown  HD.

Cando

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 30 October 16 04:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Death of Mrs Lilian Christina Freebody, 1921.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/69513278?searchTerm=

Gerry

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 30 October 16 04:55 GMT (UK) »
I wonder who were his parents on this marriage certificate

Indexed both as COOK and COOKE

COOKE John Arthur
FREEBODY Lilias May
1917 Reg# 462

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 30 October 16 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Lilias May COOKE nee FREEBODY and her parents are buried in the same grave at Williamstown Cemetery.

http://www.gmct.com.au/deceased-search.aspx

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 30 October 16 05:08 GMT (UK) »
I think these are Arthur John/John Arthur parents....it appears his birth wasn't registered.

Australian Electoral Roll
COOKE Jane Cecilia  68 Heath Street, Port Melbourne  HD
COOKE Thomas Edward  68 Heath Street, Port Melbourne  Carpenter.

Cando